Has anyone tried the Robot SG? I've got my eye on the silver burst model. now I've never been a big Gibson guy. Not that I don't like Gibson, I'm just more of a super strat guy. But the Robot SG boasts the light weight feel I crave with the robot technology I tried and loved on the Les Paul Robot. Does anyone have any experience with this axe?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I played around with it. It's neat. Can't say it's a bad guitar, but because of the lightweight body, and the extra junk stuck on the headstock, it likes to dive headfirst. Other than that though, the one I tried played quite well. The robotic tuners are a neat gimmick, but to be honest, unless you're a working musician that really needs to tune super fast, and tune to different tunings on the fly, not sure it's worth all the extra money.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
yeah, and I have been for years! If could have the axe do it itself, that would be great! I guess there are a lot of purists that would rather do it them self or don't trust it... I kinda don't trust it, but if it really works... I must have this! No fuss no muss!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Honestly i can't see the whole self-tuning thing doing much for the guitar tonally. A good set of tuners, a good nut, a nice bridge, and a good set up will do just fine. Especially if it has a locking nut. If you don't really like Gibson, why burn the cash on it?
I have the feeling the next generation of guitarists won't know how to tune themselves *sigh*

*shakes fist at Gibson*

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
my 100 dollar squeer bullet will tune itself someday.

HighPotency makes a really good point too. I cant confirm because i never played one, but I just wouldn't believe it.
i wish they made robot floyd roses

automatically tunes and electronic sensors to keep it parallel all the time and whatnot
Quote by di$TOrTed
i wish they made robot floyd roses

automatically tunes and electronic sensors to keep it parallel all the time and whatnot

Imagine a floyd with a self set-up system
To you people who say "in ten years, all guitars will tune themselves. No one will know how to do it", what exactly is the problem with that? Tuning a guitars is boring and steals time from actually playing the thing. I'd kill for a robot guitar. Just imagine having a perfectly tuned guitar in a matter of seconds.

Who doesn't want that?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
it's not meant to just keep the guitar in tune. It's meant to change in between tunings quickly and accurately. It's not meant for the bedroom shredder. It's pointless if you're just going to keep it in one tuning.

I have the feeling the next generation of guitarists won't know how to tune themselves *sigh*

*shakes fist at Gibson*

do you use an electric tuner?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by bjoern_swe
To you people who say "in ten years, all guitars will tune themselves. No one will know how to do it", what exactly is the problem with that? Tuning a guitars is boring and steals time from actually playing the thing. I'd kill for a robot guitar. Just imagine having a perfectly tuned guitar in a matter of seconds.

Who doesn't want that?

The other benefits are that-

a) No one will fear downtuning or attempting alternate tunings.
b) Beginners will develop a better ear for guitar because they'll never play an instrument that's slightly out of tune.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it's not meant to just keep the guitar in tune. It's meant to change in between tunings quickly and accurately. It's not meant for the bedroom shredder. It's pointless if you're just going to keep it in one tuning.

do you use an electric tuner?

No o_o

I feel all old fashioned when I tune. I dunno, it's an important aspect to actually know the tunings and such. I guess I was taught that way. I can understand the Robot series or the VG series for Fender are made for the ease of gigging, but when it comes down to plain old bedroom practice, it takes away an important aspect of guitar. Even with electronic tuners, one can actually understand the note values of their tunings instead of "wtf am i playing lulz"

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Personally, I just see it as another thing to go wrong on the guitar. A pedal tuner and my fingers work just as fine, and if the tuner craps out for any reason, it doesn't hurt the guitar any. Granted, if the electronics fail on the Robot, the guitar still works and can be tuned by hand, but it's still "broken." Considering the money you paid for it, wouldn't you still want to get it fixed?

As long as the rest of the guitar is fine, well built, and decent quality, you should only have to tune it once or twice and the guitar SHOULD stay in tune quite well on it's own. It's not really any faster than tuning it yourself (with a pedal tuner). The only real advantage I can see to having it is it's ability to change tunings real fast without too much thought. Then again, still easily enough done with a seperate tuner.

