Dear God. I've been playing for about a month, and reading around, I feel like there is such an unfathomably astronomical amount of stuff I have to learn, that I feel like I'm being crushed! I know it takes a long time to get better, but I feel so discouraged knowing that after hours of going over one little detail, there are 5 jillion other details I have to mow through, and then I have to go through combining each of the details. It really seems like too damn much! How do you deal with the sheer number of things to learn, most of which are totally boring theory crap coupled with totally boring repetitive exercises?
Notorious S.I.G.
Theory really isn't that hard, just be patient with it. It isn't required for guitar but it is a HUGE plus if you can read sheet music. I prefer to do vocal/some guitar melodies on piano beforehand, which I find is a lot easier than with a guitar (this is where sheet music helps).
Develop a practice schedule, work in some time to combine the things you have learned into playing a riff you like, a song you feel like playing.

Don't give up!!!

By the sounds of it, your serious about learning your instrument. It's hard work, and you will come to various fences you have to jump along the way. But don't give up.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Why are you asking God? If you want to get really good with no practice or hard work then you need to make a deal with the Devil.

Joking aside, if anyone can get really amazing in 2 days no one would worship someone for their playing because anyone can do it.
Quote by mtforever

Don't give up!!!

By the sounds of it, your serious about learning your instrument. It's hard work, and you will come to various fences you have to jump along the way. But don't give up.

+1. It's a tough climb but the view is worth it.

And lol at pwrmax.
Learning is never done. It's a good thing, though. Think about the endless possibilities you have on that guitar neck!
Down the hallway footsteps were comin' for the Jack of Hearts...
I understand what your saying, im in the same boat. Ive been playing just over a month and i'm really struggling to stick at it. I just don't seem to be making any progress. I have not even began to look a theory yet, im just practicing my chord changes, strumming patterns and some simple songs like,"One" by U2 and "Under the watch tower" by Hendrix/Dylan. But at the end of the day i made a promise to myself that i WILL play guitar. I don't care if it takes me 50 years, i will play it to a good standard one day. Just keep telling yourself that and it will keep you going.
There is a lot to learn - it never actually stops either, there's ALWAYS going to be something you don't know. You just have to start at the beginning and approach things logically and methodically. There's no point trying to jump into the middle of things because some of the "easier" stuff is boring - invariable all that boring stuff is the groundwork that will enable you to do the more exciting things, like all that wax on, wax off crap in Karate Kid.

For the first couple of months don't worry too much about theory , you can explore it if you want but only look at the bits that apply directly to what you're learning. Concentrate more on the physical aspects of playing...get used to the feel of the guitar and work on open chords to build some finger strength and dexterity.

Chords are not only the easiest way to get playing songs, you'll also be using them in some shape or form throughout your playing so it's best to get using them from the start. At the beginning even holding down a chord is incredibly difficult, playing one is infuriating and changing between them is nigh-on impossible but as you practice and your muscles adapt it gets easier. Just be realistic, don't get frustrated because you can't solo after 3 months, just set yourself realistic, short term goals. In the first few weeks they literally have to be stuff like "By the end of this week I will be able to hold down an E chord and strum it cleanly" but after the first 6 months or so it things will start to come to you a lot more easily.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Think of all the information as a good thing.
It's what makes the possibilities of music endless, and will eventually help you in the long run.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Yup.

This October 8th will make offically 1 year of guitar for me. However it hasnt been an intense year. If anything, I would say I actually have 7-8 months guitar experience.

I still cant play much. Just a few intros., about 15 scales and a tad of tapping. I cant improv for shyt and my chord changes and barre chords are ragged as hell.

Im married though, with kids, full time job, 2 hour commute and a house to take care of so guitar time is limited to 30 minutes to an hour a day. Its going to take a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time....
Playing an instrument is a constant learning experiment. You will never know everything about guitar. So approaching it in a "I have to learn all of this." fashion is setting yourself up for disappointment. Take it slow, one step at a time.
Learning guitar is a life long persuit, so for sure there is a lot to learn. LOL My advice is keep things fun. The boring repetitive things must be done to get better, but spice it up with learning some simple fun songs and riffs. Also, try to pick up your guitar everyday. I've got my guitars sitting in my favorite room of the house. So they are in plan sight, begging to be played. That way even if it's only 10 minutes I can practice strumming chords or doing spider exercise everyday.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Music is a craft, an art form. Progressing in music is a constant learning experience. When you stop learning, you stop growing. However, that's what makes it so rewarding. You get out of it exactly what you put in.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play