I have a Strat. When I play blues, I always use the neck pickup. When I play metal I mostly use the bridge pickup and sometimes the middle pickup. This got me wondering, why not throw a more "metal" pickup into the bridge slot? Has anyone done this? And if so, what pickups did you use?
Do it sure, I used to use my Ibanez' Bridge for metal, neck for more "Shred lead" sorta stuff and the middle for blues.

Now with my strat I still play heavy stuff, though primarily blues, it's all about the amp.
do you want more out put? and do you have a H/s/s config or s/s/s config
and what amp do you have
Fender have the highway one strat which has a HSS setup.

you might want to get a nice high output humbucker and get a new pickguard. that'd give the best results.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Pop your pickguard off, your guitar may be routed for a humbucker - that would mean you only need a pickguard - or you can cut yours - I would say get a new one so if you decide to go back you can.
Thank you for the input everyone

Quote by Ghold125
do you want more out put? and do you have a H/s/s config or s/s/s config
and what amp do you have

I live in NYC where it's not very practical to have an amp because of lack of space and a lot of neighbors so I play through Guitar Rig and headphones.

Also, it's SSS
A popular way of going about it is installing a single sized humbucker in your strat's bridge position. I'm currently doing the same. Therefore, I ordered a Duncan "cool rails" yesterday that'll give me more output than the stock single coil.
It's a cheap and effective way to get a metal sound and you don't need to cut out wood from your guitar's body.
Duncan and Dimarzio have plenty of single sized humbuckers in their lineup, I recommend you have a look at them.
So I've found:
DiMarzio HS3
Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
DiMarzio Fast Track 1
DiMarzio Fast Track 2 (what's the difference?)

People seemed confused about the HS3's - some say they are amazing, some say they are muddy crap. I kinda like the look of the "double blade" pickups. I could add some 80's flair to my plain strat ;P
HS3's are great pickups and they sound fantastic with alot of gain in front of them. There low output which works really well in keeping the tone nice and clear when piling on the gain.
man i say just get a full size pup since 8/10 times all MIM and MIA strats are routed fot HSS OR HSH configurations so just but like an invader in the bridge and get a new HSS pick guard at like warmoth or GC even
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Man...Start doing google searches for photos of your favorite metal players...Watch the classic metal on VH1. You will be surprised how many metal and grunge riffs were recorded with
Fat/HSS strats...

The light body...bright tone and whammy bar can be a great combo. There are even some metal players that play Telecasters with High Gain pups.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
i used stacked SCN fender single coils, and i run them throu a TS9 and Mesa/boogie, they play metal well, next guitar ill throw in HS3's maybe even YJMs to emulate the same sound, but i get nice crunch and blues out of my SCN's with a TS9 on the clean channel.
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Quote by 5RV
So I've found:
DiMarzio HS3
Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
DiMarzio Fast Track 1
DiMarzio Fast Track 2 (what's the difference?)

People seemed confused about the HS3's - some say they are amazing, some say they are muddy crap. I kinda like the look of the "double blade" pickups. I could add some 80's flair to my plain strat ;P

personally i like stacked dimarzios better than railed duncans.
they sound more full and balanced to my ears. HRs sound high treble.
they all are like Really hot singles. not exactly like full sized humbuckers.

B= hotrails.
M= virtual vintage heavy blues (my fav)
N= YjM
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You could just get a set of these and do anything you could conceivably want to.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 30, 2008,
I use Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and they work very nicely for metal. I've heard good things about DiMarzio stacked singles, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Yeah those hotrails are pretty nice

You can still get away with using one in the bridge without offsetting the volume difference to much like a full sized humbucker does. You'd end up having pretty far away from the strings to keep it even with a single coil neck pup.
Quote by sandman-105
man i say just get a full size pup since 8/10 times all MIM and MIA strats are routed fot HSS OR HSH configurations

I checked this morning and it is indeed routed for a full sized humbucker - now I have even more options to confuse me!