Not saying it's a bad guitar as I thought the one I played, played very nicely. Just don't think it's worth the extra dough.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Oct 1, 2008,
Instruments that tune themselves will eliminate the most basic pitch identification you can do when you're beginning. It's hard enough to teach people to be able to identify the 6 pitches of a guitar string alone, not to mention each fret.
Quote by Hakael
Personally, I just see it as another thing to go wrong on the guitar. A pedal tuner and my fingers work just as fine, and if the tuner craps out for any reason, it doesn't hurt the guitar any. Granted, if the electronics fail on the Robot, the guitar still works and can be tuned by hand, but it's still "broken." Considering the money you paid for it, wouldn't you still want to get it fixed?

As long as the rest of the guitar is fine, well built, and decent quality, you should only have to tune it once or twice and the guitar SHOULD stay in tune quite well on it's own. It's not really any faster than tuning it yourself (with a pedal tuner). The only real advantage I can see to having it is it's ability to change tunings real fast without too much thought. Then again, still easily enough done with a seperate tuner.

Not saying it's a bad guitar as I thought the one I played, played very nicely. Just don't think it's worth the extra dough.

Yeah, but if you had the money, and needed to go from standard tuning to open G for some slide in one song, that would be one awesome guitar.

I wish they came in the LP Traditional/Standard colours, the Studio looks just don't cut it for me. Same with the tuning knob, they should have fitted it with one that fits the colour scheme.

EDIT: They've just released two more!! The Explorer and the Flying V, but in ROBOT FORM!!

Only in red though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by pacoasterrider
Instruments that tune themselves will eliminate the most basic pitch identification you can do when you're beginning. It's hard enough to teach people to be able to identify the 6 pitches of a guitar string alone, not to mention each fret.

you really think that it'll be put on beginner guitars?

the cheapest guitars will always be no frills.

to be able to play anything they recognise they're going to have to be able to recognise pitch. having the instrument tune up for them will just mean they have to learn another way.

if anything it'll make people better at learning guitar because they'll have to recognise the notes themselves and not just box shapes.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
These guitars are one of these things that work maybe 4 in every 5 times you use it. I saw a demo of one in a shop. When it works it is VERY cool, but that one time it doesn't and it winds up out of tune/intonation or blows out a string, you're screwed.
Quote by CJRocker
These guitars are one of these things that work maybe 4 in every 5 times you use it. I saw a demo of one in a shop. When it works it is VERY cool, but that one time it doesn't and it winds up out of tune/intonation or blows out a string, you're screwed.

true point, imagine that thing going psycho and snapping strings while you're playing. owch. It's something that will probably be perfected in a few years tho.
the system's already been out for a few years.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

2005. although this may be a different company.

EDIT:actually
Quote by that article
The transperformance guitar has been in existence for 16 years, but despite this elite clientele its commercial history has been rocky

so it should be doing well now.

Quote by element4433
true, i still would feel more comfortable on stage doing it myself instead of it tuning itself. Just tell you're lead singer to tell a joke and do a quick tune-job. haha
Quote by pacoasterrider
true, i still would feel more comfortable on stage doing it myself instead of it tuning itself. Just tell you're lead singer to tell a joke and do a quick tune-job. haha

that's fine if you've been pushing a jokey atmosphere, but if you're some prog band or something, you'll completely kill the mood.

EVERYTHING about a performance matters, not to mention tuning for 30 seconds between each song eats up your set time a lot.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
that's fine if you've been pushing a jokey atmosphere, but if you're some prog band or something, you'll completely kill the mood.

EVERYTHING about a performance matters, not to mention tuning for 30 seconds between each song eats up your set time a lot.

drum solo time!!!!!!

ha, can you mute the robot guitar? because you'd just have to strum it and everyone would have to hear the guitar figure out how to get into tune. Im guessing it does this and mutes the output; because no one wants to hear the guitar go into tune and stuff.