preferably something boss. i need something that will have a punk or classic rock sound and maybe a bit of standard tuning metal. im using a hss strat thru a marshall vs265. something that can do a real heavy distortion.

i have
a mt2 metalzone (probably selling)
dunlop mx distortion plus(not enough distortion to me)
and a hm2 that was given to me for free
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
personally i always thought if you got a tube, an overdrive pedal is the way to go. typically sounds better on tube amps.

But if you want a distortion pedal you got a lot of options really. Personally i love my metal muff, although since making my tubescreamer, and my eq pedal i found i dont need it. But pretty versatile.

Or if your on a buddget a ds-1 actually sounds pretty decent too. But i think someone just made an overdrive/distortion thread with a list of everything and what not
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Boss DS-1 is pretty awesome.
And so is the Digitech Hot Head
You can get pretty equal sounds out of both, they both sound pretty good.
I think the DS-2 would suit you quite well, have you tried the demos on Boss US? they're very useful.
DS-1 is a pretty good way to go if you're going for Boss.
It can be pretty heavy, but isn't like thrash metal distortion.
You could go anywhere from blues to really hard rock, maybe even some stuff like metallica with it.
I really like the DigiTech Grunge.

If you really want a Boss though, go with the DS-1
A lot of people will just hop on the "boss distortions suck" bandwagon here, but they are good if you use them with a good amp. The fact that they sound pretty sterile actually allows them to be used without adding too much of their own character to your tone - if run into a slightly overdriven tube amp, they can sound excellent. I'd recommend a DS-1 or DS-2 if you're planning to use it like that.

edit: i just noticed you'll be using a marshall valvestate (i assumed you'd be using a valveking because i read it in your sig) - that kinda changes my opinion - pedals won't really improve the amp - it might be worth a try, i'd recommend you taking the amp to a shop and trying some things out with it - but i think most of the overdrive on the valvestates are actually diode clipping, in which case, you'll either get a sterile tone from the clean channel with a boss distortion, or you'll get a really messy, horrible tone if you use it with the overdrive channel...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 30, 2008,
Keeley modded Metal Zone
Zvex box of metal
Pro tone body rot

Those are three of the best that I've encountered.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
personally i always thought if you got a tube, an overdrive pedal is the way to go. typically sounds better on tube amps.

Tell that to the Satch - he uses distortion pedals
Quote by Blompcube
A lot of people will just hop on the "boss distortions suck" bandwagon here, but they are good if you use them with a good amp. The fact that they sound pretty sterile actually allows them to be used without adding too much of their own character to your tone - if run into a slightly overdriven tube amp, they can sound excellent. I'd recommend a DS-1 or DS-2 if you're planning to use it like that.

edit: i just noticed you'll be using a marshall valvestate (i assumed you'd be using a valveking because i read it in your sig) - that kinda changes my opinion - pedals won't really improve the amp - it might be worth a try, i'd recommend you taking the amp to a shop and trying some things out with it - but i think most of the overdrive on the valvestates are actually diode clipping, in which case, you'll either get a sterile tone from the clean channel with a boss distortion, or you'll get a really messy, horrible tone if you use it with the overdrive channel...

+1

I think Boss pedals are pretty sucky as a stand-alone solution, but a lot of them work well in conjunction with amp distortion.

The Metal Zone is a lost cause though...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com