So I have a B-52 AT-112, and it sounds really like, weird at high volumes. would getting a 2x12 give it a better sound (fuller sound).

and if i were to get a 2x12 cab, which one should i get.

I know that Avatar 2x12 Cabs are the best, but I can't buy things online, and they don't carry it around my local music stores.

so the only 2x12's in my options are the ones from guitar center basically.

so which 2x12 is the best? thanks
Mesa 2x12 are great.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by DannyRL
So I have a B-52 AT-112, and it sounds really like, weird at high volumes. would getting a 2x12 give it a better sound (fuller sound).

and if i were to get a 2x12 cab, which one should i get.

I know that Avatar 2x12 Cabs are the best, but I can't buy things online, and they don't carry it around my local music stores.

so the only 2x12's in my options are the ones from guitar center basically.

so which 2x12 is the best? thanks

i didn't buy my last avatar from online, just do money order or check. just make sure you put a letter saying what you want in the envelope.
I wouldn't say Avatar is the best by any means. Maybe the best for under $350, but I've heard a few stories of them collapsing or falling apart.

If you have about $600 and are willing to go used check out
Mills Acoustics, Stoneage, Port City, Tone Tubby, Ear Candy, Vader, Bassoon, Budda

If you have about $450 or so and willing to go used
Orange, Mesa, Marshall, VHT, Bogner, Bassoon, Genz- Benz,

Less than $400
Carvin, Avatar, generic cab loaded with good speakers.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
but would connecting a 112 combo to a 212 cab make it sound fuller for gigs?
Avatars are certainly not the best.

They're just the cheapest decent cabinet you can really find.

It'll be hard to find a quality 2x12 cab at GC.

You may want to consider running a 4x12, there are usually some that go for good prices used, Mesas are not too expensive, Marshall 1960 cabinets are pretty good as well.

Of the two 2x12s you're looking at, I'd probably go with the dual rec... though I generally prefer oversized 2x12s, smaller ones, while more convenient just aren't very "big" sounding.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 1, 2008,
Have you considered maybe selling the B-52, adding your budget for the cab and buying a better amp? Maybe a Mesa or a 5150 or something?

Alternatively have you considered getting a new speaker for you combo and saving some cash?

Just a thought
Quote by DannyRL
but would connecting a 112 combo to a 212 cab make it sound fuller for gigs?

Depends on the cab.

My Lopoline Closed-Back 2x12 sounds as "big" as my 4x12, it actually has noticeably more volume. It really just depends on the construction of the cabinet and the speakers used.

As far as prices on those two Mesa cabs you listed, you can check the link in my sig for that. I honestly wouldn't even bother though, for that much money you might as well sell your amp and buy something better
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by yM.Samurai
Mesa 2x12 are great.

1st and only response needed. TS, listen to this wise man
It's all about feel
danggg, i never knew mesa cabs were so expensive. almost 700 dollars for a 2x12? thats like more than my amp.

is there any cab mesa sounding-like thats less money?

thanks
Quote by DannyRL
danggg, i never knew mesa cabs were so expensive. almost 700 dollars for a 2x12? thats like more than my amp.

is there any cab mesa sounding-like thats less money?

thanks

Lopoline and Avatar make great cabs for cheap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah but i can't order anything online or write checks or money orders.

the only thing i can do is go to local music stores (guitar center, musicians warehouse(crappy place) ) and they usually have nothing
What's your price range then?

Why can't you write a check or use a money order??
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
cause im still in high school, and my parents are really old fashioned. they're really scared about giving out their credit card numbers, or write checks and money orders to things they've never heard of before. and the Avatar website doesnt look really legit either, so they probably won't go with it.
Avatar is perfectly legit, Dave is a great guy and sells good products at the cheapest price you'll probably find.

You will not find a cab better than his vintage 2x12 bluesbreaker style cab for under $400 anywhere. Cabs are great, and his speakers are great as well. A pair of Celestions alone cost about $250.
I can't say enough about Mesa 2x12s...I bought the 4x12 Rectifier b/c I like the fuller sound it gives me, but the 2x12s I tried were nothing short of amazing, if you can get the cash for one, I highly recommend them.
So I have two questions.

If i were to get an avatar (2x12), which one would be the best one.

And in the long run, which would be more worth it, the avatar or the mesa?
Avatars vintage 2x12 is good, its an oversized cabinet so you get a bigger sound than your everyday 2x12. Their contemporary cabinet is supposedly pretty good too. I'm more of a 4x12 guy, but oversized 2x12 sounds just dandy imo.

The Mesa will hold its value better, but really, I mean, if you're buying the Avatar, you're only going to be paying about $400 (and that includes speakers) as it is for a pretty damn good cabinet.

I personally am not that impressed by Mesa cabinets. Just my opinion.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 2, 2008,
would any kind of music work with avatar cabs? i play everything from poprock to hardcore(screamoish)
Should work fine.

Depends on taste really, Avatar's vintage cabs are more Marshall-ish, their contemporary cabs are more in the mold of a Mesa or Bogner.
im more into mesas and the recto-sounds. so should i get the comtemporary ones?

and how about the "traditional" ones
the contemporary is probably more up your alley then. Tighter and more focused sounding, probably better for heavier styles.

Traditionals will sound tiny in a metal setup, go for a bigger cab. Tighter low end, different projection, and closer to a 4x12 sound. Of course, if you REALLY want the sound of a 4x12, you'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for a 4x12.
so im probably going to save up for the 2x12 contemporary and then connect it to my b-52 112 for now at gigs. and then when i have money i'll buy a head for it.

so the contemporary over the mesa rec?

thanks al
Quote by al112987
Traditionals will sound tiny in a metal setup, go for a bigger cab. Tighter low end, different projection, and closer to a 4x12 sound. Of course, if you REALLY want the sound of a 4x12, you'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for a 4x12.
Oversized Recto 2x12's sound like 4x12's in a room.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
The two Avatars I've been looking at are:

G212H VINTAGE 30 / G12H30 Open Back

or the:

G212H DUAL VINTAGE 30 Closed Back

For a comparison point, the Dual Vintage 30 cab has similar speakers to the Orange 2x12. The Orange is higher wattage and I believe is 16 ohms instead of 8. There are likely a few other differences, but if it sounds similar to the Orange 2x12 cab I think it would be a decent option.

EDIT - The other lower priced model in the Vintage section is the G212 Vintage Custom Cabinet. There is even a demo clip in there to review.
Last edited by Nalakram at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by Nalakram
The two Avatars I've been looking at are:

G212H VINTAGE 30 / G12H30 Open Back

or the:

G212H DUAL VINTAGE 30 Closed Back

For a comparison point, the Dual Vintage 30 cab has similar speakers to the Orange 2x12. The Orange is higher wattage and I believe is 16 ohms instead of 8. There are likely a few other differences, but if it sounds similar to the Orange 2x12 cab I think it would be a decent option.

EDIT - The other lower priced model in the Vintage section is the G212 Vintage Custom Cabinet. There is even a demo clip in there to review.

The V30 and G12H30 cab will not handle your amp's wattage. It will be rated at 30W, you're probably safe using it as long as you don't turn it up too loud, but if you do, you will blow the speaker. That cab is also open back, if you want the tightest sound possible, you don't want an open back cab.

Quote by sharpant

Orange cabs are very expensive in the US.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Good point. I didn't look at the wattage put out by the B-52 the poster mentioned. Those cabs are definitely 30 watt.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Orange cabs are very expensive in the US.

those orange cab prices are ridiculous on gak. from humbuckermusic.com you can get an orange 2x12 for like $660, whereas the one on gak is like... $750?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008