m'kay, this may seem like a waste of a thread, even an illegal thread, but i'm willing to take the risk out of my own frustration.

i have this 'friend', whom says that ANYONE can sing (yes i've quoted him and no i'm not mentioning his name) and he's now failing extra saying he has a four octave voice. it seems that i, or any other people in this group for that matter, cant explain that singing is not something that everyone can do and it's not like learning an instrument, you either can sing or you can't. maybe he does have a four octave voice, but he's 14 so it's unlikely imo. can anybody please explain why he is wrong? or if i'm wrong, feel free to say so. again, sorry for the wasted thread, but this is just getting ridiculous
Anyone can sing. You CAN learn how to. It takes time and practice.

/thread
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
A singing voice is attained by training the vocal chords. However, in the common circumstance that a person is not born with an eardrum that can detect various subtle pitch differences, they will never be as good of a singer as a person who can.

Normally, people cannot sing 4 octaves without difficulty. There are outliers, of course, and people who train their voice could probably do it fairly easily.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by RockGuitar92

/thread

Indeed.

/thread
Make him prove it?
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by RockGuitar92

/thread

Dis.

Everybody can sing since we all do different pitches. If someone would talk in only 1 tone, that person could not speak. But the only guy that is affected by that is that super inteligent guy on a wheelchair and a super f*cking pc.

The thing is : Not everyone can sound great. You have to practice your voice and your tone controlling.

And anyway
so...everybody CAN sing, but can everybody sing WELL? that's what he was saying, sorry if i didn't illustrate this point earlier.
Quote by RockGuitar92

/thread

An excellent first reply.

There are some people that have a good singing voice, but even if they are born with it, they can't use it to potential unless they train it.
Quote by dio_dude
so...everybody CAN sing, but can everybody sing WELL? that's what he was saying, sorry if i didn't illustrate this point earlier.

Read my first post again. Make sure to read my last sentence.

EDIT: It means you can with time and practice. Some people's voices are more pleasant though. Always remember that.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
People can sing. Training them to do it in a "pleasing" manner is what takes time.
Of course there are those who can sing four octaves, it's the bass to the falsetto, duh..

Just because it is not pleasing to your ears doesn't mean they are doing it wrong. Perhaps wrong to what you are expecting to hear or timbre you are wanting to hear. Then of course, I listen to instrumental music primarily, so this is none of my concern.
If you want him to fail, get him to record something with him singing and let us judge.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by RockGuitar92

/thread

this