I tried the search bar and nothing came up...

So I've heard both sides, and I wanna know what UG thinks. Is buying guitars / amps off ebay reliable / okay to do?

I'm not sure.
It all depends on how smart or stupid you are. I've bought 4 guitars and 1 amp on Ebay and I was pleased with my purchase. Just stay smart and check the sellers feedback etc.
don't do it check stores in your area and see if you can find it used you'll get at neer the same price but youll know what your getting before you buy it
Everything except my pedal came off ebay.
Very good source of second hand gear.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Griever988
It all depends on how smart or stupid you are. I've bought 4 guitars and 1 amp on Ebay and I was pleased with my purchase. Just stay smart and check the sellers feedback etc.

+1 I've gotten almost all my gear off ebay and at about half price, just gotta be smart and patient...
it is risky in my opinion. if you don't like the guitar you get, and the seller is allowing you to return it (which they don't HAVE to), you have to pay the shipping which isn't cheap on big, heavy things like guitars and amps.
well if is reliability you are worrying about. ebay have buyer's protection up to 2000 dollars. so basically ebay will cover your purchases up to that amount if the product is not within the seller's description. so the seller would have no choice but to give you a refund.

fyi, i bought most of my gears off ebay and criagslist. just do your homework and ask the seller as many questions as you can and you should be fine
Quote by kckyle
well if is reliability you are worrying about. ebay have buyer's protection up to 2000 dollars. so basically ebay will cover your purchases up to that amount if the product is not within the seller's description. so the seller would have no choice but to give you a refund.

fyi, i bought most of my gears off ebay and criagslist. just do your homework and ask the seller as many questions as you can and you should be fine

I believe the buyers protection depends on the feedback of the seller. It's like $200 for someone with low or no feedback, but up to $2000 if they have a good rating. Not too sure, but I have noticed it before.

Try harmony central first. Huge selection of guys trying to sell stuff quick for other stuff.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I believe the buyers protection depends on the feedback of the seller. It's like $200 for someone with low or no feedback, but up to $2000 if they have a good rating. Not too sure, but I have noticed it before.

Try harmony central first. Huge selection of guys trying to sell stuff quick for other stuff.

hmmm no i believe its up to 2000 for anyone you bought using paypal. in fact i used that protection last time when my pedal for the amp arrived DOA and he won't cooperate, so i filed a reimbursement fee and he had no choice but to wire me the money.
Show some smarts and you can pick up some things that you won't find in your local store at a price your local store would baulk at.

Go to IbanezRules and look at their tips for buying off ebay.
I bought both my guitar and amp off of the bay and everything turned out fine.
People with lots of good feedback are likely more reliable, after buying pray to god the postman doesnt drop the damn box

I think the majority of these deals turn out fine, so just do your homework like everyone says and you wont get ripped off
Usually it's safe as long as you're careful and check the seller's feedback. But I found that in my country it's almost always cheaper to buy used stuff outside of ebay. But then, ebay has a lot more offerings than the local paper...
Also be careful about the ebay/paypal protection - I got ripped off on some Radiohead tickets for a London gig earlier this year - they never arrived. I thought it would be no problem to reclaim the funds via paypal etc. but couldn't do this is because (1) paypal will only refund you if the seller has funds in their account and (2) it takes around 3 weeks to go through all the procedures - plenty of time for the seller to empty their paypal account. I still use ebay and agree with others that it's generally OK if you're smart about it, but be aware that their payment protection isn't as comprehensive as they like to claim.

Good luck!
Do research about the guitar first and ask the seller to take some extra picture of specific angle just to prove that he/she actually is serious. It works for me.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by pete2908
Also be careful about the ebay/paypal protection - I got ripped off on some Radiohead tickets for a London gig earlier this year - they never arrived. I thought it would be no problem to reclaim the funds via paypal etc. but couldn't do this is because (1) paypal will only refund you if the seller has funds in their account and (2) it takes around 3 weeks to go through all the procedures - plenty of time for the seller to empty their paypal account. I still use ebay and agree with others that it's generally OK if you're smart about it, but be aware that their payment protection isn't as comprehensive as they like to claim.

Good luck!

1 paypal will fund you themself up to 2000 and charged the bill to the seller's bank account, since you need to verified a bank acount or a credit statement to even sell picks online.

2. yes it can take up to 14-21 days to be processed but once you filed a dispute his/her acount will be frozen and they can't do anything but to resolve the dispute first. you'll be surprised how much power ebay has. around june i bought my amp and the pedal didn't work, the guy wouldn't give me a dispute saying it was the shipping companies fault. then ebay froze his account and he has no choice but to wire me the repair fee.
Last edited by kckyle at Oct 1, 2008,
if you get them sent in the mail then its more risky. but if you go and collect the item then its a bit safer
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
I've brought most of my gear off ebay! u just need to know what your buyin. u could go to a guitar shop and try out a guitar there then buy it off ebay...tho this will p*ss them off :P
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by WARLOCK123
if you get them sent in the mail then its more risky. but if you go and collect the item then its a bit safer

that is why there is shipping insurance and tracking number
it just really depends to be honest, it's a combination of being extremely cautious, doing as much homework and research as possible, and some luck too that you don't buy off someone who's a scammer...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i got myself a silver face twin reverb for £280 bargain in my opinion, i even got it the day the auction ended
I bought my guitar, and my amp off eBay. Just make sure you know what you're doing... and that's the only way to be safe.

Or just look, then come and ask us if you're not sure. I know what i'm doing, but i still check w/ UG just to make sure i didn't miss something.
O O

___
Quote by kckyle
1 paypal will fund you themself up to 2000 and charged the bill to the seller's bank account, since you need to verified a bank acount or a credit statement to even sell picks online.

2. yes it can take up to 14-21 days to be processed but once you filed a dispute his/her acount will be frozen and they can't do anything but to resolve the dispute first. you'll be surprised how much power ebay has. around june i bought my amp and the pedal didn't work, the guy wouldn't give me a dispute saying it was the shipping companies fault. then ebay froze his account and he has no choice but to wire me the repair fee.

Not in the UK they don't! I basically got an email from paypal saying 'tough sh*t, we can't get the cash from them, so we're not paying you, case closed'. I think it depends on the level of cover the sellers offer - maybe you get more in the US, but in the UK it seems like the seller can choose to opt into customer protection schemes, but it doesn't appear compulsory. Anyway, my point is that it's just something to look out for & don't rely on it. I got the cash back eventually, but that's only because I found out where the 'seller' lived and took it from there.