I'm looking at buying a new guitar and i am really stuck between these two guitars.

I am really starting to like les pauls recently and i already have 2 ibanez guitars but i love them so much.

I have idolised the jem since day one but i already have similar guitars.

Any ideas?
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
The JEM 555 is pretty poor, steer well clear - it's not worth half what it costs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The JEM 555 is pretty poor, steer well clear - it's not worth half what it costs.

This guy speaks the truth.
Don't buy a 555, because:

-you're paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar

-the only things that sets this apart from a regular Korean RG are the pickups and a few cosmetic touches.

-it's called JEM JR. for a reason.

-you're paying hundreds just for the Steve Vai name on your guitar.

-it's one of the most overpriced signatures I can think off.

-the value for money is terrbile.

-if you want to do crazy whammy stuff with it, be prepared to add 150-200 dollars to the pricetag for a new trem.

-you can get something like an RG1570 for much cheaper and that guitar already has a better trem (plus a better neck, better quality control and better materials).

The JEM555 is one of the worst deals Ibanez currently has to offer; I know the regular JEMs aren't cheap either, but at least they're good guitars with quality parts.

By taking a bog standard Korean RG and slapping on half of the vine inlay, a fancy scratchplate, a few cosmetic touches like a 'Steve Vai' inlay at the 24th fret and some new pickups they've created a guitar which is equal in quality, but about three times the price, of the regular production model this started out as.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 30, 2008,
So as it seems in favour of the les paul, whats the difference between the faded studio and the regualr studio.

There is a big price difference on GAK.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
If you are going to get a Les Paul, do not get a Gibson Les Paul Studio, unless you buy one that you play in a store before buying. The QC is terrible, and many of them suck tremendous balls. But if you find one you like, be sure to take home that guitar - not one from the storeroom.

Or you could just do what I'd do. Get a Tokai, Edwards, Burny, or Greco.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by MetalheadA7X
So as it seems in favour of the les paul, whats the difference between the faded studio and the regualr studio.

There is a big price difference on GAK.

Well, on paper the main difference is in the finish; although from my own experience and what I've read online the Faded s have pretty shoddy quality control.
totally out of the blue this one.

But what about the Ibanez RG2228, it looks pretty amazing!
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I think a better deal than a studio would be saving maybe a $100 or so more and getting a used Classic or something. And I agree finding a good lower end Gibson is like finding a needle in a haystack.
You want a superstrat or a Les Paul?
I wouldnt buy the JEM, and i wouldnt buy the studio.
Go for a Jackson, or an ESP if you want the superstrat, or go for an old Tokai/Burny/orville/greco if you want a Les Paul
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by MetalheadA7X
totally out of the blue this one.

But what about the Ibanez RG2228, it looks pretty amazing!

Personally, I love those

The neck is wide enough to land a small aircraft on, but they are well built.

It takes some time to get used to the wide neck and the extra strings and it'll probably take a while to fully integrate the F# into your playing, but it is great fun to play around with.

Other than the RG, just try a bunch of different models and brands to see what you like.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 30, 2008,
+1 on bonsaischaap and the seagull on the jem555- avoid.

+1 on LP_CL on the tokai and other japanese copies for a LP. unless you're willing to really fork out for a nice gibson.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?