Long story short, I have the Classic 30 combo, and I got the tom's tube tamer yet it still rattles. Any suggestions? I have my first gig (playing for my church) on Saturday so I need help asap!
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
did you ask this question somewhere else and get an answer already?

are you sure it is a tube? it could be a loose component or screw somewhere.

I wouldn't open the metal chassis on your own but you can obviously push all the tubes in tight and make sure they are seated correctly, tighten down all the screws that are visible, take out the reverb pan, etc and then try again.

PS. I don't own one and I'm not a amp tech so bump for ya.
I'm pretty sure its the tubes, cause when i put a good amount of pressure on them, It doesnt rattle. Maybe a tube is loose, but it is my first tube amp and I havent fooled around with any of the insides due to my lack of knowledge. I guess I'll try pushing the tube in more...but how hard should it be to push them in? I havent touched them other than to see if they were rattling and it would really suck if i broke them
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Push them until they are seated properly. Obviously they only go in so far. The tube tamer should have helped some.

How bad is the rattle? If you are playing at volume, would you hear it? (Assuming you are not using bedroom volumes when you play in church).

^^ Yes.. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967624&highlight=classic+30+cleans
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
well usually you can hear it on the clean channel at around 6-7ish (max volume on guitar). Its most audible when i increase the bass and i play on the low E, A, and sumtimes D string. I put a piece of cloth inbetween the preamp tube under the bass knob (Im assuming it controls the bass) and the tube tamer and i think it helps but theres definitely still tube rattle as volume increases. I generally dont notice it on the overdrive channel because the sustain pretty much masks almost all of the rattling

do you guys think the cloth is safe? i dont think the bottom tips of the tubes run too hot to burn it
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
sorry for the bump, but it would be really helpful to fix this before i play before my church saturday... should i just take it to guitarcenter or some other place for a professional to look at it?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
First off, I believe the rattling comes from the power tubes. Second, it's pretty much impossible to totally eliminate from a combo amp if I'm not mistaken.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well I'm not sure that my amp should have tube rattle when its at like 7 ish volume...unless you guys have rattle at around that volume. Im pretty sure its not being mic'ed cause the PA system is installed inside and its going to be outdoors (if weather permits ofcourse). I guess its going to be pretty loud, but the more head room where theres no rattle, the better because im going to be playing with a drummer. and to kevin Im pretty sure it comes from the preamp ones cause the tube tamer goes on the preamp tubes but correct me if Im wrong
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
My BFDRs tubes rattle when I carry it.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
is it that bad it annoys you?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
its mainly when i play single notes on the lower 3 strings, but i guess i can deal with it for now...maybe down the line i'll have a amp tech look at it
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
hey just uploaded the clip http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Dandaman4716/
obviously not any indication of guitar playing, just showing the tube rattle. clean was around 6 and bass was around 9, middle and treble were rolled down to 2.
any thoughts on how to get rid of that?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Hah my bad yea that was probably fret buzz, but i put on a different clip. Im pretty sure that it is tube rattling. Its kinda quiet so you may have to raise the volume when you play it
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
I didn't hear any rattle, besides what seemed to be fret buzz on the last note. Maybe try a clip from inside the cab or behind the cab. I have a feeling that whatever rattle there is, it'll be lost in the mix when you're playing live.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Alright, that one was better. Still not tube rattle though. That sounds like something else is loose.
I checked all the outside screws and nothing is loose. I looked around on the inside but i didnt check inside the chassis or inside any of the other things (the reverb for example) cause i dont really know that much about amps.

Should i try opening the chassis? maybe get someone more experienced?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
sounds just like the rattle the VK i bought and returned had. it was horrible with a g note or chord. maybe new power tubes might cure it?
ok, i think i may hear what you are talking about but only after trying to subtract fretbuzz in my head. Thanks for putting that up. I'm not an expert here.

If you have fret buzz you should be able to hear it unplugged. Check that.
Also record from behind amp like Kevin said, and stand as far away from mic as possible.
Take the reverb pan out altogether. It won't hurt. Just RCA jacks like a camcorder. Or at least unplug it.
What tubes do you have now and how old are they?

