Page 1 of 2
Im getting ready to buy a new guitar.. This will be my second guitar and I have just enough for a american strat. since its just my second guitar should i go with something cheaper (maybe a MIM), and have some extra money left for xmas presents? im thinking as a second guitar its maybe not the best idea to buy a $1000 guitar. what would you do?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
a cheaper strat wouldnt be bad idea just upgrade the pickups and maybe tuners and your good.
been playing a year and a half. thats the thing i feel like you gotta earn these guitars and i definatly dont deserve it, on the other hand ill have it all my life and its top of the line.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
been playing a year and a half. thats the thing i feel like you gotta earn these guitars and i definatly dont deserve it, on the other hand ill have it all my life and its top of the line.

I was in the same boat as you a while back. I thought that I certainly didn't deserve an American Strat because I had only been playing for two years, and I don't regret the decision to buy it at all. I love it and it was such an upgrade over my Ibanez starter pack which was a present. It wasn't a horrible guitar, but anytime I see someone in a store looking at a starter pack I try my best to convince them not to do it.
get the MIM. it is just as good as long as you get to play the one you buy. The americans have a better quality control so they are more similar. In all reality, there are some MIMs that are better than americans. i own one. trust me the extra half grand isnt neccesary for a second guitar
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
DigitechRP250Multi-effect
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
JimDunlupXtraHeavyPicks\m/
\m/=my live setup
Quote by JacksonShred13
In all reality, there are some MIMs that are better than americans. i own one. trust me the extra half grand isnt neccesary for a second guitar

This is total BS.

The mexican models have much lower grade wood, cheaper electronics, cheaper hardware and are not as good.

Now that being said, I'm not a big fan of the newer American models because of the satin neck and the profile but those things are preference. The Mexican models are lower quality.
^I picked a Classic 60's MIM strat over the AM standards. I'm not saying that americans are bad, as the Deluxes blew me away. But some of the MIMs were fantastic.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
I've heard the 90's MIM are great quality.

MY 07 MIM HSS is fantastic, it stays in tune extremely well after some home tweaking and it has pretty good PUPs. Im just gonna put a SD jb in the bridge at some stage. But that i'll be after getting a valve amp.

But theres nothing wrong with a MIM but on that note theres nothing wrong with a MIA. I'd get a Deluxe next time if my strat somehow manages to become unplayable.
a MIM will last you forever, and you can upgrade it like crazy to get that perfect tone, and it's more fun to upgrade a guitar and make it alot more you.

I have a 97 MIM, and it's been through hell in back, in fact..2 shows ago it fell down...TWICE! off my strap! but it's okay still. it's beat up and I love it all the same.

Just go to the store and play a few different kinds, because there's a lot of inbetween strats you can look at rather than either a standard or an american.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I must say that my American Strat is amazing, but I'd play a MIM too, because it's really nice as well.

I used to think I didn't really deserve my MIA Strat or Traynor, but whatever; it's my money and I can buy what I want - it gives me that extra boost to keep wanting to improve. I used to get discouraged a lot when I had my Spider II.
Quote by PhantomLord666
i'd get either a esp horizon or a jackson soloist.. fender sucks

I don't want to start anything... but Fender's pretty good. Better for the music he plays, in this case.
Quote by PhantomLord666
i'd get either a esp horizon or a jackson soloist.. fender sucks

Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
The thing with the MIMs and the MIAs is that due to weird QC, some MIMs can be better than MIAs. It really all comes down to which guitar you personally like the feel of, regardless of price.

I guess it depends on if the Mexicans were eating their burritos while making it or not.
a MIA strat was my second. And besides the 2008 lineup has been revamped so its an even bigger improvement over the MIM.
Quote by SenorSmiley
This is total BS.

The mexican models have much lower grade wood, cheaper electronics, cheaper hardware and are not as good.

Now that being said, I'm not a big fan of the newer American models because of the satin neck and the profile but those things are preference. The Mexican models are lower quality.

nothing is impossible dude.

Fender Artist Series Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Artist-Series-Jimmie-Vaughan-Tex-Mex-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-510057-i1146257.gc

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-515525-i1371268.gc

Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--50s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-510136-i1146298.gc

last time i checked they played and sounded better then the american standards
i was planning to upgrade regardless of which i get, but if i get the MIA itll take longer to upgrade due to lack of funds . I wanted to swap pickups, either the fender hot noiseless or texas specials, a LSR roller nut and Deluxe Fender/Schaller locking tuners (like on the jeff beck sig).
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
dude, if you want texas speical and what not. look into japanese reissued models. mine plays and feel so much better then most american models and it cost me 2/3 of the price of a american
If the Squier name on the headstock does not bother you, the Classic Vibe strats are a gem. I've played one on the weekend and it was outstanding. Dare I say it but I feel they play better than MIMs that I have come across.
I would go with MIJ over MIM but that is just my opinion.

As for not deserving an American, I truly believe that if you put in the hard work and truly love the hobby that much, then buy what you want whether you have 6 months of playing or 6 years of playing under your belt. Another thing to look at is that MIA tend to hold their value so if you decide to sell 10 years down the line you'll get close to what you paid.
Guitars depend on how you make them sound and how your amp makes them sound.

That Classic 50s Model is sooooo good. Seafoam Green with maple, id kill for that right now.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Last edited by Useful_Idiot16 at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Guitars depend on how you make them sound and how your amp makes them sound.

