Oh well! If they lose the case then at least Ant can make the money back by advertising things on his oversized forehead.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
man it is not their week. first they almost get killed by the taliban and now they're getting sued
Sig space available, give me some praise
so you can sue for having the same name as somebody?
some people really are over the top.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Well Ant is called Ant too,

That's like me suing anyone else called Mike,

Why do americans sue anybody for anything ?
I have awesome hair
yeh, its like the guy in states who tried to sue the biggest PC corporation in the world for using "slave and master drives" instead of primary and secondary because it insulted his historical heritage!!!
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
Oh well! If they lose the case then at least Ant can make the money back by advertising things on his oversized forehead.

yeah thats one piece of plastic surgery you cant get napper reduction. i didnt realise that was ant..now i can remember..ant forehead.

They should sue the guy ant for being a raving homosexual.
Quote by Zeppfreak170

Not really at all...

Neither of their names are Ant. Most likely short for Anthony. Ant is a stage name.

The correct example would be like if some guy made a movie called Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's already a movie, so they can't use the same name without permission from the person that holds the rights to the name.

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
And they realise this now, 10 years after the height of their fame?

Like the article said, they JUST came to the US recently. So this guy had either no knowledge or just had no claim because he wasn't taking the name in America until that point.
Quote by merfsullivan
Not really at all...

Neither of their names are Ant. Most likely short for Anthony. Ant is a stage name.

The correct example would be like if some guy made a movie called Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's already a movie, so they can't use the same name without permission from the person that holds the rights to the name.

Like the article said, they JUST came to the US recently. So this guy had either no knowledge or just had no claim because he wasn't taking the name in America until that point.

Yes but i'm sure you'll find that you can use the same stage name as someone else
I have awesome hair
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

Quote by Zeppfreak170
Yes but i'm sure you'll find that you can use the same stage name as someone else

No... You can't legally use someone else's intellectual property without permission...
Quote by merfsullivan
No... You can't legally use someone else's intellectual property without permission...

well then it depends whether the american courts include their UK names and associated carrear probably not so they are probably screwed. too bad they were definately guilty in that phone in scandal.
Quote by merfsullivan

Omg! A stage name is not considered intellectual property! It's not like a registered company name or anything like that.

Even if it was, in this case the registered name would be ant and dec so it'd be futile.
I have awesome hair
Quote by Zeppfreak170
Omg! A stage name is not considered intellectual property! It's not like a registered company name or anything like that.

Even if it was, in this case the registered name would be ant and dec so it'd be futile.

Right... You're actually wrong again... If the American Ant went over to the UK then you'd be right. But the American Ant owns the name in America, it IS a registered name, JUST like a registered company. That's how those things work. These guys came over to America trying to use a name that they no doubt established in the UK (The guy is not using the name Ant and Dec, just Ant), but is already owned over here. Therefore it's the same thing.
Quote by merfsullivan
Right... You're actually wrong again... If the American Ant went over to the UK then you'd be right. But the American Ant owns the name in America, it IS a registered name, JUST like a registered company. That's how those things work. These guys came over to America trying to use a name that they no doubt established in the UK (The guy is not using the name Ant and Dec, just Ant), but is already owned over here. Therefore it's the same thing.

Nah! that's crap
I have awesome hair
Quote by Zeppfreak170
Nah! that's crap

That's a very persuasive argument. But once again, you're wrong. I'm afraid that courts no longer adhere to the "I don't want that to be the case " defense.
Quote by Zeppfreak170

Why do americans sue anybody for anything ?

*Sues Zeppfreak for having the name Mike*

Edit:

*Retracts action due to Zeppfreak being born first, and goes in to hiding*
Quote by merfsullivan

Well that's USA for ya. Have fun suing each other for stupid reasons until none of you have a ****ing penny left.
Quote by saphrax
*Sues Zeppfreak for having the name Mike*

Edit:

*Retracts action due to Zeppfreak being born first, and goes in to hiding*

LOL
I have awesome hair
Quote by Freddedonna
Well that's USA for ya. Have fun suing each other for stupid reasons until none of you have a ****ing penny left.

They don't have any as it is thanks to the recession
A mediocre law student's opinion

obviously laws are different in different in different countries, but in Sweden (and the rest of the EU I reckon) it would be a case of if they had registered the brandname, or to what extent the brand "Ant" was known in the culture and if there was any reasonable chance of lay-people confusing the two "Ants" with each other.

If they do radically different things and look completely different then it isn't going to be an issue.

Its pretty hard to sue something for having the same name, but in this case it is a common abbreviation of the name Anthony.

I really don't see this going anywhere, but the US legal system is pretty insane, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Last edited by mrjimborinsane at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by jimmyjimbo72

Man that guy's forehead is bigger than his torso