Hey, i don't play acoustic guitar so i don't know if this guitar is an acoustic or classic (i personnaly think for a classic one).

How did you recognise it?

Thanks
That would be a steel string guitar my friend.

*edit*

-Most if not all classical guitars won't have a pick guard.

-I know quite a few classicals (not sure if i'd venture to say most cause I haven't seen many but my own) have the 12 fret at where the neck meets the body.

-The neck would be wider
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Sep 30, 2008,
Classic and acoustic are both acoustic. The main difference is the strings. Nylon= Classical. Steel= Steel string.
The strings are steel, so it's steel string.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Classic and acoustic are both acoustic. The main difference is the strings. Nylon= Classical. Steel= Steel string.

Thanks that exaclty what i was thinking... But how did you know if a guitar is an acoustic or classic without string?
steel string man. It has a steel string bridge, pickguard, dreadnaught body shape, oh and steel strings too.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by MangeuDePoutine
Thanks that exaclty what i was thinking... But how did you know if a guitar is an acoustic or classic without string?

refer to my edited post.
Quote by MangeuDePoutine

Look at the bridge. A classical guitar needs to have it's stings tied to the bridge. A steel string usually goes into the body.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Maiden88
acoustic it has 14 fret in its neck b4 body of the guitar

Not necessarily. There are some steel strings with 12 before the body as well.
Equipment:

the neck is also really wide.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Yes, but acoustic guitars can have slotted headstocks too.
Equipment:

Dead givaways for classicals are:
1) Nylon strings
2) Wide neck
3) Strings tied off at bridge
4) Lack of a truss rod adjusting point(either inside the body or at the headstock) although the guitar may(or may not) have a truss rod installed

Steel string acoustic:
1) Steel strings
2) Narrow neck closely resembling that of an electric
3) Strings held in via pegs at the bridge
4) Adjustable truss rod(either inside of the body or at the headstock)

The above are THE MOST COMMON characteristics of both guitars. Keep in mind that different mfr's may use some of the same ideas, making these characteristics cross over. For the majority of guitars talked about on this site, the above will work perfectly.

Body styles are quite close from a classical to folk type acoustic, so it's best not to use that as a guide. They are however drastically different between a dreadnaught or a jumbo to a classical. Another smallish body acoustic would be the parlour size, which is shaped like the dread, but much smaller, and can be mistaken for a classical for those not in the know.