Poll: Experience or Education?
Poll Options
View poll results: Experience or Education?
Experience is more important
69 68%
Education is more important
32 32%
Voters: 101.
Which is more important to you in a person? Obviously this is inspired by the current race for the presidency, but this doesn't have to apply to politics.
For example, if you managed a chain of Hotels and needed a new manager to run one of them who would you choose; a guy who's worked in Hotels and been a junior level supervisor for years, or a guy who just graduated from college with a degree in Hotel Management?
Personally for me the experience outweighs education, but what are your views on this?
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
I would say overall - education, afterall, if you can't learn to read and write, there's barely anything you can actually experience.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Sep 30, 2008,
Experience. I mean, who would I rather have as a bodyguard; a former SAS member who's been out in the field or someone who's studied/been trained by special forces?

Not the best example for obvious reasons. You know I'm like jet li.

Also it depends on what you're applying education/experience to.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by LordBishek
If you do it right, Education should include a degree of experience.

true dat.
I'd say experience is generally more important, but it depends on the situation really.
But yeah, as LordBishek says, the education should provide some experience

EDIT: shit, that's fail. i forgot which post i quoted
Quote by Harmonius
I would say overall - education, afterall, if you can't learn to read and write, there's barely anything you can actually experience.

Well that's not always true. I'm sure a starving kid in Africa who has never touched a book or pencil knows more about basic survival skills than a guy who's watched alot of Man Vs. Wild and studies nature.
But I was more specifically asking which one of those applies to certain situations. Like running for president (obviously McCain has gone to school and college, but he hasn't been to Harvard or anything.)
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
It's experience and it's got to be.

Defeats the purpose of democracy if only the rich can have political power.
EDIT: Oh, I thought you were talking about guitar playing, not just experience in general. In that case, experience all the way - I learn by doing.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Sep 30, 2008,
Obviously it depends, If I'm hiring engineers and I have a guy with a 1st class honours in english lit vs a guy with 30 years experience as a traffic warden neither of them is any shitting good are they?
Experience is important, but as the saying goes.. Practice makes perfect unless your practice incorrectly... Now to practice correctly, that takes education.
Quote by Harmonius

I think the question is not about such extremes like no education at all.

I think it's a mix of both. To me, if you don't know anything about the job ahead despite being a step behind it, you wouldn't do so well in it. My friend was offered a supervisor position recently. He couldn't accept it because he doesn't have a good idea on how that position is like.

I don't think a educated person would do well if he has no experience. It's like reading/watching how to play the guitar, but when you finally get the chance to play one, your clueless and it's totally different then you imagined. I don't know how to swim. Recently I was in a pool, I was figured it can't be that hard, I tried a bit in the small end. Couldn't get myself to even float.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Obviously it depends, If I'm hiring engineers and I have a guy with a 1st class honours in english lit vs a guy with 30 years experience as a traffic warden neither of them is any shitting good are they?

+1 solely for the use of the word "shitting" as an adjective.
You can read about having sex, or you can have sex.

Extreme example, but I think experience is more important.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Well that's not always true. I'm sure a starving kid in Africa who has never touched a book or pencil knows more about basic survival skills than a guy who's watched alot of Man Vs. Wild and studies nature.
But I was more specifically asking which one of those applies to certain situations. Like running for president (obviously McCain has gone to school and college, but he hasn't been to Harvard or anything.)

Of course there are certain circumstances in which experience is the preferred choice but overall, I'd still say that education is more superior at this present era. I know experience is deadly important but the world nowadays are quick to ignore experience in favour of actual degrees (call it a very good investment for professional futures). I may be slightly biased here coming from a Law background. As some have correctly said, education is experience.

@ your McCain point: An education is nonetheless an education, no matter where you study.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by Bowe
Education is experience, just in a controlled manner

and experience is education...in and uncontrolled manner.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by iholmesz
Education without a doubt. True education is experience.

