so just a few minutes ago i decided to open up my tele to see if it was routed for a humbucker. all i really did was to unscrew and remove the pickguard to get a look at how it looks like underneath..
no problem

this is btw the first time i ever did this.
and then i put it back on, and when i did just for the record, the screws all went in nicely except like two, they went in nicely aswell they just were a teeeny bit tilted at first. anyways
i plugged it in, and now i get a bright squeel from my neck pup whenever i distort the sound, the squeel usually comes when i just finish playing, and the distortion wears off.

im not sure, im very sure i didnt muck around with the pickups, i did touch it but didnt unsrew it or move it around or mess with the cables or anything, basically i just touched it.

is it just me? im pretty sure i havent heard this sound come from my guitar before, so i got a bit worried. as i said i didnt do much except remove the pickguard and put it back.

help! =(

ps i wasnt sure where to post this =/
mabe your stanfding to close to the amp, single coil pick ups do squeel sometimes due to all the feedback and stuff, try standing somewhere else, and maybe its your amp.
It could be that you just gave a wire that little bit extra to give way, or something. Something like the groundwire coming loose definitely wouldn't be weird.
Quote by weorge
mabe your stanfding to close to the amp, single coil pick ups do squeel sometimes due to all the feedback and stuff, try standing somewhere else, and maybe its your amp.

"..did you plug it in?"

Anyway, check the wiring
Quote by Ekofu
"..did you plug it in?"

Thats what she said.

/off
lol yes i did plug it in =)

i change position and stood further away, still some squeeling.
yeah im afraid i might have nicked something

id like to check the wiring, except i dont know how, never done this before you see, and it has never happened before either.
Quote by muhsmuhs
id like to check the wiring, except i dont know how, never done this before you see, and it has never happened before either.

Just check the wire... not hard.

See if anything's knocked loose or touching/crossing other wires that it appears shouldnt be
Quote by Ekofu
Just check the wire... not hard.

See if anything's knocked loose or touching/crossing other wires that it appears shouldnt be

What he said. Just check all the solderings, try softly wiggling a bit, not too hard. If anything wibbles or wobbles too much, it's loose and therefore might be bugging your signal.

Also, make sure there's a cable going towards your bridge. I don't know if your guitar has a trem, but on my old strat, the ground wire was in the back cavity, soldered onto the tremclaws.

Edit: By checking the wires, we of course mean to open it up again.
alright, its open
i wanna btw thank everyone for their time

anyways
nothing wiggles or wobbles as far as i can tell, i did notice the squeeling being affected by me just putting my hand on the volume knob (if that says anything) without really turning it.
the pup is screwed down in a fairly stable way, i cant wiggle it or anything just by poking etc.i do see the wires running towards the bridge from the neck pup, and nothing seems to be different from when i first took a look at it.
tbh i dont see anything instantly weird as far as i can tell.
Quote by muhsmuhs
alright, its open
i wanna btw thank everyone for their time

anyways
nothing wiggles or wobbles as far as i can tell, i did notice the squeeling being affected by me just putting my hand on the volume knob (if that says anything) without really turning it.
the pup is screwed down in a fairly stable way, i cant wiggle it or anything just by poking etc.i do see the wires running towards the bridge from the neck pup, and nothing seems to be different from when i first took a look at it.
tbh i dont see anything instantly weird as far as i can tell.

Aha, so the sound stops when you touch your volume?

Then it's definitely a grounding problem. Could be in your output? Check all the solderings there, too.

Have you tried different lead cables, by the way?
yeah got 2 different ones.
funny thing is everything worked fine until like, just an hour ago

if it is a grounding problem shouldnt it be affected playing cleans aswell? up until now it has only been playing distorted.
btw i play through a digitech rp100 atm. i'll try without it and get back to you!
right! so all the noise and the squeel and all goes away as soon as i touch the volume knob.
so its a grounding problem?
how do i fix that ?
Quote by muhsmuhs
right! so all the noise and the squeel and all goes away as soon as i touch the volume knob.
so its a grounding problem?
how do i fix that ?

Well, that is the general idea. I couldn't think of anything else, and most times with sounds/noises like this, it's the grounding.

Usually, it means there's a loose/bad wire. You're absolutely sure there isn't one on your guitar?
pretty sure yeah =/

EDIT: i figure im gonna take the guitar in to the local shop tomorrows, to see what the deal is, and try to play on a different amp to see if it has anything to do with that.
Last edited by muhsmuhs at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by muhsmuhs
pretty sure yeah =/

Well, then I'm baffled.

Maybe someone else has any idea at all?
Last edited by Y00p at Sep 30, 2008,