I tried posting this in the Riffs and Recordings section, but i only got a few responses. Naturally, I turned to the Pit next.
So I'm looking to be able to hear vocals at the same volume as the rest of the instruments during band practice. I've tried doing a microphone>mixer>guitar amp type setup, but everytime I do that once I get it to an audible level, all I get is this ear-splitting squeal. Does anyone else get this problem? Can I do anything to fix it with my current equipment, inclusive of microphones, several guitar/bass amps, a mixer, several XLR (as I believe they're called) cables, and a couple XLR/1/4" cables? Thanks
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Quote by marshmellow666
play at a lower volume... maybe

no.
And if the Devil is 6,

what you really need, to the best of my knowledge, is a powered mixer and speakers. Which = PA system. but using your current gear, you need to put the mic as far away from the amp (vox) as possible and turn it facing away from the speaker. If that doesn't work you're screwed.
Quote by wyantsm
what you really need, to the best of my knowledge, is a powered mixer and speakers. Which = PA system. but using your current gear, you need to put the mic as far away from the amp (vox) as possible and turn it facing away from the speaker. If that doesn't work you're screwed.

This.
Or, sing louder. It may be your voice.
I had that trouble before.
The volume in your head isnt always what you think it is.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Seth Shadows
This.
Or, sing louder. It may be your voice.
I had that trouble before.
The volume in your head isnt always what you think it is.

but like, what happens when for a period of time there are no vocals whatsoever? i'm looking to eliminate the squeal, as well as to hear the vocals...
And if the Devil is 6,

Quote by theking182
but like, what happens when for a period of time there are no vocals whatsoever? i'm looking to eliminate the squeal, as well as to hear the vocals...

The.. Squeal?...
Get a better mic and a noise compressor
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by wyantsm

yeah just get away from the amp, that's what i do.
Quote by Seth Shadows
The.. Squeal?...
Get a better mic and a noise compressor

don't laugh at me!
i don't think I'll be able to purchase either of those any time soon, but i think i'll go with what the majority of people are saying and just get the hell away from my amp. wish me luck!
And if the Devil is 6,

The squeal you're getting is most likely a feedback loop. First you can try fixing with the EQ on the mixer- there may be a problem frequency that you can turn down without effecting the overall volume. Second, make sure the speaker isnt facing toward the microphone- or use a microphone with good rear-end rejection like a Shure SM58
Quote by theking182
don't laugh at me!
i don't think I'll be able to purchase either of those any time soon, but i think i'll go with what the majority of people are saying and just get the hell away from my amp. wish me luck!

That works too.
You should save up for a few pedals, I myself have a seperate pedal board for vocals and guitar.
Noise compressor, Treble pedal, Chorus pedal, Whammy pedal, Octave pedal, Another noise compressor, Distortion, Bass, Screamer Overdrive, volume, EQ and grunge.

It works.
Quote by Cobain_is_king