I am looking into buying a mesa, probably a Road King II. i recently played one and it sounds amazing. However, im not quite sure about how to get the best tone out of these amps.

Do most people use external distortions/reverbs on top of the amp, to get a better lead tone?

should i look into something like the boss GT-10 to use with it? or am i just better off with individual pedals?
no way man! just spend a couple days twisting the knobs and playing with the switches under the 10W setting, and you will get that perfect crunch. if you can't, consider another amp. it is ridiculous to buy a $1999 amp and then buy a distortion pedal for it (which probably will try to mimic a sound of a true amp that the RK is)
It's all about feel
I have a RKII and I run an overdrive on top of distortion channels and an eq in the loop just to tweak the sound a little for myself. Of course it will still sound amazing without using any effects but i really prefer the sound which they give.

I'm using a lovepedal eternity and mxr 10 band eq btw
It depends on what sound you want. If you want a clean, a classic rock or a metal tone, I'll guess you won't need much. If you want a alternative/grunge type distortion, you're gonna need some external effects.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i play metal, and im looking for a petrucci-like lead tone. when i was using the rk it seemed like legato and tapping were harder to get out clearly than i wanted them to be.
You should probably not need an OD pedal, just crank the gain.

Multi-fx are preety crappy to run into botique tube amps unless you're talking high-end multi-fx.

Mesa's are tweaking amps, you really have to expiriment a shit-ton with em to really find the best sound.
Quote by ChaosMaker911
i play metal, and im looking for a petrucci-like lead tone. when i was using the rk it seemed like legato and tapping were harder to get out clearly than i wanted them to be.

add a high-end OD and run the level up and the drive down to get a good edge for leads. also try a good boost.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
A lot of the guys at the Grailtone Boogie Board forums use ODs and EQ pedals to sweeten their tone. Check it out -- the posters there are very helpful & know their Mesas.