Sorry but that's bullshit, education is someone saying "here's what is going to happen, and here is how you should react" But when faced with that situation in real life, someone with no experience may panic and forget their training, it takes experience to keep a cool head, you'll know what to do because you will have experience of facing a situation like this before.
Quote by Harmonius
I'd still say that education is more superior at this present era

Yeah, because what the US government needs is more people that have no idea how to run a country but have a good idea how to win a lawsuit

Education implies that the person has had an education, in anything.
Experience implies that the person is educated in the exact field they're working in.

Quote by rich420
Sorry but that's bullshit, education is someone saying "here's what is going to happen, and here is how you should react" But when faced with that situation in real life, someone with no experience may panic and forget their training, it takes experience to keep a cool head, you'll know what to do because you will have experience of facing a situation like this before.

That's not necessarily true. At law school, they teach you how to react with real clients and real problems. They go through it step by step. In this way you could also say that education is technically experience.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

My answer was biased because you're example was hotel management and my college has possibly the #1 hotel management school in the world, and you work something like 800 hours in the hotel here to graduate. But I think an educated person can learn how to be successful easier. Obviously it's better to have both...
Quote by Harmonius
That's not necessarily true. At law school, they teach you how to react with real clients and real problems. They go through it step by step. In this way you could also say that education is technically experience.

Yeah i see your point, when i made mine i was focusing on more hands-on type jobs. I was picturing the army actually when i posted, for some reason.

Still, cannot underestimate experience, you could be taught step-by-step how to get through an interrogation with the best training money can buy, but you're still gonna be shitting bricks if an Iraqi is threatening to cut off your balls

Bottom line is, the 2 go hand-in-hand and complement each other nicely. You wouldn't want one without the other. Education is a form of experience, and you also get educated by experience.
It's relative to what someone is talking about. In this election, not just education, but the fact Obama graduated from Harvard, education and intellectualism for sure.
Quote by freedoms_stain

Exactly. The question is already bad because many people could argue that they go hand in hand. In many cases you become educated through experience so it's like they are the same thing.

Also (to reply to one of the above posts), you don't have to be rich to be educated. You learn what you want to learn and if you really want to learn something you don't need the best teachers to teach you. All it takes is time, discipline and dedication and you can learn whatever you choose to. The same applies in the opposite case. You could have the best teachers but if you don't want to learn than you simply won't.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by KingJustinian25
My answer was biased because you're example was hotel management and my college has possibly the #1 hotel management school in the world, and you work something like 800 hours in the hotel here to graduate. But I think an educated person can learn how to be successful easier. Obviously it's better to have both...

do you go to NAU by chance
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Which is more important to you in a person? Obviously this is inspired by the current race for the presidency, but this doesn't have to apply to politics.
For example, if you managed a chain of Hotels and needed a new manager to run one of them who would you choose; a guy who's worked in Hotels and been a junior level supervisor for years, or a guy who just graduated from college with a degree in Hotel Management?
Personally for me the experience outweighs education, but what are your views on this?

Well someone who's qualified in Hotel Management is likely to be a cretin, so for that one I'd go with experience.

But as a general rule I'd go with education.

Although I'd take actual smartness over both.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Noel Redding to Jimi Hendrix: "Experience or Education?"
Hendrix: ""
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
experience is more important but most of the time you need to be educated to be offered the proper experience in the first place
people value experience a lot more. because what use is someone with a degree, if they don't know how to do a job, compared to someone with no education but who has done a job like that for 5 years.

a lot of companies prefer experience and that's what most people look for.
A degree is simply a license to learn. Experience is where it's at.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
experience is what lets you realize you've made a mistake... again.

EDUCATION, I CHOOSE YOU!
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
I don't want them too experienced or too well educated. It's enthusiasm and imagination I'm after.

Oh, we're not talking about sexual partners?
Quote by Jackal58
A degree is simply a license to learn. Experience is where it's at.
10year Master Sergeant > Fresh-out-of-college Second Lieutenant.
Quote by cooper512
"it' not what you know, it's who you know."
it's not who you know, it's who you blow.

it's all a matter of how much experience and how much education.
3 months experience won't outweigh a college degree.
a degree won't outweigh 10 years of (successful) experience.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.