Page 1 of 2
im sure a few of you have heard of him, well hes my hero...iv been trying to track the man down for months!!! hes a ****in ghost!!! anyway, i collect his guitar techniques columns, so if anyone has any they want to give up pm me

cheers guys
I had lessons with Martin Goulding, who was a pupil of Shaun's - every legato lick I've posted on UG or youtube has either been a mutated Shawn Lane lick or Shaun Baxter lick. Speaking of which, I have this legato etude from some issue of GT ages ago. Watch out for the tempo changes, GP couldn't notate some of the rhythms.
Attachments:
legato etude.zip
If you could tell him Irish Dan from IGF says hi and point him to any of my youtube stuff I'd be seriously chuffed. Tell him I say "Thanks for the legato". Is he still doing all that fantastic close chord voicing stuff he was doing 2 years ago?

The ****er keeps improving. Break some of his fingers to let us catch up.
Bit late of a reply.. but Shaun's teaching me on thursday in a masterclass session at my college, you could track him down then!
Is Shaun Baxter the JazzMetal guy?

edit: This dude's hot shit.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Hell yes he is.

Thx for the Martin vids, what's he working on atm? Last I saw it was moving chord voicings in 2nds through a key and 8 finger tapping on a brand new 7 string.
Dude, how/where the hell do I get my hands on GT magazine?

I'm in Canada, is this a problem?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Jesus f*ck, 118 bucks. Which is like 140 for me.

Is it worth it?

edit: I guess it's not that bad, 10 bucks a magazine.
Quote by TGautier13
Yeah, that's pretty much the price it would be in the shops.

It's a really good magazine for intermediate players but I just don't find more than a line or two in there I didn't already know. That said, if you learnt everything from every magazine every month you'd be ****ing amazing at just about everything.
Hmmm, maybe I'll try a quarterly thing and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.
Quote by TGautier13
hey freepower

martin has the new linear sphere stuff (he played me it wednesday i nearly shat my pants) thats due for release end of the year

hes also planning on releasing his solo album by the end of next year

(im not sure if this is a new thing, or if its the thing he did whilst he was studying with shawn tho...)
Quote by jackblsdaniels
martin has the new linear sphere stuff (he played me it wednesday i nearly shat my pants) thats due for release end of the year

OMGWTFAWESOME!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
^ you know LS/Martin exist? How?

I know of Martin through Guitar Techniques mainly but Linear Sphere I'm not sure...possibly through Anchorhead, the Star Wars based metal project that Charlie from LS is in. There may also be a link through Cynic as well but I honestly don't remember.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I remember Shaun did private lessons in London about five years ago, where is he now? Does he still offer them?
Quote by jackblsdaniels
charlie is no longer affiliated with LS

Meh, not really that bothered anyway; I much preferred MG's solos, I just hope the riffing stays as good without him.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Wow, you guys get to hang out with gods like Goulding, while I'm stuck in Norway with myself.
Ah yes Linear Sphere. Guitar Techniques had a couple of ads in there.

Shaun had such a killer lesson column in there. I read it religiously. When I bought my Boss Br-600 a while ago, he recorded the demo that came with it. Called Lydia or something, why on earth did I delete it?

Oh and ramm_ty, I'm Canadian as well. Try your local Chapters for GT, they usually have them.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Oh and ramm_ty, I'm Canadian as well. Try your local Chapters for GT, they usually have them.
Awww heeeeelllllls yeah. I knew those Chapters gift certificates would be good for something.

Thanks a bunch dude, definitely gonna check that out.
Quote by TGautier13
ok...found something

"Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003
Re: Shaun Baxter’s Tinnitus Problem

Dear Friends and Fans...