I took the tube cage off, reverb pan out, tightened screws, place on it's own outlet, turn off all interference, etc, etc.
Replace tubes?

?????????????

Curious, did you record your Walking Song via acoustic to tube amp? Did you do all of that yourself with multi-tracks.
Ill try taking the reverb pan out, but where is it lol? it maybe loose or somthing cause when i move the amp with reverb on i get like this weird, loud noise...or maybe thats cause its a spring reverb. The tubes are pretty new cause the guy i bought it off of said they were only like a couple months old. Ill probably have to look up how to do that and what not

As for the walking song its just acoustic, but i had the mic right next to the guitar because a couple other recordings the hum from my computer was really loud. I pretty much made a bunch of tracks myself using audacity and played over them by myself. Id like record the drum beat by beating on the guitar and then recorded over it with multiple parts, like the main riff, a lead, slap harmonics, and a bass line. it was a lot of fun putting it all together =D
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
cool...i'm going to figure out the multi-tracking too on audacity.

here is a similar thread to yours on the main page here. My guess is you've already seen it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973631

so you said earlier that when you push on the tube (with a pencil or like i'm assuming) the rattle goes away? I think that is your Bingo.

as far as reverb pan, i doubt that is it, i was just trying to eliminate things. In my Valveking the reverb tank is mounted to bottom of amp and i just unplugged it and unscrewed it. I never bothered to put it back in.
well the thing is that i already have the tube tamer, and Ive tightened screws that i can see but maybe ill take another look around the amp.

cheers to audacity multi-tracking!
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30

and a bump.

I understand you have a tube tamer but that is obviously not helping. Don't put a cloth underneath your tubes by the way and make sure you unplug that thing. I know that is obvious but we've had two UG'rs this summer that had amp problems, warnings were given out, and they never came back to at least say thanks.

Anyway, what tubes are in there again? Were any other changes made to this amp recently? It could just be a loose component somewhere that only vibrates at certain frequencies as noted. It could actually be the tubes as mentioned - which means get better ones. Sorry for the long post and Good Luck.
hey Sorry for the delayed post...studying SAT's and what not...
i checked all the screws again and it seems they're all good, but i noticed that my power tubes are not matched. 2 of them are electroharmonix and the other one is tungsol.
could this be the source of the problem?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
not sure...

my general experience tells me it ok to mis match preamp tubes but not power tubes. i would look at the condition of each tube and make a determination as to which to go with. Tungsols are generally considered better. Can you take a pic of your tubes? Do they all glow nice and orange and blue or do you see discoluration on the glass?
here are some pics of the tubes when the amp is on. I dimmed the lights so you can see the tube glow.

(sorry for the large pics)

the power amp tubes only glow a very slight orange

and edit: the 3 power tubes are 2 electroharmonix and 1 sovtek...not tungsol. Must have mixed up the names

Thanks for all the help so far, I know you dont have the amp but you seem to know a good deal about tube amps
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
I have the classic 30 as well and had a similar issue. First of all, hate to ask the obvious, but did you put new tubes in when you installed the tube tamer. Your old tubes they may be damaged due to the excessive rattling that this amp is famous for.
I replaced mine at same time I installed the TT and the issue disappeared. I also had a speaker that was adding to the problem.
My suggestion, replace the tubes (Eurotubes set me up with exactly what this amp needed), and replace the speaker (warehouse speakers) I put in a greenback clone. I love my classic 30, with these upgrades. I was going for more of a crunchy overdrien sound, but it still does clean really nice to. With a Tube Screamer in front of it and a guitar, nothing matches it.
Good luck, once you get it straightened out you won't regret it.
Heritage H150 Rio Pups, Dean Soltero SL, Dean Hardtail Select with Mustaine Active Pups,
Randall RT 2/50, Peavey Rockmaster, Voodoo Labs Preamp, Carvin Quad, Rocktron Piranha, Intellifex . AVatar 2x12
Peavey Classic 30, Vox ADVT 30,
Pod X3live
Hmm replacing the tubes sound like a good idea, I'll probably go to doug's tubes sometime cause its like 20 minutes from my house. And Im still unsure but you dont need to get it biased right? cause i heard yes from some and no from others. thanks

