Hey UG,

I'm looking to learn a little slap-style, but when i play, it sounds either flat and dull or tinny and metallic. So does anyone have any suggestions to acquire a perfect slap bass tone?
I'm using a Washburn Force 4 bass through a Laney Hardcore Max HCM30B, I normally play slap with high bass and treble but no mids with some compressive gain.

Thanks
I don't know about tone, but our bass player can make slap sound good on about anything. I'd say it's probably in your fingers, so it'd probably be a good idea to work out some bugs the way it is now, then find the tone you like. Just my take on it. Good luck
Quote by Funkyfourstring
I normally play slap with high bass and treble but no mids with some compressive gain.

if this doesnt work, then you're strings are probably too old. Get some brand new fresh strings, preferably light gauge for slap, and it should sound a lot better.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Thanks! i fitted my 40-60-80-100 strings from my thunderbird to my washburn and it improved things no end
Is there a light gauge of string out there i can use or are these sufficient?
Quote by Funkyfourstring
Thanks! i fitted my 40-60-80-100 strings from my thunderbird to my washburn and it improved things no end
Is there a light gauge of string out there i can use or are these sufficient?

string gauge is preference not a necessity. Although light guage string do tend to keep their brightness longer.

The best bass strings are either rotosounds or stadium elites.

Get some and you will see why.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
For the love of god put some mids in there. I know a lot of people recommend to cut mids slightly when slapping but you're not supposed to take them out completely. Jesus christ its not that hard to EQ properly. I guarantee that if you put some mids in it will sound infinitely better. Also take of some of the compression. A bad compressor will make everything lifeless and dull.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by shinhoman
string gauge is preference not a necessity. Although light guage string do tend to keep their brightness longer.

The best bass strings are either rotosounds or stadium elites.

Get some and you will see why.

x

Thin strings are just brighter sounding, while heavier guages have a heavier sound.

And Warwick do very good strings, as do DR. Ernie ball do very good strings for a tight budget.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Ernie ball do very good strings for a tight budget.

They tend to die quite quickly though. Thats the only problem with them.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134