So what;s your preference? Do you like the simplicity of a nice combo amp, or do you like the versitility of a head and cab?
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
i'm pretty fond of my laney combo, used heads and cabs at gigs, prefer my combo but i think that's cause im so used to it, and it sounds pretty shweeet.
I want enough heads and cabs to be able to send each individual frequency to it.

Not freq band.

Each frequency.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I love my combo, but I'd like a head and cab.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I think a half stack is great for what i do.

It is loud enough to gig with and not overly massive so it can be used fro practicing.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I can't imagine actually preferring a combo.

I agree, unless it was a reaallly expensive one. It depends if you need the wattage or not really. My bass teacher just mic's his combo, sends it to the pa and he has great tone.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Nutter_101
I want enough heads and cabs to be able to send each individual frequency to it.

Not freq band.

Each frequency.

Yes, Phil Lesh...

My combo is convenient but I'd rather have a nice Trace Elliot head and an Eden cab thank you very much.
Quote by anarkee
Yes, Phil Lesh...

My combo is convenient but I'd rather have a nice Trace Elliot head and an Eden cab thank you very much.

New from CGi

I'm actually looking into getting an Eden WP-100 preamp to go with my 300W Poweramp atm.

Maybe some nice cabs to go with it - Neodymium perhaps.

So rackmount!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
When i get my new amp I'm gonna get a 2x10 and a 1x15 and a head, leave the 2x10 at my drummers house keep the 1x15 at mine and take the head inbetween. It sucks major when you can't practrice pluggedin at your own home.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
My heart says head 'n' cab/s. I've used Acoustic and Marshall heads on an old HH 2x15", and it's more flexible; in terms of borrowing bits when breakdowns occur, and in terms of getting it in and out of the van. And it looks impressive on stage!
My head however, says combo. It's more practical as there's not much spare space in the house, and I don't have a van at the mo. Besides, small good quality combos can sound good miked-up, and they're better for home recording.
Heart wins tho'; nothing beats the gut churning, trouser flapping grunt of a good half stack! Time to justify chopping the car in for a rusty Transit...
I like combo's for the smaller size. It's easier to transport to practice an gigs.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I'm in love with my SVT stack, but I did try an Eden 600W 2x10 that sounded damn good at a jazz show at my high school. It was older, and I don't think they make it anymore. The guy was playing an early 80's stingray that was beat to hell and back, but it sounded glorious. It had a lot of character. Now back to the topic, I prefer stacks, but combos can still sound great if you're willing to spend a lot of money.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by creepingjesus73
My heart says head 'n' cab/s. I've used Acoustic and Marshall heads on an old HH 2x15", and it's more flexible; in terms of borrowing bits when breakdowns occur, and in terms of getting it in and out of the van. And it looks impressive on stage!

This was just about my best set up ever :- 1965 Fender Jazz, mid 70s Orange Graphic 120 and not foregetting my HH 2x15.

Sorry about the picture quality.
Attachments:
HH Jazz Bass.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John, that's incredible. I wish I could hear how that rig sounded. Any descriptions? I would imagine the 2x15 would be sort of boomy, but in a good way of course
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
John, that's incredible. I wish I could hear how that rig sounded. Any descriptions? I would imagine the 2x15 would be sort of boomy, but in a good way of course

The quality of the Orange was superb until driven too hard when it did start to go into overdrive due to it being primarily a guitar amp, in those days we knew very little about diferent valves/tubes whereas today I would have changed the valves/tubes for more Bass friendly types.
I wouldn't say it was boomy but more of a warm sound.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
That's the one John! Was yours missing the bloody great 'door' off the front too? Mine was stuffed with polyester fibre wadding (like the contents of a cheap duvet) and a pair of JBL's. So no, it didn't boom, it was quite a 'rich' tone. Powered by the '76 Marshall Superbass, it could probly be heard on the moon tho!
I offered to buy it back from the guy I sold it to, recently. He confessed to converting it to a 1x15" with an electric rip saw...so that was a no then. Mind you, they are absurdly heavy.
What happened to the HH combos from the 70's and 80's that were everywhere? They were well regarded if a bit soul-less, and nearly indestructible.
creepingjesus73 Mine was mint condition all complete; it was in the period when the first HH 2x15 cabs were loaded with early Eminence speakers that were a total disaster, HH had to re-speaker just about everything with Fane speakers including mine.
HH were more noted for their PA amps than anything else in those days although I did have an HH VS (valve sound) Bass amp (big mistake).
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn