Yes... another thread...

I'm at the period where I should think about my future, and I have been thinking a lot about pursuing a degree in music, because I feel like sticking with my guitar. I just want to play and write music and I wouldn't mind teaching some kids, but my brother says that I should take it as a minor, and go to something else like accounting that has a lot of jobs and great money. I couldn't care less about the money (well maybe a little), because I just feel like going into music and playing, 'cause the worst thing that can happen is that I end up on the streets...

I feel like going into music, but my brother put fricking doubt onto me. I want to know the definite risks and benefits of getting a music degree.
if it's about money, don't be a musician.

true love conquers all, it's why i'm starving.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
do what you love... and you have a mind of your own.. dont let your brother tell you what you should and shouldnt do...
Was in the same situation as you, except it was my dad discouraging me from doing it. Thought it was pointless. It's your future, you do what you want with it. If you want to do music in college, then by all means do it. If you really are that worried about it, you could always try to double-major in another subject (I'm gonna try to double-major with engineering), or like what you mentioned, you could minor in music with a major in something else. Be creative with it! You have a TON of options. You have to remember though that as long as you are doing what you love and you are happy, money doesn't really matter. At least, that's what I believe.
everyone i know discouraged it..i mean like all my family

but its my love and passion so im going to pursue it...by all means...and i will eventually get where i want to

have a major like music business, and a minor like music theory or whatever...those both help you to your goal
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Quote by kennyvspenny

Its not. I know that I want to play in gigs and stuff like that, but I want to make great music with cool people, which is why I want to study music more in depth.

Quote by LedFloyd77
do what you love... and you have a mind of your own.. dont let your brother tell you what you should and shouldnt do...

I guess I got to "man up" and face him... Oh boy. I'll wait a little while longer...

Quote by JoshXXXXX
If you really are that worried about it, you could always try to double-major in another subject

Moooney is the source of all problems. I don't think I'll have enough cash to double-major, though minoring in Music Business isn't a bad idea at all.

Quote by amazing FretMan
everyone i know discouraged it..i mean like all my family

MMM, my aunt and my uncle are the only ones who encouraged me to pursue a career in music, seeing how I know more theory and technical things than my uncle.

I'm just doubtful of what is going to happen later on... I should probably talk to my music teachers about this, but still, thanks!
Quote by SilverDark
Moooney is the source of all problems. I don't think I'll have enough cash to double-major, though minoring in Music Business isn't a bad idea at all.

there's always financial aid. Depending on the university you go to and your parent's incomes, it's quite possible that the universities, especially the private ones, will pay for practically everything. It's still worth it to apply to those places, you never know if you'll get in or not.
hey TS its not smart to ask other what they think about you having a career as a musician...they will throw in "its impossible dude...blah blah blah you will waste your time and wont make it anyways..."

so just do what YOU want to do..follow YOUR dreams and make it happen
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
I don't know the pros and cons of gettin a degree in music. I followed your brothers advice and made the life that someone else expected of me and guess what - now they're gone and I'm wondering why I did that - fortunately I'm still young enough to make some changes.

You only have one life and to paraphrase Jimi - you're the one that's got to die when it's time for you to die. So live your life the way you want to.

Practical people who don't get that won't ever get that. But they are just as important to the world as those chase their dreams. Respect your brothers choices and ask him to respect yours.
Si
its all up to you. im studying a degree and couldnt be happier. just do what YOU want
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
Keep on thinking about it.

Weigh up the pros and cons.

Think about it more.

Keep thinking about it, it's important, it's your future.

Make sure you know everything there is to know of the results of each career choice so you're not making a misinformed decision.

CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
TS what do you play? if you play anything but guitar we can form a band
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
i know nothing about the music industry so i can't give you any advice there. what i can do is offer you advice about making decisions that may affect your life.

the first thing to consider is that the advice your brother is giving you is a perspective. not an absolute truth. it's not be a musician and starve, or be an accountant and not have a job and die. there are countless ways that a person can live life and countless reasons to do so. the point here I am trying to make is do not let other people intimidate you about the future. it may not even seem like intimidation, but the fact is that using your fears against you. quite simply, is intimidation.

the next point is for you to have a long, long think about what it is you want out of life. yes you want to play music with people and explore music. what makes you think the ONLY way to do that is by studying music (i actually wish i had studied music, i'm just trying to get you to ask yourself questions about it). I know plenty of people who have quite professional day jobs and play music around town quite seriously. furthermore, you have to remember that if you decide to pursue music to make a living you the choice has consequences, much as deciding to be an accountant or a fireman or a policeman or an artist or an entrepreneur, etc, has consequences. you may not be able to afford certain things that your friends (who may be accountants, businessmen, etc) would be able to. there may be days when everything sucks and you feel like your life is on the line. but if you know that you thought through the decision and accepted that this was your chosen path, it wouldn't be a big deal. even if you never succeeded in making a full career out of music, in this case you would know that you chose what was right for you and you will feel fulfilled with the course you are on.

just think about it, like estranged said, and ask yourself questions about what it is you want and what you are willing to sacrifice. make sure you understand how difficult times may be regardless of whether you decide to pursue music or accounting or any other career you might seek.

good luck. i hope you make a good choice for yourself.
If you do the work, you can get a career in music. I spent years teaching after school, practicing hours every night, etc etc. Now, I teach guitar for a living. That's it. Teaching is good money. Everyone in anything larger than a village can find pupils. Anyone can grab a bus or train to the nearest music school and offer to take beginner classes.

