I know a bass is already an octave lower than a guitar lol, I meant an octave lower then a bass would normally be tuned to

Quote by pwrmax
The bass in that song is hardly low.

I guess my ears just suck, my bass just always sounds higher
You are aware that bass is tuned an octave lower than guitars right?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by Spenny
I meant an octave lower then a bass would normally be tuned to

I doubt an E below the E string of a bass can be audible. Maybe you're thinking of 5-string basses that go down to a B below the E string.
Quote by pwrmax
I doubt an E below the E string of a bass can be audible. Maybe you're thinking of 5-string basses that go down to a B below the E string.

Maybe, i just thought it sounded really low, and I've never played anymore then a 4 string plugged in so I have no real idea what they sound like
It was probably a subharmonic boost on the lows and cut the mids/highs. Listen to buckethead's stuff on a really good sound system, you'll understand.
Quote by Spenny
Maybe, i just thought it sounded really low, and I've never played anymore then a 4 string plugged in so I have no real idea what they sound like

Very few Bass setups/rigs will produce anything worthwhile below low 'B' around 31Hz.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Anjohl
The low B tuned down to A sounds almost unintelligible...it's great!

yeah but it sounds great when you are playing in a vegetarian progressive grindcore band XD

seriously if you play an octave below E it will sound like messhugah on bass xD
Uh, the bass in that song is not low at all really.

Anyways, nobody really does that. I mean, I know there's a few ridiculous metal bands out there who do tune an octave below but on the whole most bands don't venture past C Standard.
unless you are reffering to... DUNDUNDUNDUN the ultra lo F# which you need a 21 inch speakeer cab to hear!
Quote by pwrmax
I doubt an E below the E string of a bass can be audible.

There you'd be wrong: http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/
this guy plays a full step and a half lower than that
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
For the most part you'll actualy be hearing the 1st harmonic.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by pwrmax

You're forgetting Meshuggah

F A D G tuning. Would that be considered "low F"? I dunno, either way they're way downtuned. Bassist uses power lines for strings
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
That 'F' would more than likely be 43.65HZ, the 'E' string tuned up a semitone (Half step)
Low 'B' on a 5 string is 30.87HZ.
'F' below low 'B' would be 21.83HZ which probably only 0.001% if any of standard amps/speakers could reproduce at any useful sound level.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
That 'F' would more than likely be 43.65HZ, the 'E' string tuned up a semitone (Half step)
Low 'B' on a 5 string is 30.87HZ.
'F' below low 'B' would be 21.83HZ which probably only 0.001% if any of standard amps/speakers could reproduce at any useful sound level.

It's not tuned up, listening to them would tell you that. Their bassist uses .175's for the F string, which would either A) snap the neck if it were tuned up half step or B) warp the neck like crazy.

I don't doubt that it would be near inaudible. Their guitars are tuned down this far too so they're pretty much taking over the role of the bass
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by kugelspot
There you'd be wrong: [censored]
this guy plays a full step and a half lower than that
Edit your post. Never mention his name.
Quote by John Swift
For the most part you'll actualy be hearing the 1st harmonic.

This is correct. When he who shall not be named visited the forums, he described the lower strings as incredibly growly.

Sounds like a lot of harmonics there. Most people can't hear all the way to 20Hz, let alone below that. You would just be hearing the harmonics on top of an inaudible gut shaking rumble.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by smb
Edit your post. Never mention his name.

why not?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Its the vampire syndrome, they can only come in the house if you invite them. At least you didn't say his name 3x.

The maximum range of human hearing is 15-18,000 Hz. You make the call. You may be able to "feel" notes below that range but not really "hear" them.
To TC, that song is not tuned down, I think all the bassist has done is cut out his mids almost completely and played with the tone knob rolled off. Personally, I wouldn't be attempting to get that sound out of my bass, because you might as well be a human octave pedal.

Dunno how this thread became so random/off topic, I guess it wasn't an interesting topic anyway.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Spenny

That is not a five string bass.
Maybe you are confusing a growly bass sound for being super low.
Your bass setup probably just has too much treble (small amp and such).
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Most notes lower than the low B are inaudible, what you can hear though are the harmonics being produced by the notes, not the note its self
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!