ive been hit a platue for a while now and i dont feel like im getting any better
please post some routines so i can get some ideas of wut to do and how to order them in my practice

right now ive had very little time to pracice
its usualy goes like

6 minute tremelo
vai spider lick
paul gilbert 3 note per string licks
a long sweep pattern that i made up
a 2 finger tapping pattern ive made up

any suggestions
Last edited by cemetarygates31 at Sep 30, 2008,
Play riffs for a bit, play practise-y stuff. It's not normally that organised.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Warm Up

then 10 Mins Each:

Scales/Chords
Rhythm
Lead
Techniques
Transcribing
Writing

Gets a good balance, lasts an hour in total so its not tht consuming

for rhythm and lead best to order a few music books
add some ear training into your routine and work more on scales then arpeggios, make sure you know everything (either by note or solfege) that you play (even if you aren't reading music/don't know how). Start figuring out how notes and arpeggios relate to each other, and the underlying harmony (chord). If you focus a bit less on technique and a bit more on sound and theory your playing will not get faster, but it will sound 'better.'
I hate routines, just play whatever you want to play, there's no point playing guitar if all your going to do is exercises.
Quote by lewis_grey
I hate routines, just play whatever you want to play, there's no point playing guitar if all your going to do is exercises.
+1

I rarely do exercises. I just play songs I like (first easier to warm up and then harder).
Quote by lewis_grey

I want to play the master of puppets solo and stuff by children of bodom and yngwie malmsteen...

...if i dont practice techniques and lead etc. then I will never be that good

and of course you learn songs as well but it is good to have a practice grounded as well
Quote by rorywal
I want to play the master of puppets solo and stuff by children of bodom and yngwie malmsteen...

...if i dont practice techniques and lead etc. then I will never be that good

and of course you learn songs as well but it is good to have a practice grounded as well

Go n learn them then, I learned almost everything I know about scales and lead licks from learning solos and its much more fun than playing mind numbing exercises. Even though you won't be able to do them straight away just persevere and you'll get there. Once you get the hang of it learning solos will be a doddle
do u guys have any ideas to pass this speed platue that im on
its weird
i can do like 3 note per string stuff at like 175 bpm 16 notes while making an occational mistake
but wen i turn on the metronome i can only get to like 132 bpm 16 notes
i also have a weaker up pick which ive been working on and hasnt rely made a difference in my speed
Quote by lewis_grey
Go n learn them then, I learned almost everything I know about scales and lead licks from learning solos and its much more fun than playing mind numbing exercises. Even though you won't be able to do them straight away just persevere and you'll get there. Once you get the hang of it learning solos will be a doddle

my point is u still need some form of practice to learn them

even if you break down the solo and learn it slower you are still practicing
30 mins stretching and warming up
* metronome on *
30 mins practising the same lick during all the week (i change the lick every week)
30 mins sweep picking
30 mins string skipping licks/tapping/legato (rotating every few days)

the extra time I use it in different stuff, jamming with songs, writing my own, learning tabs, practising more licks, etc
pick up guitar
play guitar
put guitar back down when done playing

repeat as necessary until sleep
Quote by lewis_grey

Most of the best skilled guitarists use routines. Routines are focused on the things you need to improve
Practice routines work best for this purpose: to make sure you don't spend TOO
MUCH TIME ON ONE THING.

If you're looking for a routine to make you practice certain things, don't bother.
It's highly unlikely you'll stick with it for any length of time. Even if you do manage,
if you feel like its a chore and miserable, you're likely not getting the right practice
in anyway. You'd probably be better off spending the time trying to figure out
why you chose to make somehing boring and miserable that will probably help
your playing.