ok so i my teacher is going to record everyone in my class in about 5 weeks.
i have chosen glasgow kiss by John Petrucci
i think i am intermediate am 14 year old.
i have learnt the first bit (intro) and i need tips on getting my speed up to the 203 mark from 130...
yeh so
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
sorry, it's not possible to do that in 5 weeks. try a year instead.
choose a easier song man. i don't think even i can play it (2 years experience)
You're an intermediate and you want to play Glasgow Kiss? In 5 weeks?
Sorry, but forget about it. You MIGHT learn everything but the fast solo in 5 weeks, and it almost certainly won't be up to tempo. I doubt most advanced players could pick it up in 5 weeks unless they practiced obsessively and efficiently, and even then...
Pick an easier song.
noooo nooooo i mean the intro and the easy parts ... im not going to attempt the solo
and i have been playing two solid years
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Last edited by Sad But False at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by Sad But False
noooo nooooo i mean the intro and the easy parts ... im not going to attempt the solo

Ah, ok. That's feasible. You had me worried for a bit there...
Use a metronome, and slow it down way past what you think you need to. Slower tempos build control, so your playing will be more accurate once you speed it up. Take your time, don't up the tempo until your playing is perfectly accurate and smooth. Accuracy improves speed, so starting off slow will vastly improve your ability to play fast. Good luck!
thanks should i sweep or alternative pick intro?

and yeh im slowing it down to 140 beats using tux guitar
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Sad But False

Slower. MUUUUUUCH slower. Think 70 or lower. The goal is accuracy, and you'll get the most benefit at very slow tempos. There are guys here who slow it down to 25 and such. You should have time to obsere the minute details of your playing as you're playing.
The intro is alternate picked.
Hi.
I'm learning it with my master, some parts at time.
In 2 weeks i managed to nail perfectly clean and up to tempo the first 2:25 minutes. I'm practicing on it about 1/ 1 and a half hour a day.
It's a difficult song, but it can be got if you work on it without haste . I'ts in 12/8 and played in fourths @ 207 bpm, so you can divide the practicing with a metronome into three steps : 150, 175 and 207 bpm.
It's working very good with me, I'm improving fast, after 2 weeks I'm at minute 2:20, speedly going on.
I'm intermediate, i play guitar from about 1 year, I can also play Razor's Edge solo, Scarred solo, Overture, As I AM (except the solo) and stuff like that.
Keep on workin
Quote by Sad But False
ok so i my teacher is going to record everyone in my class in about 5 weeks.
i have chosen glasgow kiss by John Petrucci
i think i am intermediate am 14 year old.
i have learnt the first bit (intro) and i need tips on getting my speed up to the 203 mark from 130...
yeh so

TIP:

Play something more appropriate for your skill level. Your teacher will be more impressed by you playing something well, then by you attempting to play something that your not ready for.
shred is gaudy music
^^^ though petrucci economy picks.

it's a matter of choice. you can sweep it, which is easier if you practice it enough, or you can alternate pick it, and use useless outside picking.
Is it getting graded? Because for my GCSE coursework, I have to record one solo piece and one ensemble piece. For solo, my teacher told me that anything grade 3 or above can get full marks if played well. I took home a grade 4 rock school book, and it is incredibly easy. It's like something a beginner would find hard, but an intermediate player easy. Shall be an easy solo recording for me.

So yeah if you're getting graded go for an easy grade 3 or above piece.
what grade is it?
and which bits should i skip (obviously the solo,)
thanks for the help and yes it is getting graded...
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
dude, take this from a teacher...dont wast your time...its NOT gonna impress...its just an unnecesary amount of work.....that you dont need to do....glasgow kiss would get you onto the degree course here at the guitar institute.

if you want to play a petrucci song i HIGHLY recommend damage control, its not too challenging plus the riff changes time signature, if you can master that (nothing you need to count, just feel it) i assure you you will get full marks

i know how it is, you wana be the best an show everyone how good you are..an i know itsa cliche...but a well played easy piece is gona score better than a hard piece, you are being marked on acuracy after all...hows it gona feel when you get a lower mark than the guy who played californication?

