I'm looking at buying a Strat for chrimbo. There's two type of body wood, Alder and Ash. How does each effect sound/tone.

Also, what about the wood used in the finger board how does Maple and Rosewood effect tone.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Ash will give you a brighter tone, alder has more mellow tone. It makes a BIG difference.
Rosewood is warmer sounding, maple is brigher, but because the fretboard only makes up a small portion of a guitars woods, it is a very very subtle difference. The difference in feel is a more important factor here because maple feels a lot smoother than rosewood.
I heard that rosewood has a darker tone than most other fingerboards but that's just what i've heard and i'm probably half deaf from too much metal. So i just reiterated what he said and made no real difference. I shouldn't have posted. So....Yeah.... I'll go....Now.
ARCHITECTS

UNDEROATH

Aaron Gillespie
Dallas Green

to me, the fretboard wood is quite noticeable, not so much in the tone, but in the attack of the note, maple has more attack and sounds a bit snappier, rosewood is a bit mellower... it's subtle, but it's there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?