As goes the whole "career musician" thing, I always wanted to teach, that was never really my bag. But I can offer encouragement.

Oh, and Jimmy Page said that every musician he knew who stuck by their guns ended up a professional musician in the end.
I'm gonna get a degree in graphic design, it's much easier to get a job doing that, and I love art anyways, not as much as guitar but oh well. After I save up some money I might take a few courses for music for fun, and mostly to become a better musician. Have a backup plan.

At this college career fair, the dude who did the graphic design presentation was a drummer for a metal band.
Quote by JoshXXXXX
there's always financial aid. Depending on the university you go to and your parent's incomes, it's quite possible that the universities, especially the private ones, will pay for practically everything. It's still worth it to apply to those places, you never know if you'll get in or not.

I is very poor, so I can get a lot of financial aid, and I actually made it a firm decision to go to a private university, what with my grades and all .

Quote by Myung-trucci
So you're trusting the advice of people that dont have a clue about the music industry? Great job.

If you're talking about my brother, I never asked him, I told him I wanted to Major in Composition.
If you're talking about asking here, there should be some people who know about it.

Quote by 20Tigers
Practical people who don't get that won't ever get that. But they are just as important to the world as those chase their dreams. Respect your brothers choices and ask him to respect yours.

I guess the problem here is cutting the umbilical cord . If I ever get accepted to the college I want to go to, I guess I can saw it off if I can cover the entire education.

Quote by estranged_g_n_r
CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.

Mortal Kombat reference. That's it.

Quote by amazing FretMan
TS what do you play? if you play anything but guitar we can form a band

I doodle on piano a little, but it's the guitar for me!

Quote by sisuphi
yes you want to play music with people and explore music. what makes you think the ONLY way to do that is by studying music

Yeah, I also got to practice, play with other people, work a little, meet other people, withstand bullshit every now and then... It seems ok.

Quote by sisuphi
you may not be able to afford certain things that your friends (who may be accountants, businessmen, etc) would be able to. there may be days when everything sucks and you feel like your life is on the line. but if you know that you thought through the decision and accepted that this was your chosen path, it wouldn't be a big deal. even if you never succeeded in making a full career out of music, in this case you would know that you chose what was right for you and you will feel fulfilled with the course you are on.

Actually, owning a computer feels like a hassle. If I can just get a place to sleep and have a full stomach while having my guitar on my side, I can be okay. I don't want to make it out as a "rockstar" (It's pretty stupid, you can't do shit), but I just want to spend time just playing (not all my time, there should be other things). Hell, I'm starting to NOT do my homework because of guitar! The only reason I still am in school is because of the music program offered there.

Quote by Freepower
If you do the work, you can get a career in music. I spent years teaching after school, practicing hours every night, etc etc. Now, I teach guitar for a living. That's it. Teaching is good money.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind teaching, even though I am a horrible teacher , but I don't mind even learning how to teach music. All I want to do is to play music.

Why? Money is important. Wondering if one can actually make a living through music is a valid concern.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why? Money is important. Wondering if one can actually make a living through music is a valid concern.

Apparently getting paid for doing something you love is a bad thing amongst musicians, it's 'selling out' as I hear tell
Quote by Retro Rocker
Apparently getting paid for doing something you love is a bad thing amongst musicians, it's 'selling out' as I hear tell

+1, it makes me laugh when people say that. What's wrong with making money doing something you enjoy.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Quote by Archeo Avis

And he's telling him that as far as that concern goes, being a musician isn't the best option.

Must you needlessly complicate this again?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^ well, pointing out that money is a valid concern is different to saying that being a musician isn't the best option. You can make plenty of money teaching. I know that my boss teaches places where with qualifications you can make 50 or more euro an hour. That's not bad by almost any standards. For a wedding gig you can make more than 300 euro each in a four piece, no problem. Do one a week if you can get em and that's rent and food covered for one person (yourself) and you can still do your own gigs for fun, etc.

Point is, you can definately make enough money from music - indeed, my boss has never had a "real job", and keeps a family of 6 cared for. Always paid his way teaching and gigging.

Making the commitment to study music further and/or to try and make a career out of it is very scary, but as in everything else in life, you get out what you put in.

^^ this. the exact same path i am taking, but i teach while studying. its definatly possible. and if you really want it to be possibility then work hard at it.
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
If you live in a small house and love practicing the guitar you don't need a bigger one. And if you don't care about the biggest car in the world you have money to buy guitars.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.