A budget of max 1k Australian

I play Classic Rock, Progressive rock and a progressive metal. As much as the occasional jam with highish distortion. I don't really want an amp that is massively dependant on it. Also I don't see the need of having a 50/100 watt halfstack and play it on one or two... not saying i wouldn't love one but still.

I have a amp that every semi beginner guitarist has, MG30DFX.
Fender MIM HSS
Epiphone LP-100
Zoom G2
Boss DS-1

I've been playing or 2 years and I want to define my playing with a tube amp.

Right now im set on a Blackheart Little Giant, but im kind of having 2nd thoughts.
I mean even with a pedal I should be able to get a semi decent distortion right?

Also the V18 212 is a little bit extra, but is the 60-80 AUS worth it?

Also rec me some amps to look into.

EDIT:
*I know theres a search bar*
Last edited by silly hats at Sep 30, 2008,
$1000 AUS max??
Theres not many tube amps you can get for that price but:

Peavey Valveking 112 combo - $995RRP
Thats if you can actually FIND a shop thats sells Peaveys....

OR

One of the new Bugera Combo's, Probably the 333 or 33XL rather than the 6260 or 6262.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
If you're not absolutly set on a tube amp, i have a very good deal going on my Flextone II. Sounds great, retails for about $1300 for just the combo, i have the foot switch and cab bringing the total to around $2000 new.

Not trying to talk up the amp I'm selling, but i honestly believe you wont find a much better amp unless your lucky and find another used amp.

If you have to go tube, the valveking comes to mind. If you don't do any gigging, the Peavey JSX mini colossal sounds great. That is if you dont mind having a 5 watt amp with an 8" speaker (May be 10")

Let me know about my amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I tried one in Billy Hyde, I didn't really like it tbh.

But a Little Giant is more than enough to be loud in a house right? And buy a nice pedal with birthday money later...

Also I think the LG looks great, It also kindof caters my half stack envy.
You wont get into metal territory with it though without a distortion pedal. Then it wouldn't sound like a tube amp as it'd be overridden with solid state distortion. Try it out if you can before you buy.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I already have, and i don't play much metal anyway and if I do its pretty much genuine heavy metal like Judas priest and Maiden.

So I play quietprog rock, think Opeth damnation.
I just bought a Legacy Blues Twin which is a Epiphone Blues Custom rebadged for the Aussie Market and I freaking LOVE it. You could easily get it and a good OD pedal (to get you into thrash/metal territory) for under your 1k budget.

Try one out and see what you think.
Im gonna settle with the Little Giant, also would there be a major tone suck if I use the reverb and chorus from my Zoom G2?
Quote by silly hats
Im gonna settle with the Little Giant, also would there be a major tone suck if I use the reverb and chorus from my Zoom G2?

good choice ^^
I got a blackheart not too long ago and trust me it's loud enough for home practice as long as you don't need too much head room (5 watts is not enough to get shimmering cleans at a high level or actually even at decent levels). I'm not a fan of digital processors but as for the G2, since the blackheart takes pedals fairly well, if your G2 didn't cause you any trouble with other amps then you shouldn't worry too much. Also, if you decide to buy one make sure to change out the tubes (since the stock ones are pretty cruddy) and IF you know what you're doing (risk of shock, serious injuries, death etc) REROUTE THE WIRING!!! Out of the box there will be some hum but 10 minutes twisting and rerouting the wires will get rid of most of it. As for the choice of tubes, I liked the less gainy (?) 12at7 but right now i'm running on a tungsol 12ax7 and a jj el84. Since the amp doesn't require re-biasing, it's a good way to try different tubes and see what kind of sounds you can make. Also, if you can afford it and maybe would like a little more oomph out of the amp, try skipping the matching 1x12 blackheart cabinet and try investing in a 2x12 cabinet with decent speakers, you should be able to get a much bigger sound.
Quote by Jaksar
I just bought a Legacy Blues Twin which is a Epiphone Blues Custom rebadged for the Aussie Market and I freaking LOVE it. You could easily get it and a good OD pedal (to get you into thrash/metal territory) for under your 1k budget.

Try one out and see what you think.

I would easily pick this amp over the Blackheart for what you are doing. You are shorting yourself greatly if you don't try this and compare it to the Blackheart.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
o btw, what i said above about not needing rebiasing, that's only if you're planning to stay with the 12ax7 and el84 combination. If you're planning to try other combinations then rebiasing is prolly a good idea.
o and if you want to run 2 2x12 cabinets go for it. I tried running my through 4x12 at 4 ohms and it was LOUD!