Hey so I'm pretty much the biggest noob when it comes to pedals. I own a Dunlop crybaby wah and a EHX Metal Muff but i only use them sparingly. But I was flipping through a guitar center catalog and was starting to think hey, my amp is really noisy... maybe i should get something to fix it? so i found the BOSS NS-2 Noise Gate.... what do yall think about it? ans should i use it?

i have EMG 81s on all my guitars (some also have 60s or SAs) so i use actives which are already noisy and a Marshall MG100HDFX with a wireless sometimes that catches alot of feedback

what do u think?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by kckyle
the ns-2 is total crap, bought it, didn't work one bit. now im trying to get my hands on a isp decimator g string.

You obviously didn't know what you were doing. I've used it in rigs that had more gain than anyone could ever even need and with the NS-2 I didn't get a lick of feedback or hum, turn it off and you couldn't hear anything over the feedback!
I have a NS-2, not the best, does what it's supposed to ALITTLE. I've used a ISP, works much better.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You obviously didn't know what you were doing. I've used it in rigs that had more gain than anyone could ever even need and with the NS-2 I didn't get a lick of feedback or hum, turn it off and you couldn't hear anything over the feedback!

hm nope you obviously don't know what your talking about. as soon as i used my other guitarist's g string for the day while he pick up his acoustic all the noise were completely gone.

btw i read the owner's manual NUMEROUS TIMES before returning it. so yeah i do know what i was doing.
Last edited by kckyle at Sep 30, 2008,
hhmmm... the ISP is about $25 more
thats not too bad. how does the knob work on the ISP? like turned to x does what?
(ive never used a noise gate before, all i know is it cuts feedback)

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
ISP is a great pedal.

Anyone saying the NS-2 dosn't work obviously can't manage to tweak a noise suppressor. As said above, I've used one in my setup and it takes out all my feedback. The only complaint I have with it is a little tone loss.
Quote by caraluzzo
ISP is a great pedal.

Anyone saying the NS-2 dosn't work obviously can't manage to tweak a noise suppressor. As said above, I've used one in my setup and it takes out all my feedback. The only complaint I have with it is a little tone loss.

well all i know is that i had the ns 2 plugged into my dual rect in the studio and it didn't do jack. and since there is only two knob you can tweak i doubt i missed anything else. everything was plugged in right. later i plug in the isp g string and ta da! most of the noise if not all were completely gone.
Quote by kckyle
the ns-2 is total crap, bought it, didn't work one bit. now im trying to get my hands on a isp decimator g string.

thats why so many pro guitarist use the ns-2 because it's total crap. get off the isp bandwagon.
I have the NS-2 and it works exactly as I want a noise suppressor to work.

Connecting it in a pedal chain is a bit awkward as there's a lot of cables, but it works fine!

I have a YJM308, which is pretty much the noisiest pedal i've ever heard, and the NS-2 works perfectly - ZERO noise.

The NS-2 cuts a bit of feedback, but one thing it doesn't do is cut any amp noise, which is probably your problem, since MG's are quite terrible...

Perhaps in the effects loop it may cut noise, but I don't know as I neither have much amp noise, nor an effects loop...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Here's a new idea. Save up for a new amp that isn't shit.

You play an ESP LTD: Deluxe EC-1000 through that?
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 1, 2008,
I use a NS-2 through my amps loop to eliminate amp noise and I have a Decimator in front of the amp to prevent feedback.

120 watt high gain tube head and two 4x12 cabinets. Zero noise.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by mmjohn
thats why so many pro guitarist use the ns-2 because it's total crap. get off the isp bandwagon.

yep pretty much.

FYI i had hands on experience with BOTH PEDALS. so how about you get off the ns-2 bandwagon. and i was pretty sure it wasn't my amps. tested it out on both the mesa(not that it needs one) and hughes and kettner. borrowed my bandmate's g string and it was a world of difference.
makes no sense the mesa didn't need one then why use one :stickpoke i'm on no bandwagon. just pointing out if the ns-2 is crap why do so many pro guitarist rely on them??
Quote by kckyle
well all i know is that i had the ns 2 plugged into my dual rect in the studio and it didn't do jack.

Broken NS-2 Imo!

Mine works great, no complaints here. Everyone swears by the iSP Decimator on here, so you can't go wrong with it either.

But ideally you should get a new amp!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
I went with the NS-2 purely because it was a nightmare trying to get hold of an ISP.

I use it infront of a gain-heavy randall 100w and it completely cut out my feedback, i didnt bother putting my wah in the effects loop and still it cut out all the feedback.

From what i've seen the NS-2 cuts tone on a mid-gain setup on an amp that has alot of feedback, thats where the ISP seems to really shine. Other than that i dont think you can really go wrong with either.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
Quote by mmjohn
makes no sense the mesa didn't need one then why use one :stickpoke i'm on no bandwagon. just pointing out if the ns-2 is crap why do so many pro guitarist rely on them??

there was a slight hum when the volume is around 10o'clock position.

thats interesting cause i see a good ratio of people using the isp comparing to the amount of ppl using the ns-2. maybe these who has it doesn't really need a noise suppressor?
uummm im even more lost than before. quit arguing and just help me out here! and im not getting a new amp, i have pretty much zero money and the MG works well enough for me so im not changing

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

It took 12 posts before somebody pointed out that his amp is terrible? I'm losing faith in GGA...

Anywho, I know you don't want to get a new amp but you're amp is terrible and is probably the main reason you have so much noise. You can use a noise gate (I would recommend the ISP, the response time and performance is better IMO) but it's just going to be a band aid on a gigantic wound.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Well, are you sure it's the amp? What about your pickups? Have you actually taken the time to make sure they're grounded properly? Checked your guitar pots for scratchiness or shorts that are being picked up? Are your cables all good? Is the amp properly grounded? Basically....have you ruled everything out that the noise could be solved by a noise suppressor? Also, you should know that there's a point when the gain and volume is turned up that an amp will hiss no matter what. It depends on the amp.....but if you're just being bothered by some minor interference, you really shouldn't bother with a pedal to fix it.

If you're this low on money that putting the money for the pedal is a better idea than putting that money away toward the cost of buying a different amp, you probably should just save the money, in all honesty. Buying the pedal is not going to make a world of difference for you either way.
Quote by thsrayas
It took 12 posts before somebody pointed out that his amp is terrible? I'm losing faith in GGA...

Anywho, I know you don't want to get a new amp but you're amp is terrible and is probably the main reason you have so much noise. You can use a noise gate (I would recommend the ISP, the response time and performance is better IMO) but it's just going to be a band aid on a gigantic wound.

I actually pointed out it sucks in the first post.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
I actually pointed out it sucks in the first post.

I don't know how I missed that. To be fair you didn't say it sucked you just said he was going to get flamed a lot.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by kckyle

Your sig is fitting in this thread

Just kidding man. Personally, I'd go for an ISP Decimator, or a Rocktron Hush.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--