Ok first off I know a full tube amp is better than a solid state (or hybrid) but hear me out. Ive owned a number of Randall solid states in the past (Warhead, RG100ES, RH200SC, and a WH40 practice amp) and none of them ever let me down. The tone was heavy, tight, and I liked it. But one day I decided to go tube as I loved the tone of bands like Machine Head and Killswitch Engage, so I scored a Peavey Triple XXX 40 watt combo off ebay. Ive had this amp for around 5 months now, and ive eventually decided its time for a change. Overall the amp isnt bad, it has a thick chunky tone, and it heavy as hell, but there are little things about it that turn me off. First of all the midrange is strange, I dunno how else to describe it but I usually dial it out completely and add mids with my EQ pedal. Then we have the treble and bass, well the treble has a horrid bite to it if I turn it up too much, and if I have it low enough my sound is too muddy, and the bass is way to loose and flabby. I really liked the tightness of the solid state Randall's, the Peavey is way to loose sounding for my tastes.

So this is why ive decided to go amp hunting again, and im wanting to go back to Randall as ive had good experience with them in the past. The only new Randall ive played is the RH50T all tube head, not played any of their new solid states, and my local guitar store has shut down so im unable to try and of them out. Basically should I sell my Peavey and get a G3+ combo? Ive listened to a few audio clips (a guy recorded one especially for me so I could hear the clean and dirty channels properly) and to me it sounded good, tube like distortion but still pretty tight. However it was recorded with a cam so it'd be great to get some feedback from people here who own this amp or have played through one. Question that need answering:

1. Is it a tight sounding amp?

2. Does the 200 have enough power to gig with?

3. Does it have enough gain for Pantera/Machine head/In Flames type stuff out of the box? I have a boost pedal and noise gate if it doesnt.

4. Is the overall tone decent? I dont want to buy an amp that doesnt sound good, im a tone freak and always like to play though a nice sounding amp, is the G3+ a good sounding amp?

Thanks for any help/feedback, really appreciate it.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
G3 series is great. I played one of the heads, although I'm not sure if it was the 200 or not, and it slayed. Deffinatly a good amp, and should have more than enough gain then you'll need.

Unsure about your other questions. Sorry.
well...

get a BETTER tube amp.

XXXs aren't the be all end all rolls royces of tube amplification. Sounds like you'd probably be better off with a mesa for the amount of low end your talking about, maybe an ENGL or a KranK.
^A Mesa might not be what he wants since he's after something tight.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
^A Mesa might not be what he wants since he's after something tight.

Yeah, a Mesa wouldn't be a good choice for someone looking for a "tight" amp.
Engls are pretty tight. I wouldn't trade the Triple X for that though. Keep the Triple X and save up and buy another amp, unless you just flat out don't like the tone of it.
i have a xxx head...and almost sold it 3 weeks after i got it...but i took the advice of someone about a speaker change....it completley changed the amp ,....i never dreamed the change would be so drastic..and so much for the better!!

v-30 & high gain peaveys = total bliss!!

i am not sure of what the back of your amp has..(do u have an extension speaker output??...a "tight;mid:loose" switch??.... but if you could try out some v-30's at your local music store (maybe a cab)

what are u using for settings?

active tone controls can be a bitch!!...(the reason they call treble "hair" is because if ya move it a hair..it completely alters ur sound!
Quote by jessexxx
i have a xxx head...and almost sold it 3 weeks after i got it...but i took the advice of someone about a speaker change....it completley changed the amp ,....i never dreamed the change would be so drastic..and so much for the better!!

v-30 & high gain peaveys = total bliss!!

i am not sure of what the back of your amp has..(do u have an extension speaker output??...a "tight;mid:loose" switch??.... but if you could try out some v-30's at your local music store (maybe a cab)

what are u using for settings?

active tone controls can be a bitch!!...(the reason they call treble "hair" is because if ya move it a hair..it completely alters ur sound!

I already did the V30 speaker change a while back because the stock sheffield was horrid! The V30 did make a big improvment to the sound. I have the switch on the back set at 'tight', I use a 10 band EQ in effects loop, amp knob settings: bass 10 o' clock, mids 9 o' clock, treb 10 o' clock, mxr settings have bass slightly boosted, 1 mid range slider cut half way, others boosted slightly, and treble boosted.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Ususally you can bring the mid range out with a good OD. I say keep the Triple a little longer and test out a few things before you decide. Working with the Active EQ can be a pain but its great once you learn how the amp works...
Quote by serbusfish
I already did the V30 speaker change a while back because the stock sheffield was horrid! The V30 did make a big improvment to the sound. I have the switch on the back set at 'tight', I use a 10 band EQ in effects loop, amp knob settings: bass 10 o' clock, mids 9 o' clock, treb 10 o' clock, mxr settings have bass slightly boosted, 1 mid range slider cut half way, others boosted slightly, and treble boosted.

Did the v30 replacement fix the problem of the thin highs?
Not trying to be a smart ass, but do you know how to eq an amp with an active Eq? Your better off starting at 12:00 for a rough starting point, if you get things out of wack they can sound terible. Also tubes really change the amp vocing, with 6l6 my Triple was a good sounding amp but when I switched to EL 34 it became exactly what I was looking for, although good quailty 6l6s might make a drastic difference as well since I was running stockers. EL34s really brought the midrange out, I getting a very close JCM 800 tone out of the crunch channel, sounds way more Marshall than the new JCM 2000s. Also have you messed with the switch on the back? Try it in the tight posistion to tighten up the lowend, if the 40 watter has the feature, it might not. I like the loose setting its has a real rectifier gain stucture feel to it like this on the Ultra channel. Also as far another amp, if you don't like your triple then a rectifier probably won't suite you at all, they are very loose sounding amps. Really the only Boogie thats farly tight and high gain is the Mark IV, the F series is a little tighter sounding that might work for you as well. Switching to the G3 would be a down grade in IMO, but if you really like that tone it might be a good option for you, personally I think you can do better, or setup the Triple to suite you better.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
do as mentioned and try an OD pedal before you COMPLETELY commit to getting another amp.

if you're amp is only lacking in a small amount and can be improved, then improve it. otherwise, you'll have to start fresh w/ a new amp, get used to the way it works, and probably end up missing it in the long run. not to mention the obvious benefits of tube amps:

-hold good value over time
-easier to repair if something goes wrong
-warmer sound

if i were you i'd wait till i knew FOR SURE that i couldn't get the exact sound i wanted out of it before i went and made a decision that i might regret hope it all works out bud!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
the active EQ might be whats throwing you off. try fiddling with it more and experiment WITHOUT your EQ pedal first.. if you're having a problem with shrill highs.. it might be the V30 speaker if its still more or less new.. it should mellow out as you break it in.

also a tubescreamer in the front can probably help you in tightening things up.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Of course theres always people who prefer the sound of solid state amp to tubes and maybe you do.
But just about everyone on UG thinks that's impossible

I say stick with what you like best, sit down and try to EQ the XXX a little more and if it still doesn't work, i heard the new G3 Randalls were excellent.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I have a G3 200 Watt, Gigged and a great amp. have it running through a pathetic Line6 Cab, but it sounds really good and is giggable. Very tight and heavy amp. I'd have to say the best solid state metal amp. They don't disappoint. You can notice the tube pre-amp as compared to a line 6 for example, much warmer tone. Im sure you'll like one.