I was looking to find a guitar that has a really good neck that I could Use for blues and rock....Im in my church band and its christian rock (I dont like christian rock but ive only been playing for 6months and I will learn alot of chords from being in that band) and then when i take my lessons I play blues So i wanted a guitar with single coils and a great neck so boom I saw the Ibanez S-series guitar and they looked very attractive because I know their playablitity is amazing however my guitar says always go with the guitar that feels the best with you because you can make it sound like any other guitar once you change the pickups so could I put likoe texas specials in the single coils and then like a pearly gates in the Humbucker and Have a guitar that sounds like a fender but plays beutifully like an ibanez? Also at the same I would benefit from the rock sound it would give m and the tremolo while performing with the rock band.... When playing my epi lespaul custom I find that when I play full songs with power chords and bar chords it kills my hand and wrist which gets very annoying during long practices......
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
fender strat ibanez's are metal not blues..
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
You can play whatever you want, ibanez's dont have good cleans cause that's not what the pickups are made for. A swap would be a good idea. Keep in mind that it won't have the warmth of a mahogany body.

Quote by dreams broken
fender strat ibanez's are metal not blues..

Know what you're talking about before you post.
Quote by yomoma21

lol that speakes measures
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by tona_107
You can play whatever you want, ibanez's dont have good cleans cause that's not what the pickups are made for. A swap would be a good idea.

so you think if i swapped them out for some kind of blues single coils(maybe texas specials) and a pearly gates in the back i could get a good blues tone?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
First off: Punctuation is very very important. Make your posts readable.

Second: I always liked the Ibanz SA series for blues. The pickups have a higher output than Fender pups, but that doesn't mean they won't work for blues. If you want to change the pups though, do so. Either way the guitar should work for you.

EDIT: If you can find one, have a look at the Yamaha Pacifica 812. It's a HSS strat-style guitar with Duncans, nice for blues. It is pricier than most Ibanez SA guitars, but still cheaper than buying the Ibanez AND new pups for it.
Finding them in the US is near impossible, but it's no problem in Europe. So if you happen to live in Europe, give it a try.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 30, 2008,
I would imagine that that would work pretty good, the guitar itself should work its just the sound from the pickups that make people say that it wont. But if you swap it and have a good amp then Great
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Brian8878682
so you think if i swapped them out for some kind of blues single coils(maybe texas specials) and a pearly gates in the back i could get a good blues tone?

that would work possibly i was just saying they were metal cuz i havent saw a good bluesy player play somthing with the ibanez
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
You can play the blues on any guitar and it will still sound just fine. If you like the feel of the Ibanez more so than a Fender than go for it. S-series Ibanez are very versatile guitars.
Quote by TheQuailman
First off: Punctuation is very very important. Make your posts readable.

Second: I always liked the Ibanz SA series for blues. The pickups have a higher output than Fender pups, but that doesn't mean they won't work for blues. If you want to change the pups though, do so. Either way the guitar should work for you.

yea sorry about the punctuation and spelling im terrible about typing it out really fast and then forgeting to look over it before I post

Ok so most people dont judge the style a guitar was made for by the wood it uses or the weight (for the most part). So if I got an HSS MIA strat and put pearly gates in back and texas specials in the front and then did the same to an Ibanez SA, then put and then do a blind test and play each one it would be very tuff to tell which one sounded like the strat right? Does that make since? Seems that if thats true the only down side to me using it for blues is that I would look funny and be critised from doing so lol
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Why would you not want to use your LP? You haven't been playing long, ofcause everything will hurt early on. But the more you practise the easier you'll be able move your hands.

Besides, its not like an Epiphone Les Paul Custom is a low end guitar.
from what your saying, I think you would be happiest with a Fender Strat....maybe a fat strat. While the necks aren't as thin as Ibanez's, they still play very smooth, and can do blues and rock quite well.

And all that is from someone who is usualy biased against fenders...I just realy think thats what would be best for you.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
from what your saying, I think you would be happiest with a Fender Strat....maybe a fat strat. While the necks aren't as thin as Ibanez's, they still play very smooth, and can do blues and rock quite well.

And all that is from someone who is usualy biased against fenders...I just realy think thats what would be best for you.

What would make you say that aside from the fact that I play blues? Shouldent it be comfort/quality first then Sound second because i can get a fender and put emg's in it and it can sound like an ESP I mean thats what charvel basicly did with san dimas
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by silly hats
Why would you not want to use your LP? You haven't been playing long, ofcause everything will hurt early on. But the more you practise the easier you'll be able move your hands.

Besides, its not like an Epiphone Les Paul Custom is a low end guitar.

As the LP custom is very nice its noot the blues tone that im looking for I want that single coil sound and also my Lp doesent have that great of a nek on it nor a very good action its tollerbale bu it just feels very average if that makes much sense?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by creeping.death!
This.

