I was wondering if you could use a guitar effects pedal, NOT a bass guitar effect pedal, just a guitar effect pedal.. for a bass. Never tried it before, and i don't know what the sound will be like.
which one? you can with any, but about half of them sound bad.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^you are being generous Humanity.

There have been tonnes of threads on this so I would advise using the search bar. Many guitar effects will kill the low end with a few exceptions.
true that. some sound ok, but for the most part they can't handle the lower frequencies.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Depends on the effect. Guitar distortion kills the low end and is usually uncommon. The biggest exception would be a Russian Metal Muff pedal, for some reason that get a nice lead bass solo tone. I use a guitar EQ pedal to make my bass sound more "AHHH" and I add distortion to get a good bass solo tone. I've tried the Russian Muff and I think it's ok but I prefer the Boss ODB-3, it's gets the same fuzzy sound and it doesn't kill the low end if I ever want to sound like Motorhead.

Effects like chorus, reverb, delay aren't really guitar/bass specific. To get a BASS sound you need a bass EQ, distortion, compressor but I like to be creative so I don't always follow that.
Last edited by pwrmax at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by pwrmax
The biggest exception would be a Russian Metal Muff pedal, for some reason that get a nice lead bass solo tone.

it's only an exception in usage by bassists. the thing kills a lot of your low end. maybe less than some guitar distortions, but still, it does
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I don't believe timing effects (i.e delays, flangers, phasers, etc.) would cause any problems with cutting out low end frequincies, but wah/distortion pedals that are made for guitars will make low end frequincies almost non existant
Quote by Spenny
I don't believe timing effects (i.e delays, flangers, phasers, etc.) would cause any problems with cutting out low end frequincies, but wah/distortion pedals that are made for guitars will make low end frequincies almost non existant

thats true
Quote by kugelspot
it's only an exception in usage by bassists. the thing kills a lot of your low end. maybe less than some guitar distortions, but still, it does

The Metal Muff isn't about getting a dirty bass sound, it's for getting a nice sustaining tone for bass solos that cuts through the mix real well.
oh wait, russian metal muff? I thought you said russian big muff. I didn't even know they made a russian metal muff. I don't actually know of any bassists using a metal muff (russian or american). that's not to say it won't work, I've just never heard of it.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
oh wait, russian metal muff? I thought you said russian big muff. I didn't even know they made a russian metal muff. I don't actually know of any bassists using a metal muff (russian or american). that's not to say it won't work, I've just never heard of it.

My bad, I meant Big Muff.
OK, I understand what you mean now. of course their great for solos, just not much else in a band setting
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Spenny
I don't believe timing effects (i.e delays, flangers, phasers, etc.) would cause any problems with cutting out low end frequencies, but wah/distortion pedals that are made for guitars will make low end frequencies almost non existant

Yes, this is pretty true. However, there are still bass versions of these pedals, even a few delay and reverb pedals. And it is usually suggestible to get the bass versions, since they are designed to capture the bass frequency in a way that sounds best with bass.

Of course, if you can get a good sound out of a guitar pedal, then you can get a good sound out of a guitar pedal.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Yes, this is pretty true. However, there are still bass versions of these pedals, even a few delay and reverb pedals. And it is usually suggestible to get the bass versions, since they are designed to capture the bass frequency in a way that sounds best with bass.

Of course, if you can get a good sound out of a guitar pedal, then you can get a good sound out of a guitar pedal.

I have recently found out about a company called Barge Concepts who do a blender pedal for a very good price. If you are serious about your effects rig, want to use guitar effects or otherwise want a clean signal under effects, I would recommend taking a look.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1