Yeah, "pitarists." Deal with it.

Anyway... After a band practice, gig, or going to a gig, I always get ringing in my ears, otherwise known as tinnitus, and it would usually last less than a day. I never wore ear plugs or any sort of ear protection, and guess what? I now have permanent tinnitus in both ears. I've had it for about five months now, and it's mild to severe in my left ear and moderate in my right ear. It's ALWAYS there, but I don't always notice it. I've read up on a few "cures," which I might look into soon, but some people say you can never get rid of it.

Unfortunately, it's too late for me. I really wish I wore some sort of protection, and I wanted to warn my fellow pitarists that it's important. It's pretty easy to get, and having it really sucks. Having any sort of hearing damage sucks.

If you've got anything else to say about it, feel free, and just discuss it here I guess.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
What TS you thought they discovered tinnitus yesterday? It sucks you've got it, but you were an idiot not to protect your ears in the first place.
Quote by metaldud536
That sucks man.

R.I.P Dimebag

hahahazorz
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by metaldud536
That sucks man.

R.I.P Dimebag

dude thats classic.

yeh i always wear earplugs or muffs when i can, i already have sensitive hearing and my left ear is a bit shot so i im not taking any more chances
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by heaven's gate
What TS you thought they discovered tinnitus yesterday? It sucks you've got it, but you were an idiot not to protect your ears in the first place.

I know.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
I get re-occurring tinnitus, I have for about the past six years. At the time I was in a pretty loud hard rock band and that's where I aquired it. About once a day it gets so loud I can't hear anyone around me, just this one high pitched tone. It goes away after about 30sec.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I've had it for a few years now.

You get used to it.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
In my left ear for some reason i get a clipping if (normally with load high pitches + mixture of mids / low). It really sux and some days it is worst then others. Been to like 4 different doctors and the only thing one of them could come up with is the fact that i can hear around -5 Decibel in my left ear and he thinks that the nerves get overloaded causing them to clip much like your guitar. This same doctor was talking about how awesome zeppelin I was when it came out and how he was blown away the first time he heard communication breakdown.
I have mild tinnitus too.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I try to wear ear protection but I always forget it, like today... My mum has that ringing in the ear, she's use to it now but yeah, no cure apparantly.

My hearing's a little dampened but should recover soon, but yeah, next time I'll make 100% sure otherwise I'll go insane with a constant ringing.

EDIT: My mums tinnitus was caused by Aspatame, so the doctor said... So it's not always about loud noises.
Last edited by Blast For Satan at Sep 30, 2008,
I always earplugs when I jam.

Maybe you'll be as good Pete Townshend now TS.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Srry TS they came a couple months too late.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
How can you hear yourself play if you have earplugs?

/stupid question.
LARGE TEXT
I wear earplugs now because my drums made my ears sore for more than a day. damn snare.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Holy.
How can you hear yourself play if you have earplugs?

/stupid question.

Well when he practices with his band, usually the drums are louder than the rest of the instruments so everyone has to be loud too leading one massive ball of loudness.
ive ha it since i was born
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by heaven's gate

Despite how long ago it became "known", many people still don't realize how serious it is and how easily it is to get. It could happen to anyone.

Hope that it doesn't get any worse for you TS, it can be quite a pain.

Ear plugs = A must!
Quote by monkeyguitar78
Despite how long ago it became "known"

What I said was purely rhetoric.
Quote by monkeyguitar78
many people still don't realize how serious it is and how easily it is to get. It could happen to anyone.

People who realize how serious it is aren't too swift, and it is completely avoidable.
paul gilbert has the same thing
member of ug hatecrew

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by hatecrew15
paul gilbert has the same thing

A few famous musicians have/had it.

Beethoven
Paul Gilbert
Pete Townshend
Neil Young
Eric Clapton

That sort of glorifies it, but it's not at all glorious. From now, ear protection is a must.

And to heaven's gate, just take it easy, man.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
you guys are a bunch of wusses (or grandparents)! if you really knew how to rock out, you wouldn't care.
Quote by kosmic
And to heaven's gate, just take it easy, man.

Sorry if I seem aggressive, its just that a lot of my friends are all like "Yo man it ruins the music!!!!1! I'm not gonna lose my hearing anyway!!1!!!1" when I tell them about how important it is to protect your ears.

Again I mean no offense or anything.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Its not too bad. Paul Gilbert has it and look where he is now.

Permanent damage to your ears IS NOT good.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Its not too bad. Paul Gilbert has it and look where he is now.

The fact that he has hearing damage has absolutely nothing to do with how successful he is, OR how good of a musician he is. So...
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
I never wear plugs. I figure I got natural ear plugs, the only downside is saying "what?" a lot
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I only get it after concerts when I don't wear ear-plugs.
Progressive Nation '08 was the worst.. I could barely hear for about 2 days.. scared me a bit.

Aside from that, my hearing is fine.
duh. loud noise = ear death. anyone with common sense would know to protect themselves.

sorry buddy
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by mr.happyman
you guys are a bunch of wusses (or grandparents)! if you really knew how to rock out, you wouldn't care.

You can't troll with other trolls. It just doesn't work.