theres no reason you shouldnt learn glasgow kiss, but not for a GCSE performance, work on it to develop YOUR skills

hope that helps

but seriously...damage control
Quote by jackblsdaniels
dude, take this from a teacher...dont wast your time...its NOT gonna impress...its just an unnecesary amount of work.....that you dont need to do....glasgow kiss would get you onto the degree course here at the guitar institute.

if you want to play a petrucci song i HIGHLY recommend damage control, its not too challenging plus the riff changes time signature, if you can master that (nothing you need to count, just feel it) i assure you you will get full marks

i know how it is, you wana be the best an show everyone how good you are..an i know itsa cliche...but a well played easy piece is gona score better than a hard piece, you are being marked on acuracy after all...hows it gona feel when you get a lower mark than the guy who played californication?

theres no reason you shouldnt learn glasgow kiss, but not for a GCSE performance, work on it to develop YOUR skills

hope that helps

but seriously...damage control

i know you make complete sense but im kind of commited to learning it now and it has already improved my alt picking HUGELY. + if it really is to hard i will do little wing.
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by Sad But False
what grade is it?
and which bits should i skip (obviously the solo,)
thanks for the help and yes it is getting graded...

It's better to learn one WHOLE song up to your level, than bits of something that's too hard for you.

Try learning something that's one step harder than hardest song you know. Perfectly. 5 weeks is enough time.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
can i have recommendations please
i would say im intermediate and can play things like master of puppets (cliche) and some avenged sevenfold things?
kinda desperate here
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
learn rondo alla turca. moderately easy, well known, pretty simple. go for it.
You're 14, right? What year is that...9? (I'm 14 and I'm in year 9).
Some advice...
I learnt Glasgow Kiss. BUT without bass, drums, and other guitar parts (unless you ARE John Petrucci ofc) it sounds terribly empty. I'm not saying it's a bad song or whatever (although it's dreadfully show-offy) but the verses at least are quite melodic and sound terrible without other instruments backing it up.
Also, unless your teacher's an idiot, he/she'll prefer that you play something melodic than something technical. Sure, technique is awesome and all, but in year 9 music it's not really a big deal. Tightness and melody are a lot more important.
Learn "Mist" by the John Butler Trio. Sounds hard, but isn't.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
thinking about it...if ur gona learn it to improve youer alternate picking...y not go the whole hog a learn to alternate pick the glass prison arpeggios...thatll impress them...thatll impres anyone
Quote by jackblsdaniels
thinking about it...if ur gona learn it to improve youer alternate picking...y not go the whole hog a learn to alternate pick the glass prison arpeggios...thatll impress them...thatll impres anyone

No joke, it's the only part of any DT song Petrucci has trouble with.
Great song.

I tackled it in my third year of playing after I finished group lessons.

The hardest parts you should work on the most like the bridge's shuffle feel and the quick chord changes after the second verse followed by a upstroke arpeggio of E maj in the 19 position.

I had a lot of trouble with the slide form Gmaj in 3rd pos. to amaj in 12th and likewise an octave up. Get those bends in the verse perfect, it sounds like crap if you don't do them right. The part after the second verse has string skipping and quick chord changes, which will really test your skills. The solo can be improvised in Emaj (pentatonic if you want)
I use E mixolydian over the solo... really give it that almost lydian feel that I love so much.

Just play along with the recording, work on those hard parts and practice whenever you can. But most of all, enjoy yourself.

Good luck.

btw, damage control is a lot harder than Glasgow kiss
hue
John Petrucci guitar parts will definately kick your ass. Try something easier like
Lines in the Sand or Forsaken. The guitar parts in Forsaken are cool sounding and some of the Arps are hard but not as difficult as Glasgow Kiss........

....I think.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I don't really think any Petrucci or DT song is the go. In DT, the songs are also keyboard and bass heavy (particularly keyboard though) and no guitar part is really solid enough to be played on its own.
As mentioned before, Petrucci's songs all have 3 or 4 guitar parts - I really don't think they can hold up on their own.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by Sad But False

alternate pick the intro, this gives it rhythmic definition.
I economy pick the 9/8 section though, its your choice
You can learn "Bite of the mosquito", the Petrucci version of "Flight Of The Bumble Bee".
Is a big guitar solo and you don't have to play it at Petrucci lightning speed to sound good.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
great song, this song alone has greatly improved my alternate picking technique. btw i economy pick the intro riffs
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.