So I've recently accepted an offer to play for a band who wants to play Like A Stone by Audioslave and I've accepted the offer.The problem is,they really wanna play for this high school gig that they've planned to play Thanks For The Memories by Fall Out Boy for the audition. Should I just go on and learn this song?I'm feeling so pissed that they've decided on this without telling me.Everytime I play that song,I cringe,my ears feel like literally bleeding and I feel like puking.I am not joking.I understand as musicians,we should be open minded,but for some reason,I'm not liking Fall Out Boy at all.I don't mind playing Blink 182 but somehow,Fall Out Boy makes me feel like I'm having a hangover.

Reason why they wanna play Fall Out Boy is because the judges for the audition are high school kids,and according to the band,these kids would only pass the bands they know and poppish songs.Bah,I'm really confused whether should I just go on and play that song or should I just pull out.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Don't sell out bro. You agreed to play Like a Stone, not Thanks For The Memories.

BTW, have you talked to them about it?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Don't play crap like that. FOB sucks and so does the band you play in if they only wanna please the judges instead of playing what they really want
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

As much as i understand how much you hate that song i think you should go ahead an play it. Seriously... it might be the only time you play it and it's only for auditions, which doesn't mean that that's what you'll be playing in front of the crowd.

You might wanna talk to your bandmates about making decisions without you though as i see that's about the main problem in this situation.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
make them tune their instruments to like B and then play it ^^

it might sound heavier
^With death vocals

And a random shred solo w/o using scales or modes.

You're gonna look like a total badass.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
hells yeah( those last two posts!)

But god, FOB?! what kinda emofags are you with! play real music, and don't let them make decisions without you. If they do, kick some ass and get outa that band!
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by racman92
hells yeah( those last two posts!)

But god, FOB?! what kinda emofags are you with! play real music, and don't let them make decisions without you. If they do, kick some ass and get outa that band!

fallout boy is real music. get over yourself.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Maybe they decided to play that song before you joined. Surely this whole thing didn't take them by surprise all of a sudden, no? Maybe they're just telling you now because you've just joined and it has just now become relevant?

Aside from that, there are two ways of looking at this.

These guys are smart. They have identified their audience and have chosen what to play to ensure success. People who think like that often become successful band leaders and continue to make decisions that will further the success of the band with all sorts of other things down the road. It's one thing to work hard. It's another thing to work smart AND hard. Thank whatever higher power you believe in and roll with it, because this band has potential. They know what it takes to be successful and they're willing to do it. This is a rare find.

or

You see yourself as an artist and refuse to sell out. If these guys are willing to play Fall Out Boy now, what will come next? Will you continue on a great big 'sell-out' journey that will only make you more and more miserable the further you get into it? Success be damned. I don't care about whether people like us. I'd rather play to five people in my basement who dig what I'm doing and sell one CD than a whole auditorium of screaming kids that might buy 50 CDs.

For me, personally, I'd go with option 'a.' If you can get over it, it really is a lot more fun, a lot more rewarding, and expanding your musical palate can only make you a better musician in the long run. Ultimately, if you want a career in music, you have to think 'a.' If you try to mesh 'b' with something that resembles an income, you're almost guaranteed to lose.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i think you need to get over yourself mate.

Feeling the urge to be sick? Feel like you have a hangover?

If you dont wanna play it, then just pass on the offer. dont be a whiny bitch about it.
dude, dont be a sellout. Playing to please the judges?? FCUK THAT!!
Didnt you ever see School of Rock? Geez..
So I've talked to them last Sunday,and we've decided to play Like A Stone for the audition and the finals.But I got conned ! One of them called me yesterday and asked me to learn Kiss Me by New Found Glory and said they might play that for the real thing.Seriously,it's starting to get really annoying because they crapped me twice. I've been giving them chance by playing Like A Stone,but conning me twice when I'm trying to help them?It seriously pisses me off.I told them to prepare a different guitarist if they wanna play a song like that.It's really annoying if you ask a metalhead to play such a gay song.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
i think you need to get over yourself mate.

Feeling the urge to be sick? Feel like you have a hangover?

If you dont wanna play it, then just pass on the offer. dont be a whiny bitch about it.

What this guy said. There's no way that simply playing a certain song could make you physically ill. That's got to be the biggest, most nonsensical exaggeration I've ever heard.