so im going to buy a computer to record onto, {i already know how, i just need a computer} what do i look for (and im illiterate in computer terms, so youll haffta dumb it down for me), what are some good computers for recording and editing on. and i would like to keep the price below 350$.
For recording, you'll want a minimum spec of:

2GHz dual core processor
2GB RAM

You'll get more for your money with a desktop rather than a laptop.
Quote by blue_strat
For recording, you'll want a minimum spec of:

2GHz dual core processor
2GB RAM

You'll get more for your money with a desktop rather than a laptop.

pretty much
You'll want that, but it's by no means essential. Axemanchris will tell you that lol.
There is poetry in despair.
also,
for recording, a 7200rpm hard drive is needed, the hard drives in laptops and many standard desktops aren't really fast enough for streaming multiple tracks of audio off the disk
$350 will hardly buy you anything, and it'll be enough to record. Make sure to have two sticks of RAM, a decent amount of hard drive space, and enough money to buy an interface or soundcard (the former's preferred).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
You can do that for $350 no problem. You won't get an interface or monitor or anything with that, but you will get the computer.

We did our album - each song upwards to 36 tracks of 24 bit audio with EQ and FX as appropriate on my computer.

Specs:
-1.7 Ghz (not dual-core)
-512 MB RAM
-2x7200 rpm HD
-Win XP

In other words, the cheapest system you'll find at a store anywhere (new) will be more powerful than that, and you can surely pick it up for around $300 or so.

The one caveat is that you'll have to make sure it is set up right.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Dual-core processors aren't the greatest when it comes to music software. If you have a track thats 4:00 long and you record over it for 4 minutes, you might end up somehow recording more or less than 4:00 and it goes out of sync by the end of the recording.
It's happened to me many times and it's really gay, so if you have a dual-core processor computer, make sure you know how to set the affinity of a program to only run on one processor so it won't whack you out of sync.