Hey i've got a couple questions about xbox 360 and setting up xbox live to play on my computer screen. I DID POST IN THE GAMING THREAD but didn't get any reply so I though i'd try a thread.

My first question is that if I was to buy a VGA HD (High Definition) cable would that work on any computer screen? I can only find cheap HD ones on ebay, and I don't have the money to spend £15 on the official one.
My second question is that I can only find 1 ethernet port in my computer, which is currently taken up by the broadband box, so how am I supposed to connect my xbox to the computer using the ethernet cable if the only port is taken up?

Thanks, in advance.
PLug it into the routers ethernet instead. or get wireless, or a CAT5 cable. i think
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
1/ It would most likely work on any moniter with a VGA port.
2/ Just plug the 360 ethernet into your router?
Quote by Hereiwas
PLug it into the routers ethernet instead. or get wireless, or a CAT5 cable. i think

Right, I am a complete noob at this btw lol

but all I have got is this cable modem and that only has the one ethernet port (again already in use), i may have to go wireless but that would cost more than I have
and i'll check out that CAT5 cable thanks

Quote by Death_switch
1/ It would most likely work on any moniter with a VGA port.
2/ Just plug the 360 ethernet into your router?

same as above
not sure about routers, whether i have one ..etc.
all i have is the cable modem
and thanks for the VGA answer
Quote by Death_switch
Can't you just alternate between computer and 360?

+1
"I'm just looking for an angel with a broken wing"
-Jimmy Page

CAPTAIN OF PITTOWN AIRFORCE BASE

Quote by sglover34479
Okay ou are the official Airforce captain. Employ whoever the hell you want just check em in check with often rapings.

1) Yes, the VGA cable works with computer monitors, and is full HD. I use mine every day.

2) You should either alternate between the xbox and the computer or see if you can get a network hub plugged in to the modem so you can have them both plugged in at the same time.
Quote by Death_switch

Aha, didn't know I could do that, and that wont mess anything up with my computer if i have to keeping changing them round?

Quote by jakelauer
1) Yes, the VGA cable works with computer monitors, and is full HD. I use mine every day.[2) You should either alternate between the xbox and the computer or see if you can get a network hub plugged in to the modem so you can have them both plugged in at the same time.

I see, I didn't know if I had to have a certain type of monitor to use the HD VGA cable.
I shall look into a network hub aswell, thanks alot.
Quote by mfkr
Aha, didn't know I could do that, and that wont mess anything up with my computer if i have to keeping changing them round?

It shouldn't cause any problems, you just won't be able to use both online at the same time.
Quote by Death_switch
It shouldn't cause any problems, you just won't be able to use both online at the same time.

Ah, that's alright as long as I get live

One of my friends told me using a HD cable would make the game blurry.. not sure though.
Quote by mfkr

One of my friends told me using a HD cable would make the game blurry.. not sure though.

If your moniter has a DVI port (and your 360 has a HDMI port) then you might be able to use a HDMI to DVI cable which would give you better picture quality but regardless I don't think it will be blurry.
Quote by Death_switch
If your moniter has a DVI port (and your 360 has a HDMI port) then you might be able to use a HDMI to DVI cable which would give you better picture quality but regardless I don't think it will be blurry.

Right, thanks.

I don't think my monitor has a vga port, it plugs into a socket (power im guessing) and another goes into the computer.

Can I use the vga through my computer, and still play xbox through the monitor? Or does it have to go straight into the monitor?

+1

That's what i do, kind of annoying, but worth it considering i have no life and have nothing better to do than play on xbox live all day.
When i decide to play i just carry my 360 and 14 inch tv up to my ma's room were the internet connection is ;P then hook it all up, then later have to bring it all back to my room...

Nothing like getting beat by an american at gta4 while struggling to see the name of the person you just killed because your monitor doesnt let you see shit
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Quote by trivium036
+1

That's what i do, kind of annoying, but worth it considering i have no life and have nothing better to do than play on xbox live all day.
When i decide to play i just carry my 360 and 14 inch tv up to my ma's room were the internet connection is ;P then hook it all up, then later have to bring it all back to my room...

Nothing like getting beat by an american at gta4 while struggling to see the name of the person you just killed because your monitor doesnt let you see shit

how many pages did you search through to find this?
ahah, thought it up on the spot, my mind is now lightning fast due to 'pwning' those damn asian kids at bomberman live :]
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Quote by Death_switch
how many pages did you search through to find this?

Lol exactly what I'm thinking.

Thought this thread died.

Back to my last question, lol, can i use vga through my computer, as my monitor doesn't have a vga port, but still play it on the monitor, or would I have to have some sort of software? Should be getting an xbox vga soon for about £5
Quote by mfkr
Lol exactly what I'm thinking.

Thought this thread died.

Back to my last question, lol, can i use vga through my computer, as my monitor doesn't have a vga port, but still play it on the monitor, or would I have to have some sort of software? Should be getting an xbox vga soon for about £5

How old is your moniter? If it doesn't have a VGA port the cable won't work as there will be nothing to plug it in to.
Quote by mfkr

LOL no, im on 1080i on my lcd and im using the component cables and it looks AMAZING compared to my friends CRT tv which when i get used to the 1080i then play a shitting normal tv i want to kill myself.
Quote by Death_switch
How old is your moniter? If it doesn't have a VGA port the cable won't work as there will be nothing to plug it in to.

Not sure how old exactly we got it a year or 2 ago maybe.
It does into the computer using what looks like a vga cable but it disappears into the back of my monitor.