Right, in the next few months I shall be getting a Vox AC30, as you may have guessed this is because I'm a rather large Rory Gallagher fan (as well as an all round blues fan), and I love his tone which he got with the AC30 (in Taste and early Rory Gallagher).
To get this tone he played his strat through a Rangemaster treble booster and into his AC30, now I'm not sure which treble booster I should be looking at, I've snooped around and the most obvious to look at are:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bsm_signature_treble_booster_rg.htm
The Rory Gallagher "tribute" one by BSM

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/bsm_treble_booster_rm.htm
BSM Rangemaster copy

Now I'm not sure whether these are the best I can get, treble booster-wise as I'm not too clued up on Treble Boosters.

If there is any input on these pedals or on any alternatives it'd be greatly appreciated.
yeah i got me some old germanium transistors and was going to make one but decided against it.

An eq pedal in an effects loop will let you boost the treble to anything you could possible want.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

An eq pedal in an effects loop will let you boost the treble to anything you could possible want.

this.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
But an EQ in the effects loop, when selectively engaged, will function well for that purpose, if dialed in right.

Don't judge me.
That would be correct. But I have used a treble booster.
If a Rangemaster is so different from a normal treble booster, then just get it.
EDIT: Ok, so an EQ won't add sustain. Forgot about that.

Don't judge me.
BBE Freq Boost. I was unimpressed, but I've heard most people don't like it.

Don't judge me.
That's supposed to be like a RM, but I doubt it is. Probably doesn't have germanium transistors, which is key to the RM sound.

And again, without a selectable input cap, different guitars sound very different on it. I use a different input cap on mine when I use Strat VS my SG. I'm glad I put a variable input cap switch.
The BBE was just too harsh. Didn't sound nice and vintage at all. Which led me to believe that an EQ would work better. I should try an RM.

Don't judge me.
I run an HBE Germania 44 into my AC30 and I am very pleased with it. It does have a switch for alternating between the the standard vintage sound and a fatter boost but I pretty much only use the thin vintage one. One thing to keep in mind, or at least with a setup like mine, is that you pretty much have to have the tone cut on your amp completely engaged to avoid an icepick sound. Which is fine if it is the kind of pedal that you just leave on all the time but if you want to be able to have your standard sound and kick in the treble boost for solos it might get nasty sounding.

and an EQ won't sound the same
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
well the rangemaster is more of a treble boosted overdrive if im not mistaken. But if your already happy with your gain, or need more gain, an eq pedal in the effects loop can take care of that. meh im happy with mine
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
in any case look at the HomeBrew Electronics Germania it runs for about 100 bucks and if you want a oc44 in it, it runs a little higher
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Right, sorry about the tardyness, Forsaknazrael, do you know of a treble booster which has a selectable input capacitor control if that would be an improvement over the RM?

I'll take a look into all suggestion made thanks, but what I wouldn't want is an EQ pedal to boost the treble, I'm looking more into the sounds that the RM gets.
^The HBE might be something to look into, don't know about the availability in the UK. Haven't really seen many pedals like the one I built (negative ground operation so it works with normal adapters, germanium diode installed to compensate for temperature changes affecting the transistor's gains, 6 selectable input caps...), much less, one in the UK. I don't know of many UK boutique companies, unfortunately.

Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
well the rangemaster is more of a treble boosted overdrive if im not mistaken. But if your already happy with your gain, or need more gain, an eq pedal in the effects loop can take care of that. meh im happy with mine

Not really, there's no clipping diodes in the rangemaster at all. It's just a boost. The way it saturates the signal is different than a EQ, though.
I know because I run an EQ through my FX Loop. Nothing like my RM.
I've found the HBE for around £90-100 (with the oc44) and around £86 just regular.

I'll try to find one to try out, same with my first ideas, though it may be a struggle, so far would the HBE be my best bet then?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Not really, there's no clipping diodes in the rangemaster at all. It's just a boost. The way it saturates the signal is different than a EQ, though.
I know because I run an EQ through my FX Loop. Nothing like my RM.

i know a bit about electronics but from your posts id say you definately understand it better then me im not trying to start an arguement. More just to clarify...

My fuzz pedal has no clipping diodes at all, but it uses the transistors (which have the hfe gain rating correct)

and the RM uses 3 transistors right? maybe not for gain, maybe so. But you dont need diodes to distort a signal?
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
weeell your best bet would be something like a keeley java boost, but waaay too expensive...HBE is the best bang for your buck kinda shit
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by forsaknazrael
I've used my RM just on top of my normal tone. Sounded fine. I use "fatter" setting on it, though.

Ah, yeah I don't have the icepick problem in the full setting but I like the way it sounds in the traditional setting more. Do you use it with an AC30?

I'll try to get some clips of my HBE btw, although most rangemaster clones are gonna sound really really similar
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Try Analogman's "Beano Boost".

it's cheaper than those two and they also have a mid boost function built in.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^That would be a good Rangemaster clone, too. Just all depends on availability in the UK.

Quote by yeahyeah
Ah, yeah I don't have the icepick problem in the full setting but I like the way it sounds in the traditional setting more. Do you use it with an AC30?

I'll try to get some clips of my HBE btw, although most rangemaster clones are gonna sound really really similar

Nah, I use it on my Traynor YCV40.
I use it for fat solo boosts, so the fatter setting just makes sense.

Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
i know a bit about electronics but from your posts id say you definately understand it better then me im not trying to start an arguement. More just to clarify...

My fuzz pedal has no clipping diodes at all, but it uses the transistors (which have the hfe gain rating correct)

and the RM uses 3 transistors right? maybe not for gain, maybe so. But you dont need diodes to distort a signal?

Rangemasters use one germanium transistor.
And I used diodes as an example because that's what overdrives usually use for their distortion.
A Fuzz face is a fuzz pedal - fuzz and distortions pedals are different than a boost, and different than an overdrive. BTW, just because something uses transistors doesn't mean it's going to distort...I mean, practically every pedal uses transistors or opamps.