Page 1 of 3
What are your views on illegal or pirated software?
I rarely download it because i dont want viruses.

Thoughts, opinions?
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Macs ftw. I have a lot of audio software.
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
Let me just say this, if I could afford the damn things I would buy them.
*shrugs* I don't know...
i get paid to record bands in my home studio now so i cant afford to get caught using pirated software, but when i comes to programs i need for school (ie, light wave) well thats a bit different.........
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
If things were affordable I'd have no problem buying them

Instead I use ThePirateBay private trackers to get stuff

----------------
Disclaimer: This is internets and I am lieing to look cool
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I hate Piracy, cause I mean it's really stealing from people who have put alot of hard work into making it.
Gear :
Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico

Amps :
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Marshall Lead 20
Fender Performer 1000

I haven't bought an album in years, nevermind paying for Cubase SX3. I just recorded a pretty wicked demo on there and all.
Quote by Jaykib

+ 843679459484859
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
I'm not seeing any justifiable reasons from people in this thread.

It's so expensive and I can't afford it
So what? If you can't afford it you should save your money.

But I need it!
No, you don't. Need isn't the same as want.

I need it for school
Get a student version, they're a fraction of the price. Quite often your University can get you these for free.

I'm nothing more than a petty thief who thinks piracy is okay, I'm not stealing a physical object from a shop and so feel the act is justified because I'm a tool
Quite right.
mr p, darn you that's lieing i dont download it because i dont know how and because i dont need it yet, dude not everyone can go out and buy this stuff and even if they are at students prices there still to expensive for some.
a little lost.....
Quite wrong MrP, when I have the money I will purchase the product, therefor it's not theft. More or less an extension of the 30 day trial period (unwillingly of the manufacturer)

It's just the same as downloading the trial every month, only that's rather tedious.

Not that I have any illegal software, just saying...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by Jaykib
Quite wrong MrP, when I have the money I will purchase the product, therefor it's not theft. More or less an extension of the 30 day trial period (unwillingly of the manufacturer)

It's just the same as downloading the trial every month, only that's rather tedious.

Not that I have any illegal software, just saying...

You make a good point, I'd stick around to continue the debate but I have to go steal a new guitar. It's okay though, I'll pay for it some time in the future. Do you think they'll mind?
Quote by MrP
I'm not seeing any justifiable reasons from people in this thread.

It's so expensive and I can't afford it
So what? If you can't afford it you should save your money.

But I need it!
No, you don't. Need isn't the same as want.

I need it for school
Get a student version, they're a fraction of the price. Quite often your University can get you these for free.

I'm nothing more than a petty thief who thinks piracy is okay, I'm not stealing a physical object from a shop and so feel the act is justified because I'm a tool
Quite right.

I agreed with your points except the first one, some software in the design and development industry is extortianately priced. I'm talking in terms of tens of thousands for software. You wanna go buying that stuff?
Quote by jake_1234
What are your views on illegal or pirated software?
I rarely download it because i dont want viruses.

Thoughts, opinions?

you just suck at piracy
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Come to think of it, nearly everything I have on my PC, even the OS is either free or pirated.

I bought Quake 3
Quote by Jaykib

Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by MrP
You make a good point, I'd stick around to continue the debate but I have to go steal a new guitar. It's okay though, I'll pay for it some time in the future. Do you think they'll mind?

Hehehe, too true lad. But you're comparing internal existance to external materials;
I can't damage software if I downloaded it.
It doesn't harm the company anymore considering thousands, maybe millions of others would have an illegal version and NOT be willing to purchase it whereas a select few such as myself still would.

There's no right in it, I know that. Everyone knows that.

My only statement is that if I did have illegal software it wouldn't stop me buying it when I had the money.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by JackalUK
I agreed with your points except the first one, some software in the design and development industry is extortianately priced. I'm talking in terms of tens of thousands for software. You wanna go buying that stuff?

The prices are rather on the steep side but this software is for commercial use, not personal.
Quote by MrP
The prices are rather on the steep side but this software is for commercial use, not personal.

you have to learn how to use it first in some way

you're not profiting from it while you're just mucking about in your bedroom
Quote by Nicky Tuna
I hate Piracy, cause I mean it's really stealing from people who have put alot of hard work into making it.
I'm not advocating piracy or arguing right vs. wrong. However, it really is a stretch to think of copyright infringement as stealing, unless you can say with absolute certainty that the producer would have been compensated otherwise. Even then, the law doesn't equate infringement with theft. In fact, accepting a copy (or in this case downloading a copy) is not even illegal. Copyright protection grants the copyright holder a monopoly on the DISTRIBUTION. In other words, the people distributing the copies are infringing, not the people accepting the copies.

