Every time I tune my guitar it sometimes makes a crack sound with the G B and High E strings, and I bend em and they go out of tune. I stretched the strings quite a lot too and they still keep going out of tune, so I don't know what the frig is happening. The Low E, A and D don't really have this problem, but anyways when I was taking off the strings I notice the tuning pegs(where I insert the strings) are loose, I just noticed this but are they supposed to be kinda loose? One of my friends told me it just happens and nothings wrong but I think I have to tighten it a bit. Any ideas to whats going on? I really wanna figure this out cause it gets really annoying when I tune my guitar and I bend it hear a crack and it goes out of tune. My guitar is a Dean VX, no Floyd so yeah... Advice appreciated.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
You can either widen the slots at the nut, but i would have a pro do it. Or you can "lube" the slots by putting pencil lead dust/lead into the slots. I know that sounds weird but it helped with my epiphone les paul
Quote by hardrckr120
You can either widen the slots at the nut, but i would have a pro do it. Or you can "lube" the slots by putting pencil lead dust/lead into the slots. I know that sounds weird but it helped with my epiphone les paul

Ill probably take it in then cause I dont wanna mess it up, any other suggestions?
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
I would try the pencil lead thing first. I did it and it helped and if you mess it up all you have to do is wipe it out. Also graph tech guitar labs make a lubricated nut that is designed to fix your problem. Its called the Black TUSQ XL or something and can be found at www.graphtech.com
DON'T widen the slots in the nut. They have been cut for that guitar using a certain gauge of string. If you go about messing it up, then all you'll wind up with is a guitar that's even more finicky to tune.
You said your tuning machine posts are loose? Look on the face of the headstock, there'll be nuts holding beauty rings on each of the 6 posts. Make sure those are nice and tight. but don't go so far they grind down into the wood. Next, make sure the tiny screws that hold the tuning machine gearbox to the back side of the headstock are tight. Now, on each knob that you turn to tune, see if there's another small phillips head screw. This screw serves two purposes. One is to hold the knob on(duh), but the other is an adjustment for the tuning machines gears. You can set the amount of pre-load on the pinion gear with this. Too much and the tuner will be hard to turn and thus hard to fine tune that string. Too loose and it'll be sloppy, going out of tune often.
Address these issues first then restring the guitar. When you do, make sure you are wrapping the strings correctly at each post. Thru the hole first, then start winding up the string onto the post, and when the pigtail comes around the first time, the first wrap goes over the top of the tail, then keep winding and when it comes around again, make the next few wraps go under the tail and hole. That first wrap creates a lock and keeps the string from slipping out of the hole.
I read in here too many people have been stringing up the wrong way. They are pulling the new string through the hole until snug, then just wrapping it around the post a few times, then tuning up. That is wrong. You need to leave slack in the string BEFORE the post, then start winding it up. The slack needs to be in the playable part of the string in other words. You just can't wrap up the string onto the post any other way.
Lastly, as you are restringing it, dab a tiny amount of vasoline onto each nut slot. Strings are metal right? Don't metal parts usually need lubrication to work smoothly? I lube at the bridge saddles too on my SG and Strat. It makes for nice smooth tuning.
If you follow all of this you should have a very stable tuned guitar.
I have the same issue, but im using an Ibanez GRG guitar with a one way tremolo.

So every time i divebomb or do a squeal or even vibrato a little bit, one or two strings go out.
Would the above suggestions help me as well?
Quote by unet
I have the same issue, but im using an Ibanez GRG guitar with a one way tremolo.

So every time i divebomb or do a squeal or even vibrato a little bit, one or two strings go out.
Would the above suggestions help me as well?

Of course. Anything that will allow the string to maintain it's tuned tension will help EVERY guitar. Proper wrapping at the tuners, lube, intonation all will contribute to tuning stability. In your guitar's case, lube might be your best friend. Personally I like the Big Bends Nut Sauce. You can get it from MusiciansFriend. It's like vasoline, but with graphite in it, and it comes in a nifty little syringe applicator with a small pinpoint tube. It's really easy to put just the right amount in the smallest places, like the bridge saddles where the strings ride, the nut slots, the pivot points for a tremolo bridge.
Whenever you dive, then release the trem handle(whammy bar), the springs in the backside of the trem need to bring the bridge plate back to it's neutral position, which will be standard tuning. Anything preventing that, like strings sticking on the saddles, or dry pivot points, will make it sound off after a dive. Give it a try.
Quote by LeftyDave
DON'T widen the slots in the nut. They have been cut for that guitar using a certain.....(insert awesome advice here)..... tuned guitar.

You my friend, are a GENIUS.

I cannot thank you or the internet enough.
I did the following:
1.Tightened all the nuts on my headstock. :P
2. Put a little graphite on the part of the saddle over which the string slides.
3. Inserted the string and strung them the right way....ie. with the loop and some slack on the playable side, then tightened them.

My guitar now plays perfectly, with no tuning issues whatsoever and absolutely NO cracking sound from the strings even when i push the trem bar all the way to the body.
Thank you!

(Also, i believe my bridge is now floating just a tad above the body, so i can now pull the note back by about 1 step. Strange....but i like it!)
Last edited by unet at Oct 4, 2008,