ive seen videos and pics of people playing with tremolos, and i am confused on where you rest the edge of your palm? from what i have seen you rest a couple of your fingers on the right side of the strings, is this right because i think this will be hard to adapt to
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
If its an FR style trem you dont want to rest your hand on the trem itself because you will have a tendency to apply pressure which is going to change the pitch of your strings.

If its a vintage style trem then it doesn't really matter because they rest against the body and if you apply pressure it won't do anything.
is there more of the fr version or vintage?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
try resting your hand almost at the pivot-point on the bridge. You'll palm-mute just above the saddles, and you don't have to worry about fudging up the pitch. BUT, don't palm-mute too hard, or else it will change. FR's a b*tch when it comes to palm-muting.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
With my FR, I don't rest my hand on anything. At first it was weird, but now it feels normal. I rest my forearm on top of the guitar though. I suppose that does the same sort of thing.

EDIT:
Quote by SinnaSatan
FR's a b*tch when it comes to palm-muting.

Its no harder than on any other guitar when you get used to the technique, which doesn't really take that long.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
i have a gibson at the mo, and i rest my palm on the bridge
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
is there more of the fr version or vintage?
Hard to say. nearly all fenders (at least strats) have the vintage tremelo, and there's quite a few of them, but then again, there's also a shedload of ibanez's floating around, and they've almost always got a FR-style bridge, called Edge (and the likes).
Fender bridges can dive only, meaning you have to depress the bar to use it, and it makes no diff on the muting. FR (the recessed ones) can both dive.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
I don't rest my hand either with my Floyd Rose. For palm muting, i do it as close to the end of the strings as possible, it gives it a great sound and keeps lots of sustain.
I don't rest my hand either with my Floyd Rose. For palm muting, i do it as close to the end of the strings as possible, it gives it a great sound and keeps lots of sustain.
thing is i wanna jackson and guess what, the majority of jacksons have fr
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
I found the same issue with my ESP LTD with floating FR temolo ... if you palm-mute as you would with a strat., for instance, the notes will go sharp really easily. The only solution I've found is to choke up on the strings at the bridge and rest lightly - it does have a different sound than other guitars I think, but i'm used to it and rarely play my strat much now. FR double locking are typically limited to 1/2 step at best - tune to what you want that guitar to be and plan on keeping it in that tuning.
Guitar: |
Amp:
Pedals: | MXR Stereo Chorus |