So I've had this drum kit for a little over 2 years now, and it's been great and everything but there's one thing about it that's always bothered me. I've noticed it after about a year of playing but I just figured I'd adapt to it. The snare on my drum kit seems like it's too high compared to other drum kits I've played in stores...here are some pictures of my kit:

So what do you guys think? I don't think my chair is too low because from what I remember, the drum thrones in the store were actually LOWER than the chair I'm using now...so does anyone know the problem??
yes, that is too high for a snare. it should be lower than the toms, and you have it about even with them. just try adjusting the stand, should be no problem.

but if you're comfortable with it (as you must be after playing it for 2 years), then you shouldn't worry about it, as long as you're used to it and you like it. if you actually have a problem with it, then yeah, go ahead and adjust it.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Yeah. Your snare is hella high. I've always kept my snare below my high-hat, at least. In some sort of proportion with the high tom in order to make rolls easier.

Can't you just lower the stand?
Quote by theking182
yes, that is too high for a snare. it should be lower than the toms, and you have it about even with them. just try adjusting the stand, should be no problem.

that's the thing, it doesn't go any lower. I've messed around with it a lot, and this is the lowest I can get it to go...
There should be an adjustment key at the apex of the tripod of the stand. It HAS to be able to go down lower, I have never seen a snare stand that high.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
that's the thing, it doesn't go any lower. I've messed around with it a lot, and this is the lowest I can get it to go...

from the picture, it looks like you can lower the tripod a little bit. you know, the lowest part of it. the part...that connects it to the floor.....you get what i'm sayin...
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
That's definitely too high, if you can't lower it by a new stand
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
if you really can't lower it get a new stand
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by Seryaph
There should be an adjustment key at the apex of the tripod of the stand. It HAS to be able to go down lower, I have never seen a snare stand that high.

Hmm...I'll go try that out right now and get back to you guys

thanks for the help so far

and just for reference, here's the drum kit on musiciansfriend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-EZ-5Piece-Drum-Set-with-Cymbals?sku=445144

EDIT: I've tried to lower it a lot, but then again I don't know anyone who play drums so I don't have anyone to help me with it and maybe I'm just being an idiot. The picture on musiciansfriend of th kit also shows the snare really low, like a standard drum kit. I'm going to go try to lower it some more right now.
well in that picture the snare looks fine, so it must be adjustable
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
That might be a stand for a drumline- i.e. for someone that's standing. Maybe you could just buy another stand?
yes, the snare is too high. Have you ever looked at any other snare drum stands? If so, does this one have any differences (besides the apparent inability to be lower than a high hat ^.^)? Also, you appear to have the snare way far too the left, which pushes the high hat over... etc. Once you get it lowered, try getting the snare between your legs when you are facing your bass drum. Might be awkward, but that's how most drummers position their snare.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
yes, the snare is too high. Have you ever looked at any other snare drum stands? If so, does this one have any differences (besides the apparent inability to be lower than a high hat ^.^)? Also, you appear to have the snare way far too the left, which pushes the high hat over... etc. Once you get it lowered, try getting the snare between your legs when you are facing your bass drum. Might be awkward, but that's how most drummers position their snare.

I've always thought that maybe I just didn't know how to set up the stand right...never really thought it might be the incorrect kind of stand, but now I kind of am wondering if this is the correct stand or not. I just tried to lower it with no luck. I got some better pictures of just the snare drum and the stand:

Maybe the manufacturer made a mistake and gave me the wrong kind of stand?

And to whoever asked what guitar that was in the background, nice eye haha. I didn't see that back there. It's just my old squier strat.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the hi-hat doesn't even work (the pedal for it). I think they forgot a piece or something. I still hit the pedal and the hi-hat makes a small sound but it doesn't open and close, so I just practice with it that way. Hopefully when I get a working hi-hat the skills will still transfer over.
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Sep 30, 2008,
The head on your bass drum needs some serious adjustment. It is supposed to be completely taut.

And so nothing happened when you tweaked the adjustment key where the 3 legs of the stand meet? If it didn't then you probably need a new stand.
I'm almost sure that I have the wrong kind of stand now

This youtube video shows the legs of a snare stand and they are MUCH shorter than the one I have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7PUfmxnbv8

And I'm thinking of just getting rid of this drum kit and just getting a pearl export on craigslist. What do you guys think? i don't want to buy a new snare stand since I'm thinking of buying a new kit, which will most likely come with good snare stand anyways.

Quote by slap-a-bass
get a new snare stand..make it a hell lot lower..buy yourself a proper throne..you're lucky this isnt a drum forum people would ban you

So I'm assuming you're saying that the snare stand they gave me isn't the right kind?
Yeah new stand, either that or you could just make everything else super high, haha. New kits don't always necessarily come with new stand, if thats what your looking for make sure of it before you buy it.
alright thanks for tip callicut

So do you guys think buying a pearl export would be a good and worth it for me? Or should I just save my money and buy a new snare stand, drum throne, and new heads (remo pinstripes) for my current kit? (If you look closely, you can see that they are really battered)