btw i noticed that both you guys have MIM HSS strats...what do you guys think of them? and to tsmilliner did you replace the whammy bar with the hardtail yourself? cause i dont really want to deal with retuning all the time nor do i want to deal with a FR tremelo
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
You live that close to dougstubes? Man, are you lucky. Why don't you contact them if you don't get an answer here? I'm not sure honestly. There is a Classic 30 - Your last amp Thread, but I think you know that.

I love my HSS strat. I do not have tuning issues and my vintage bridge is set to float so I can pull up and dive. Great versatile guitar.

my VK tubes after good throw down...
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 5, 2009,
hehe yea i probably will contact them...but the fact that replacing all of the tubes would cost around 100 bucks will probably take me a while to convince my parents

and you use the stock tremelo bar? hmm I will definitely try it out some more next time I got to a guitar store

I'll have to see how bright my tubes get after cranking my amp...but maybe tomorrow considering its 1:30 in the morning now hah
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
I know it's been years since this post was last addressed and I don't get around here much :-0, but I was researching the Peavey Delta Blues 30 combo amp and ran across this thread about tube rattling. Dandaman4716 asked if a tube amp should be biased. IMO if it's been biased and your replacing the tubes with the same type and brand, you likely don't need to re-bias it. On the other hand, if you change the tube type and brand I'd recommend having it re-biased (by a professional) and tuned up overall as this can effect the overall output and characteristics of the amp, not to mention effect the life of the new tubes and possibly cause other damage; short or long term. For those that aren't aware, DO NOT touch the tubes with your fingers because the body oils from your skin remain on the surface which gets very hot and can cause them to crack or burst, at the very least can and will shorten the life integrity of the tube itself. If you do handle them, be sure to wipe them clean with a cleaner that will remove the body oils and not leave a residue. Believe it or not, I actually use window cleaner which does an excellent job. Use a "clean" rag or cloth to handle them when necessary. They aren't cheap and you want them to last, so take my advice (learned the hard way when I was younger) and treat them with care.

Regarding getting inside the chassis, unless you know what your doing I'd advise against it. Tube amps (instrument or stereo) and 2-way radios etc have very high plate and transformer voltages that can kill you. Even unplugged there are areas (capacitors and such) that are very very dangerous to the uninitiated. Extreme caution is advised! Let a professional get in there if needed and be around to see what the next day brings your way. ;-)

I assume since it's been years this thread has been active, all members who posted above have certainly figured things out and moved on. That said, I ran across this thread (reference link below in quote) on the Peavey forum that addresses this rattling issue. I thought it relevant and may be of interest to others dealing with tube rattling issues. It also has comments regarding troubleshooting other areas that can cause rattling that may not be the tubes at all using a home built stethoscope.

BTW... EL84 tubes can rattle because of their design amongst other things, but more importantly, all tubes can be pron to rattling due to the "speaker blast zone" as noted by Peavey forum member 'Classic30inCincy' below.

Re: Peavey classic 30 tube rattle

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Discussed many times on Forum.......

Tube rings will not make a noisy EL84 power tube into a quiet tube.

Tube holders will not make a noisy EL84 power tube into a quiet tube.

Rings and holders help to keep "fragile small bottle" EL84's from damage caused by

"Speaker Blast Zone".

I hope this helps those that are looking for answers to rattling issues in or about their equipment in general, but particularly about tube rattling. Good luck in your search to detect and eliminate "Rattling". ;-)
Kindest Regards,
Visible Spirit
Oil on the hands is an old wife's tale that got fabricated from the fact that halogen bulbs can overheat from finger smudges reflecting energy back into the bulb. Tubes don't emit that much energy. Nice resurrection.