I dont think artcores would have as good necks and playability? Nor would they have Single coils
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by yomoma21

That's some sweet tone. I wonder what kind of amp he's using.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by Brian8878682
What would make you say that aside from the fact that I play blues? Shouldent it be comfort/quality first then Sound second because i can get a fender and put emg's in it and it can sound like an ESP I mean thats what charvel basicly did with san dimas

lol....

okay, i'm pretty sure that if you were to play a strat, you would find it very comfortable to play. And not many people would deny that they are quality instruments.

And for the sound your saying you wan't, it seems a strat would be best for you, and it wouldn't even require any extra money for a pickup change or other mods. You could buy one second hand and save a tone of money instead of buying a guitar made stock for metal and trying to change it into a blues/softish rock guitar.

It's just the logical option IMO.

Edit:
Also, I think that sound should actualy be first followed by comfort/playability. You shouldn't rely on a pick up change alone to shape your tone.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Last edited by HLrocker at Sep 30, 2008,
I personally think that you should suck it up, get the guitar set up for comfort. If you really want, get a pickup change. It really is a waste of money trying to find something that will introduce a small amount of comfort. Your hands need to be trained that why is uncomfortable.

If you really want a strat, just get a Standard HSS strat, I have one and they're very nice. Besides what amp do you have?

I was going to say something about single coils, but forgot.
Quote by HLrocker
lol....

okay, i'm pretty sure that if you were to play a strat, you would find it very comfortable to play. And not many people would deny that they are quality instruments.

And for the sound your saying you wan't, it seems a strat would be best for you, and it wouldn't even require any extra money for a pickup change or other mods. You could buy one second hand and save a tone of money instead of buying a guitar made stock for metal and trying to change it into a blues/softish rock guitar.

It's just the logical option IMO.

Edit:
Also, I think that sound should actualy be first followed by comfort/playability. You shouldn't rely on a pick up change alone to shape your tone.

yea i think before i consider buying an ibanez I should try out more strats before writing them off.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
To the person who said Ibanez's are just for metal that is a very shortsighted view. I have just purchased a JS1000 and I would say it is perfect for blues. It has a vintage feeling neck, amazing sustain and tone and you can split both humbuckers and use the high pass filter on the volume pot to get pretty much any tone you want. I can easily get a great SRV style tone. I will post a video soon to show you the tonal capabilities.
If you want to spend the money, I'd bet that a PGM would be able to do blues, even though it has humbuckers.
Quote by Brian8878682
yea i think before i consider buying an ibanez I should try out more strats before writing them off.

I think that's a good idea...but that's not to say you should write off the Ibanez's either... It's all a matter of opinion, and no one can realy tell you what would be best for you, we can just give our opinions that may or may not be right for you.

Before you buy any guitar you should always play a handfull of guitars just to make sure your getting the best one for you.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Quote by silly hats
I personally think that you should suck it up, get the guitar set up for comfort. If you really want, get a pickup change. It really is a waste of money trying to find something that will introduce a small amount of comfort. Your hands need to be trained that why is uncomfortable.

If you really want a strat, just get a Standard HSS strat, I have one and they're very nice. Besides what amp do you have?

I was going to say something about single coils, but forgot.

I have a Marshall JCM900 50watt Dual reverb head with a crate celestion cab.... and my hands are trained im not the average kid that starts playing guitar and goes on the internet and looks up greenday songs and practices about 15 minutes every day. I take guitar seriously and I do alot of practicing and devote alot of time twords it Each week i have practice with a band for about 3 hours then I alos have guitar lessons each week. Ive been playing long enoughto know that the neck on my guitar isent all that great and id like a better one however I do think that I can find a strat with a neck that i like its just hard for me to try out guitars because I live about 30mins for a GC and all my local shops carry bad guitars.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Last edited by Brian8878682 at Sep 30, 2008,
^Nice amp man...

And i know what you mean about haveing a long drive to a good music shop. I have to drive half and hour to get to the closest one to where i live, and it's pathetic. to get to a good one, i gotta strap in for an hour/hour n a half drive up to memphis :/
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
^Nice amp man...

And i know what you mean about haveing a long drive to a good music shop. I have to drive half and hour to get to the closest one to where i live, and it's pathetic. to get to a good one, i gotta strap in for an hour/hour n a half drive up to memphis :/

thanks for the complement
yea with gas at $4 dollares a gallon I dont get to go to GC very much
But....I still have some tubes and pedals I need to get before I get another guitar so I still have awhile to think about what.
However I think that I will deff try out bunch of fenders next time I go to a guitar center or a place that actually caries good guitars
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Last edited by Brian8878682 at Sep 30, 2008,
Or if you're playing old style blues, you could try Hagstroms. They make some nice hollows and semi-hollows (some are available with P90s if you really want singles). The build quality is generally pretty good and they aren't too pricey.