I've been playing for 2 years now... and i always held the pick with my index, middle and thumb. Ive been watching some vids and realized most people use their index and thumb only. I looked stuff up about how to hold it and most said using thumb and index is the best way. I starting trying to do it this way... and its uncomfortable but i can play almost as well. When i tried doing a pinch harmonic however, i couldn't move my thumb down fast enough and if i tried the pick would just slip out. Now im new to pinch harmonics but i can sorta do them. What im really asking is... should i hold my pick with index and thumb or stick with how i always did it. If so, how do i do a pinch harmonic using only my index finger and thumb? help plz
index and thumb is easiest, but whatever on that, as far as pitch harmonics, you hold your hand and the pick normally then angle it whenever you strick the note so that the string rolls off of your pick onto your thumb, and then pull away. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I pick the same way as you, dunno if its doing any harm, but I have no idea really
Yeah really I wouldn't worry about that stuff, I mean lots of great players have held the pick like you were. Just do what is most comfortable. I wouldn't really switch, unless it really bothers you.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
I hold it the same way also, and if that's what works best for you then do that.
Quote by InsomniaRocks

Thank you very much for that video...it makes a lot more sense now.

P.S.- for those who said do whatever feels comfortable...after about a day of doing the new way they both feel comfortable now, so ill do either one depending on how i feel like playing. I still have one question, which i kinda don't understand (a vid would help), how do you do pinch harmonics with only your index and thumb? The pick just slips out of my fingers when i try to move my thumb down fast enough. Is it something i just gotta get used to?
Quote by rbouchard47
Justin sandercoe has a video lesson on youtube. go search for it

I'll check it out now...thanks
Ok... I can get that kinda shrill sound you hear from pinch harmonics, but how do i get that kinda squealy sound you hear in metal songs? Does it have to do with the amp or something?
You will need plenty of gain for them. A lot of that metal "squeal" you get is from playing them cleanly.

Also keep in mind that you'll get different pitches depending on where you pick the harmonic - closer to the bridge is higher, whereas you'll want to pick closer to the neck for those Zakk Wylde "woo"s. I have silly names for things.

Also, I hold my pick the same as you. There's no right or wrong way, do whatever's comfortable. Eddie Van Halen uses his middle finger and his thumb if I'm not mistaken, and he doesn't seem to have problems. :P
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
Quote by Cathrag
You will need plenty of gain for them. A lot of that metal "squeal" you get is from playing them cleanly.

Also keep in mind that you'll get different pitches depending on where you pick the harmonic - closer to the bridge is higher, whereas you'll want to pick closer to the neck for those Zakk Wylde "woo"s. I have silly names for things.

Also, I hold my pick the same as you. There's no right or wrong way, do whatever's comfortable. Eddie Van Halen uses his middle finger and his thumb if I'm not mistaken, and he doesn't seem to have problems. :P

Ok thanks on the advice... ill try and do that later(my amp's at my drummer's house right now so i can't do it at the moment)
Quote by ulimate tabber
Ok... I can get that kinda shrill sound you hear from pinch harmonics, but how do i get that kinda squealy sound you hear in metal songs? Does it have to do with the amp or something?

It's a combination of finding the right node point to pinch at (where on the string) and a healthy amount of wide, fast, consistent vibrato; without good vibrato pinch harmonics tend to sound a bit crap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.