I am sad to report that I have been left with tinnitus (ringing in
the ears) as a result of whiplash injuries due to a recent car
accident. During the return journey from a day out at the seaside
with my wife and children, a sports car smashed into the back of us
while we were waiting at a set of traffic lights. There is no known
cure for tinnitus. I am the refore destined to a life without silence:
nagged by he constant fear that my present condition could get worse.
As a musician, I have always taken the utmost care of my hearing (I
even wear earplugs to the cinema, and always when performing). I have
had several hearing tests since the accident (the most recent one was
on my last visit to Charing Cross Hospital on the October 27, 2003)
and my hearing is perfect - this is because my tinnitus is due to my
car accident and not to my profession as a rock guitar player.
Unfortunately, regardless of the initial cause, once you have
tinnitus, it is a condition that is aggravated by things like stress,
tiredness, alcohol, but most of all loud noises (like gigs). Despite
taking every single precaution to ensure that I can continue to
perform without further exacerbating my condition, my tinnitus has
started to become more and more aggravated by live performance. After
the most recent short spate of gigs, my tinnitus has presently assumed
levels that are beyond intolerable and, in the interest of my
long-term health, I can no longer risk increasing my present
condition. It is therefore with deep regret that I am left with no
other option other than to retire from any further public performance
for the foreseeable future. Perhaps, after a couple of years, my
condition will begin to improve, and I will be able to tentatively
take a few steps back towards performing live again. Until then, I
apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused by the few
gigs that have had to be cancelled, but trust that you will all be
sympathetic to the reasons behind this regrettable and unavoidable
decision. It has been an honour to perform for all the thousand of
fans that have come to see the band over the last few years. I will
miss playing with Carl and Dave, and wish them all the luck in the
future. I will treasure the memories of our experience together
forever. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play in front of you all
again someday. Much love and fond regards,

Shaun Baxter xxxx"
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I know of Martin through Guitar Techniques mainly but Linear Sphere I'm not sure...possibly through Anchorhead, the Star Wars based metal project that Charlie from LS is in. There may also be a link through Cynic as well but I honestly don't remember.

Maybe you're the Cynic link is that one of Martin's modern metal columns in Guitar Techniques was about Cynic?

GT is a fantastic magazine, I've bought a few issues of it now and then in the past but I've started buying it monthly (although Australia are 2 months behind, the latest issue is the one with blues Rhythm on the cover). I've been learning pretty much everything in it and it's helped me so much. Shaun Baxter's Creative Rock is awesome, I especially loved his articles about implying ii V I progressions.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Maybe you're the Cynic link is that one of Martin's modern metal columns in Guitar Techniques was about Cynic?

GT is a fantastic magazine, I've bought a few issues of it now and then in the past but I've started buying it monthly (although Australia are 2 months behind, the latest issue is the one with blues Rhythm on the cover). I've been learning pretty much everything in it and it's helped me so much. Shaun Baxter's Creative Rock is awesome, I especially loved his articles about implying ii V I progressions.

they opened for cynic according to their myspace.

oh, and try borders for GT, they seem to be relatively currunt
yeah, linear sphere suported cynic on the reunion show

linear sphere are at the end of the line, the album will be released, there will be no tour

then we can just wait for martins solo disc....something to knock guthrie off the hot property lists top 10!

shauns done some amazing work in GT (i have evry issue from the past 11 years) it is the best mag on the market...end of

and to al you shaun fans

together, we will find him
your right, guthrie is imense, i go to see him weekly at the basement in chelmsford...

baxter on the other hand will rise like a pheonix....chew him up and spit him out along with all the other non believers!
Quote by jackblsdaniels
*Shaun's tinnitus*

Oh my god...that's terrible Oh well, at least we still have the columns to go on with even if we can't see the man himself...

New LS...MG solo album...oh. my. god. That's just awesome.

Quote by jackblsdaniels
i go to see him weekly at the basement in chelmsford...

Really? I go sometimes myself...last time I was there was the one just before New Years and I've got to get down there again and actually have some kind of coherent conversation with Guthrie, I spoke to him then and just fanboy-ed out a bit, lol.

Does anyone have Shaun's "Jazz Metal" album? I was thinking of picking it up but I have no idea if I'd actually like it or not so can anyone shed any light on it at all?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
yes i have it

its incredible, if you get the chance to buy it DO there is NOTHING like it on the market
Page 1 of 2