Im new to tube amps, i recently bought a peavy valve king 212 100 watt tube combo, and im unsure of what impedance i should use, there are 3 available 4,8, and 16. I cant seem to find the factory settings? I read from the peavy website that the speakers are 16 ohms each, so im not really sure what to do?

bottom line? what impedance should i use 8 or 16? confused any help would be greatly appreciated

thnx!
If the speakers are wired parallel, you'd want to use 4 or 8 ohms.

Also, dig the screen name. Electric Wizard is teh
I would have to go find my manual but I believe the ohm settings on the 212 (like the 100 head) are for the cab out options only. Unless you plan to hook this up to a seperate speaker cab - i don't think you need to worry about it. I would set it at 16 for now anyway.

You can also ask in the Valveking thread as there are some 212 owners in there and IbanezPsycho is pretty good with this stuff. That link is in my sig.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 1, 2008,
Gooley is right, use 8 ohms.

Two speaker inputs are in parallel.

If I were you, I'd take a multimeter and measure the impedance of the speakers yourself first though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would have to go find my manual but I believe the ohm settings on the 212 (like the 100 head) are for the cab out options only. Unless you plan to hook this up to a seperate speaker cab - i don't think you need to worry it. I would set it at 16 for now anyway.

You also ask in the Valveking thread as there are some 212 owners in there and IbanezPsycho is pretty good with this stuff. That link is in my sig.

2 sixteen ohm speakers in parallel is 8 ohms. running a 16 ohm amp into a 8 ohm cab (or any resistor) = bad.

If it's wired series, it'd be 32 ohms.

Either way, 4 or 8 ohms is safe.
Awsome thnx dude u haev put my mind at ease! i think 8 ohms is right, i just wanted some others imput on it! thnx alot!
Now that I've helped you, how bout some clipz?

Funeropolis riff?
so if i want to ad a 4x12 8 ohm cabinet and still use my 2x12 in the valve king i would set it down to 4 ohms right?
^The myspace says invalid id.

Also: I don't know how the VK is set up, but if it has 2 outputs, set them to match or be under the cab impedance.
Ok you fixed the link.

That's a great tone, dude. I always though the VK had a good stoner-doom tone to it.

If you ever have a show in Nor Cal, let me know.
i know sry i forgot the 420 at the end of stonehelm i edited it it will work now, yes the VK has two outputs on the back just like a normal head, I want to use a 4x12 8 ohm cab with the VK and its 2x12 for a total of 6 speakers so if the 2x12 and the 4x12 are both 8 ohms i should set the head at 4?

p.s heard the new wizard album yet? it F***en Heavy dude!
When did Wizard release a new album? must get.

Also: I don't know if the impedance selector changes the impedance for both outputs. On my V33H, which doesn't have an impedance selector, both speaker outputs are 8 ohms, all the time.

Some amps have different values for different outputs, like the Epiphone Blues Custom.

If the impedance selector sets the impedance for both outputs, and the cabs are 8 ohms, 4 ohms would work.

Hell, I'd do it just to be safe.
So.....

imgooley and al112987 are smarter than I when it comes to this so take there lead but I'll throw this out anyway. Heavy stuff thar dopethrone :cheers

This is right out of the manual. Also, I didn't realize at first you were wanting to cab out. The speakers should be 8 ohm each so wouldn't 16 ohms be the correct selection? I have a 112 so maybe you can check to see if it's printed on the speaker itself.

-----------------owners manual:
This three position switch allows appropriate selection of the speaker cabinet impedance. If two enclosures of equal impedance are used, the switch should be set to half the individual value. For example, two 16 ohm enclosures necessitate a 8 ohm setting, while two 8 ohm enclosures would require a 4 ohm setting. Minimum speaker impedance is 4 ohm.---------------------

So...if you have two 8 ohm speakers now in your 212 and that equals 16, then a 8 ohm cab would work but you won't get the optimal performance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I just now saw that someone in the Peavey.com forums answered your question similarly. Also, please post your clips in the The Valveking Discussion Thread and your profile too if you can. I've been battling the VK hate for some time now and we could surely use your contributions.
dont make too big a fuss out of it. Mismatched impendances are really not a big problem at all. In fact many tube amps with less common power tube types have them wrong 4 or 5 times from what they should be.

The bigger issue is really the sound, which is what you should judge it by.
Quote by 1337void
dont make too big a fuss out of it. Mismatched impendances are really not a big problem at all. In fact many tube amps with less common power tube types have them wrong 4 or 5 times from what they should be.

The bigger issue is really the sound, which is what you should judge it by.

Small mismatches are generally ok. Some transformers handle them better than others. But big mismatches are a no no, unless you like having your amp blow up.

Best advice is to just match impedance.
Quote by al112987

Best advice is to just match impedance.

Or to run it lower than the speaker load.
alright i knos this is a different topic haha but its the closest thing i could find to a peavy 212 valve king thread, my question is are there any tubes or things i can do with this amp to make it more for metal, i.e metallica, megadeth, anthrax that sorta thing????
Check the Valveking thread, there is a lot to do.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??