I have NO idea what amp will suit me best. I have 200 to spend for a nice little practice amp. One thing thats also holding me back is tube or solid state.

I play rock but want a nice clean sound too.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^+1000. If I could get your prices on the V series, I'd throw a party and buy two.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
vox valvetronix.

BTW: i know that the 212 is louder than 112(duh), but is that the only reason to buy the 212?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by janderson91z
I was just looking at those haha. Think I should spend the extra 50 for the 2x12s?

Edit: Wait how is this V series 200 also but yet "50" watts?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

Because its a 1x12. the V18 2x12 costs the same price because you are paying for that extra speaker.

Quote by thisdude
vox valvetronix.

BTW: i know that the 212 is louder than 112(duh), but is that the only reason to buy the 212?

No. The 2x12 is going to be about the same volume as the 1x12. More spearkers =/= more volume. The 2x12 will have more headroom than the 1x12 and will sound better at louder volumes because the same load is being distributed to more speakers.
if you're just using it for bedroom practice then I would say go with the V18 1X12. Most people find that a 50 watt tube amp is way too loud for bedroom practices - and although you can play with the volume down, you won't hear the full capabilities of the amp unless you have it cranked.

If you plan on playing with a drummer or gigging then I recommend the V50 - and if you find you need more headroom then you can always add a 2x12 cab in the future because in my opinion single speaker amps sound like crap when you crank the volume up.
Yeah this is just going to be in my bedroom anyway.

I appreciate the help guys. I'm going to go with the V18 1X12.

Thanks =)
Anytime. That's what we are here for. The Crate V series are great amps and for $150 you are practically stealing the thing!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Because its a 1x12. the V18 2x12 costs the same price because you are paying for that extra speaker.

No. The 2x12 is going to be about the same volume as the 1x12. More spearkers =/= more volume. The 2x12 will have more headroom than the 1x12 and will sound better at louder volumes because the same load is being distributed to more speakers.

IIRC, for every doubling of surface area is a 3 dB gain in volume.
Quote by imgooley
IIRC, for every doubling of surface area is a 3 dB gain in volume.

Haha I know that Goolz, but 3db isn't enough to make a difference lol.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Haha I know that Goolz, but 3db isn't enough to make a difference lol.

It's all good

I'm sometimes a specificity nazi.

Quote by imgooley
It's all good

I'm sometimes a specificity nazi.

I just get tired of everyone thinking that adding more speakers is going to double the volume or something!?
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I just get tired of everyone thinking that adding more speakers is going to double the volume or something!?

Same with doubling wattage

It's the same gain as doubling speaker area.

So many factors to consider when talking volume and such, though.
3db is a noticable volume difference for sure. I don't get why people say it's unnoticable.
Quote by Horlicks
3db is a noticable volume difference for sure. I don't get why people say it's unnoticable.

I'm good friends with an audiologist so I get lectured about playing music all the time - 3db is hardly noticable.
Just wanted to say I went to Guitar Center today and they didn't have any V18s. But had a 30W Valetronix used for 179 and he went down to 139 since I was buying a guitar at the same time.

GO ME.