So I have a IBM thinkpad that is now about 6 years old. The CD drive is busted and doesn't work, one of the 2 USB ports is broke and shorts the computer out if you plug something into it, and i get a fan error every other time i turn it on (which is rare) and it makes strange noise now.

Now for the issue that just started the other day. The monitor keeps cutting off every once in a while (randomly not really set time). Nothing else on the computer is cutting off just the monitor goes black and i have to wait about a min then i can fn it back on. I am not sure what could be causing this. Does anyone have any thoughts? (fan is on the entire time when this happens so it isn't like it is over heating)

PS: I already googled it with no success.
uve got a pebcak,,,, no but really, it should just be thrown away

my bad, two letters backwards, same meaning, who cares
Last edited by rlgibson3 at Sep 30, 2008,
Probably just wear 'n tear. I've been told that one year for a laptop can be related to 35 human years, and it think you implied that you rarely turn it off, so that definitely cant be good.
its prolly some nerd shit gone wrong....
but in all seriousness it could be anything from motherboard to just everything
If the screen is busted, and it's not a different hardware problem, you can always hook it up to an external monitor. In any event, at this point, it's more cost-efficient to just buy a new computer.
You're*
time to go find a monitor to hook into it now /sigh i really do need a new one but don't want to spend the money
Quote by Opeth_Death
Care to elaborate on how the CD drive is busted?

i think it broke when i was giving a presentation in college and some retarded girl tripped over the cord connecting it to the projector and pulled it off the desk. Not totally sure but i rarely ever used it because if i need something i just get a torrent / mount virtual CD drive.

Basically it just can't read anything, i think something got screwed up with the laser because it sounds like it is spinning the disk fine.
Then that's probably a physical probelem and you cant really do too much besides get it replaced. The fan error, although I'm seriously in doubt of this solution, could just be kinda dusty. I like to give mine a nice clean with some canned air every now and then. Then again, I don't have a laptop. How did one of the USB ports break?
Quote by Opeth_Death
Then that's probably a physical probelem and you cant really do too much besides get it replaced. The fan error, although I'm seriously in doubt of this solution, could just be kinda dusty. I like to give mine a nice clean with some canned air every now and then. Then again, I don't have a laptop. How did one of the USB ports break?

The little plastic spacer to keep the 4 metal wires apart fell out so although u can still plug something into it and have it work most of the time when you try to plug it 2 wires that shouldn't touch hit and it cuts off.
When did this retarded girl you spoke of drop your laptop? I guess it could be connected to the monitor failure if recent, but otherwise, maybe its your motherboard, seeing as you mentioned that nothing else turns off. Or perhaps video card or something. How and what does your computer run?