When I alternate pick, I play with the pick almost vertical to the strings. It works fine, but when I stand up I get a problem. My arm is not as arched as I play sitting down, so it makes alternate picking or picking fastly feel like a whole new level of playing guitar. I'm pretty sure this is my problem on why I am really inaccurate when I play standing up, is it? If so, is there any way to shake it?
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Just try to play Petrucci-style with the guitar damn near in your arm pit.
The only real way is to keep working on doing at the other way which works when standing up.

It will be hard at first but eventually it will come naturally

alternate picking is probaly one of the hardest but most useful things beginners learn
Quote by Ekofu
Just try to play Petrucci-style with the guitar damn near in your arm pit.

I tried too, but I almost seem as/more uncomfortable as playing it groin height.

But thats a problem, because my groin ends several feet below my waist.

EDIT: I wouldn't really call myself a beginner anymore, I play 2-3 hours a day and have been for about 1 1/2 years.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
you have to practise standing up. it's simple as that. i dont think there is a better way.

force yourself to get used to that whole new level of playing. seriously, i do think sitting down and standing up are two completely unrelated ways to play guitar.

you cant practise sitting down and expect to improve your playing when you're standing up.
Last edited by daryle_goh at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by daryle_goh
you have to practise standing up. it's simple as that. i dont think there is a better way.

force yourself to get used to that whole new level of playing. seriously, i do think sitting down and standing up are two completely unrelated ways to play guitar.

you cant practise sitting down and expect to improve your playing when you're standing up.

Yeh i will agree
you can get people who sit around on there bed playing all day

but as soon as they get a strap nad want to perform they find it near impossible

try and work through some things standing up
and remeber jack black- loosey goosey
everythings easier loosey goosey
I agree too.

I rarely play sitting down, so standing up feels completely natural. Just get used to a certain guitar height and stop playing sitting.
I used to have a problem with a difference in my playing between sitting and standing too, as most others probably have as well. What i started doing was experimenting with different guitar strap adjustments. i used to play it pretty low but I kept shortening it until I got it to the exact point where when I sat down, it just barely rested on my leg. That way my position didn't change between sitting and standing and my playing style wasn't altered. Depending on how tall you are, this may or may not bring it up too far (since you've already tried adjusting it shorter). I'm only 5'8" and i still have about 7" to go until it's up in my armpit.

If that doesn't work for you right off the batt, then I suggest small adjustments at a time over a period of 2-3 weeks. Hopefully that will get you used to it.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by jayscrivener
Yeh i will agree
you can get people who sit around on there bed playing all day

but as soon as they get a strap nad want to perform they find it near impossible

try and work through some things standing up
and remeber jack black- loosey goosey
everythings easier loosey goosey

Well I'm about 6' 4" lol. I'm going to try the gradual reduction technique, or when I play sitting down I won't rest it on my lap I will hang it by the strap. One more question, I have a Les Paul, and It's pretty heavy on the shoulder, is there anyway to relieve this?
Quote by IROBOTInferno