Think of it this way. Let's say that you copy a book written by someone else word for word and call it something else. Then you distribute this copy to 100 people. Clear copyright infringement. Now ask: who has committed a crime: you or the 100 people you distributed it to ? The answer is you. In other words, downloading copyrighted material on the Internet is not a crime. But distributing copyrighted material online without permission from the copyright holder is.

For those who are wondering, the case where the RIAA won $220,000 against a woman (Jammie Thomas) for using Limewire and feel that it contradicts what I'm saying a) they won the case on the theory of "making available" (ie: they convinced the judge that by placing files in her shared folder that she was distributing) and b) a judge overturned the ruling and declared the whole trial a mistrial. Although the media doesn't publicize that ruling like they did the guilty verdict. Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080924-thomas-verdict-overturned-making-available-theory-rejected.html
Quote by Jaykib
Hehehe, too true lad. But you're comparing internal existance to external materials;

[Not directed at you because of what you wrote later, but to address the actual issue] The result is the same be it software or a guitar - the distributers suffer, then the publishers suffer and then the developers suffer. In some cases a download is the equivalent of a lost sale. That being said...

Quote by Jaykib
It doesn't harm the company anymore considering thousands, maybe millions of others would have an illegal version and NOT be willing to purchase it whereas a select few such as myself still would.

I agree with you there, it's one of the key areas of debate in the issue of music piracy that people are downloading music that they wouldn't have necessarily bought so there isn't a loss to anyone. It's a hazy area because there's no real way of verifying this claim, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Quote by seljer
you have to learn how to use it first in some way

you're not profiting from it while you're just mucking about in your bedroom

Books, free trials, schools - the options are there.
Quote by Liam.
If things were affordable I'd have no problem buying them

Instead I use ThePirateBay private trackers to get stuff

----------------
Disclaimer: This is internets and I am lieing to look cool

Piratebay for the win!!
Quote by Jaykib

+1000000
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Guitar Pro and FL Studio are the only pirated pieces of software on my PC.

If I were to use them to make money, then I'd pay for them, but the fact is, I don't. I play with them, piss around, experiment, but 9 times out of 10, it's jsut for fun.

Otherwise, I use freeware. Open Office instead of MS Office, GIMP instead of Photoshop etc...
Quote by MrP
[Not directed at you because of what you wrote later, but to address the actual issue] The result is the same be it software or a guitar - the distributers suffer, then the publishers suffer and then the developers suffer. In some cases a download is the equivalent of a lost sale.

Dude, companies like Adobe KNOW people are going to pirate it, that's why it's so ****ing easy to crack. But as soon as you're gonna make money out of it, you have to buy the real deal (and at 600$ for Photoshop, they're still making a crapload of money).
I download basically everything. I only buy CD's when the opportunity arises. Other than that, every program on my computer has been pirated, except for the one's that are free anyway, like iTunes, Firefox, etc.
Quote by MrP

Quite right.

And I suppose you also think it's stealing if I look at a DVD at my house that I borrowed from a friend?
Quote by Jaykib

Jaykib is right!

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by MrP
Books, free trials, schools - the options are there.

if you can learn the workings of a complex program within the 30 day trial period (which usually don't have full functionality) then you're a better man than me.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by kaihansen
And I suppose you also think it's stealing if I look at a DVD at my house that I borrowed from a friend?

The MPAA and RIAA sure do. Face it. Thanks to them, everything is stealing.

Quote by Nicky Tuna

Really? You mean, kind of like...for example...picking up a guitar and playing someone else's work?

...OMG THIS IS A GUITAR TAB SITE!#%

|
|
V
You're*
If I like the company or it's a small operation run by one or two guys then I definitely try to purchase it. But if it's something I'm not too sure about or if I hate the company then I'll pirate the FUCK out of it.
Anyone who tries to justify piracy as being right is just stupid. And anyone who points out that how they know it is, but still have to do it is just as bad.

End of Story.
Not a huge fan of bees
Last edited by Gelato at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by Gelato
Anyone who tries to justify piracy as being right is just stupid. And anyone who points out that how they know it is, but still have to do it is just as bad.

End of Story.

I don't know anybody who has bought Flash or Photoshop
I wouldn't, if software weren't ridiculously overpriced.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Page 1 of 3