Right now I have a Peavey Ultra 60 112 combo, all tube.

I'm moving soon and I'm trying to upgrade my equipment before I do. I'm moving cross country so a head/cab is a little too much.

I like my Peavey but I'm wondering if I should get a 212? I can always hook up a 412 to it or I could use it as a standalone. I've never really cranked my 112 with a full band but something tells me that even if it was enough sound, something would be lacking.

What do you guys think, and if you suggest I get a new one what's a good place to start?

I play rock/alternative like Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, etc.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
I say look into getting at least a 2x12. Although it will be plenty loud when you crank it up, I find that single speaker amps tend to sound like crap at loud volumes. Hooking it up to a 2x12 will give you a bit more headroom.

Check out Avatar cabs:
www.avatarspeakers.com

Also, a nice OD never hurts anything
I agree I tend to think a 1x12 amp just doesn't have it all. Whereas a 2x12 is just more there. Not much more advice I can give but that.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
You have a very good amp. If you haven't cranked it in a band situation, what makes you think it would be lacking? Likely if you gigg'd it would get mic'd, so having two speakers wouldn't make a lot of difference outside of the added headroom. This is one of the few situations where I would say, if it isn't broke - what are you trying to fix? Plus you said you are moving soon, so would you want to move a heavier amp?
If it's just GAS, I get it completely. But depending on where you are moving to and from, you may be better off waiting and buying in your new location/market. We see a lot of variation in the used markets depending on supply/demand.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
true. i have thought about the issue of just buying one there. i'm going from PA to CA and I could probably find one in the plethora of music stores there.

my only beef with the amp is distorted sounds. it's great for cleans and even sounds good with an acoustic plugged in, but it just doesn't roar and sounds kind of thin...
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
What city? I ask because imgooley is our resident Sacramento craigslist expert. I would check both cities constantly up until the time you leave as Gregs said to broaden your options.

And before you do any of this can you try your amp with an OD pedal? I bet that would rock out.
I search all of California's craigslist all the time. In fact, I'm eyein a Hiwatt in Irvine right now

And to answer the question: If you think you need a new amp, obviously you do. Always. Even if you have a good one already
i think you should try it w/ an OD or EQ pedal first. they really bring an amp's OD to life.

don't get too carried away w/ GAS....just my tip i almost considered selling my Randall RM50 just b/c i was too lazy to ship it off to get fixed...now i'm glad that i've completely reconsidered...cuz it's one bad mofo of an amp!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out