That Classic 50s Model is sooooo good. Seafoam Green with maple, id kill for that right now.

Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...136-i1146298.gc
that?

yeah thats the reason why i bought a 57 reissued
Quote by silly hats
I've heard the 90's MIM are great quality.

I got a MIM in 1995. It's made from surplus MIA body and neck with a bit cheaper hardware. After I setup it up to my liking, it plays better than most strats I pick up in the store. The only strat I can remember feeling much better in the store was the SRV strat. If you play a MIM in the store that feels good to you, I see no reason not to buy it.

Also, this is the only guitar I've owned. My only wish was that it had 24 frets and (after 13 years) I'm going to put a humbucker in the bridge slot.
Quote by HighPotency
I guess it depends on if the Mexicans were eating their burritos while making it or not.

Refried bean inlay on the fretboard.

But seriously, MIM Strats are made well for the money.
ya I was in the same boat as you too but I chose to get the MIM Strat and switch out the humbucker for a SD Distortion and it sounds great. Plus with the extra cash you can buy a better amp or customize the way you like.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by shpangler
ya I was in the same boat as you too but I chose to get the MIM Strat and switch out the humbucker for a SD Distortion and it sounds great. Plus with the extra cash you can buy a better amp or customize the way you like.

Provided you actually have "extra" cash.
I was in the exact same situation as you are now, earlier this summer... Been playing for 1 year and a half and looking for a strat, having 'just' the money for an American.

I tried some MIM strats, as I was trying to save some money...

I tried the Standard, which I didn't like very much. Lots of people say that if you play lots of MIM standards, you'll end up finding a great one. Not my case.
Also tried the Classic Series... Nice guitars, OK tone, not a great feel. The Classic Player Strats are much better. In my opinion, if you go MIM, go with a Classic Player Strat. They are Custom Shop designed and have lots of cool features, such as Custom Shop pickups, 2 point bridges, medium Jumbo frets, aged pickup covers and so on...

But after that I tried some American Standards. Oh boy. I would never forgive myself if I had bought a MIM after trying the MIA Strat. What a wonderful guitar. Because I spent all of my budget, I won't get a new amp until Christmas or my birthday, but I don't regret it at all. I think the guitar was worth every dollar...

I really noticed a great difference between the MIM and the MIA... specially the feel of the guitar. The MIA felt so much better. The fretwork is perfect, the neck is the best I've ever played on. The pickups aren't bad at all: the cleans are great (Fender great) and they can handle a lot of distortion without sounding bad or making too much noise.

I really recommend that you get the MIA Standard, if you have the money. I think you really won't regret it... I know I didn't.

Choose wisely!
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
thanks guys thats some really good advice. I think im going with the MIA beacause of the extra quality.. and the resale value just incase for down the road. I know you gotta try alot of guitars to find the right one and that color shouldnt be a major concern, but what if the shop only has one white and its not feeling right? id feel like a dick getting em 2 order another in and then trying to haggle em.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
thanks guys thats some really good advice. I think im going with the MIA beacause of the extra quality.. and the resale value just incase for down the road. I know you gotta try alot of guitars to find the right one and that color shouldnt be a major concern, but what if the shop only has one white and its not feeling right? id feel like a dick getting em 2 order another in and then trying to haggle em.

Where do you live in Canada. I can maybe give you some advice on where to go where they have a bigger selection.

Also, IMO, the MIA's aren't as hit or miss as the MIM. I would haggle for a price before even placing an order.
Quote by metaxis
Where do you live in Canada. I can maybe give you some advice on where to go where they have a bigger selection.

Also, IMO, the MIA's aren't as hit or miss as the MIM. I would haggle for a price before even placing an order.

hey, kinda hijacking the thread... but i live in toronto.. and i play left handed guitar.. and i'm about to buy a strat MIM: SSS tomorrow, as they supposedly they don't make HSS on left handed.. I went to long and mcquade on bloor and ossington yesterday to check out some of the strats but they only had a couple of them..

the question is the place said they don't make the MIM strat in redwood, but i saw some online stores that have it in left handed.. do you know any other bigger guitar stores that might have more left handed selections?

Thanks
Quote by wonderboy87
hey, kinda hijacking the thread... but i live in toronto.. and i play left handed guitar.. and i'm about to buy a strat MIM: SSS tomorrow, as they supposedly they don't make HSS on left handed.. I went to long and mcquade on bloor and ossington yesterday to check out some of the strats but they only had a couple of them..

the question is the place said they don't make the MIM strat in redwood, but i saw some online stores that have it in left handed.. do you know any other bigger guitar stores that might have more left handed selections?

Thanks

Sorry dude, completely missed this post.

Steve's
415 Queen St. W.
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 2A5
Tel: 416-593-8888
Fax: 416-591-6735

They can pretty much order you anything you want. Also call LAMUSIC.CA I believe they are in Mississauga but not sure if they sell Fender
I fine that the higher end MIMs are, well, better quality aswell, considering they have quite a lot of American things in them, like the pots and pickups.

I'd get one of them, if you want a 50s/60s looking one.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Have you considered the G&L legacy/tribute legacy? Supposedly they are made better than the Fender strats...my friend is getting one, before he seemed set on the standard strat but now he says the G&L tribute legacy is alot better. Any thoughts?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Page 1 of 2