Hey guys!
This is a question i have been wondering for quite sometime in music but have always been too embarased to ask. The question is I have really no clue when musicians are saying 1sts 2nds 3rds 5ths? I really have no idea what it means.
Can someone please explain?
Thank you
by your explanation, i think they are referring to intervals.
for example in a key a c major

C would be the 1st
D would be the 2rd
E would be the 3rd (a C major chord would be formed from this)
G would be the 5th ( as in a C power chord)
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
A scale has 8 degrees, with the 8th being the Octave. The 8th is the same note as the first, but double the frequency etc etc.

In C major the degrees in order are -

C D E F G A B

When we build chords we build in 3rds, so a major chord used degrees 1 3 5 which is-
C E G

Due to the circle of fifths, subsequent keys from C major start to get sharps, for example G major is-
G A B C D E F#

then D Major-

D E F# G A B C#

D major is built from 1 3 5 in the D Major scale which is-
D F# A

Read some basic lessons on this site, then ask more specifics here.

Learning is fun. honest.
Quote by Loco23
So wats an intveral?
lol

An interval is the distance between the 2 degrees in a scale. Most commonly defined from the root of a scale or chord.

Examples.

A major 3rd is the distance from the root to the 3rd in the C Major scale. This is C to E.

A perfect 5th is the distance from C to G.

musictheory.net has really good interval lessons. you will have to google that, becasue i don't know the exact link.