ok. Well in the middle of changing strings,( i have heard of somepeople saying their bridge goes up) my bridge drops down onto the guitar extremely tight, and now i cannot get the rest of the strings out or wammy or anything!!!!
i really greatly would appreciate help!!
Take out a spring or loosen the screws that the springs are attached to. But, if it's a strat bridge, it should be level with the body and you shouldn't be able to pull up on the bar if that's what you mean.
it is a strat- 60th anniversary edition. this is my second time changing strings ever(i dont change um much)
well
it has a wammy bar and the bridge is supposed to move but its locked down
The spring tension in the back might be too high. Try loosening the screws first (not too far!). If that doesn't work, try taking out a spring. Did you change to a lighter string gauge? That sounds like the problem.

EDIT: On the back of the guitar, there is a plastic plate (probably white?) screwed onto the guitar. Unscrew it, that's where the trem system and springs and such are. Make sure you keep the screws and don't lose them.
yes, i changed way down on gauge. my smallest string is a 9(whatever that means)
so the springs visible on the bridge?
or like do i have to unscrew the back?
(talk like your talking to an idiot-you are)
flip the guitar over.
take off that plastic cover that's where the springs are.

if you loosen them the bridge will release, but then you'll have to balance the bridge again after it's all strung up again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
so will i have to do this every time i change gauge?
i think i like this gauge.
also like i should make it steadily floating right?
and like what do the springs on the top of the bridge do.
should i ever adjust those?
there are two screws pointing towards the neck, attached to a metal thing, attached to the bridge thing where you put the strings in. do i loosen those? or just take out a spring?
you can brace the bridge next time so it doesnt dive when you swap strings.
also, you can swap one string at a time.

adjust the springs in total and by adjusting the screws to balance, also, lube the nut and saddle contact points.

and the screws on the top of the brdge, the ones wt the screws at the rear adjust intonation, or tuning along the fretboard.

edit: yes you can loosen those, not let them come out.
and or you can take off a spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sorry for all the repeted posts.
so there were 3 springs, and i removed the middle one, and now the bridge is alot easier to move. when i get the new strings on will the bridge be levetated?
or do i need to loosen the two screws at the top of this little opening in the back of the guitar
with the spring off. the bridge is realsead.

string up and see how the bridge sits.

it'll prob lift.

if it does, detune and put the spring back on, then adjust the screws until the bridge is balanced.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

wait so a strats whammy bar isn't supposed to pull back? my hss does and it stays in tune just fine...
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
no it can pull back i think
so the two screws holding the thing holding the springs- i can loosen those?
you can loosen the trem screws yes.

just dont let them fall out, and dont strip them.

you probably wont need to adjust them too much until you're all strung up and putting the springs back in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62