Well, I've been thinking about this a hell of a lot lately, and I want to switch from left-handed playing to right-handed playing. I'm willing to sit there with the right handed guitar, and try to familiarize my picking hand with the bridge on that side. It just feels so damn awkward, I mean I can progressively pick a string, but often alternates and sweep motions are making me think twice. I am sick of having to buy "custom guitars" just to buy a left-handed version of a standard version. Even though the standard version being an original guitar, they charge it as a custom due to the change, meaning big bucks all the time. I am not nearly satisfied enough to stick with left-handed playing. I know it will be a big step, but have you seen this happen before? I just want to make sure this is somewhat possible over time, to adapt a comfortable feeling in both my picking and fret hand over time. I am naturally a user of both hands, my left has more strength, but I do many things such as batting right-handed. I just wanna here some stories (if any), or tips, to familiarize my switch in playing as soon as possible. I mean I can pick, but not as well as I could if I were to flip the guitar around, will the "awkward feeling" eventually ware off or something related? after months of practicing picking faster and such? Thanks.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Two options, dude:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/michael_angelo_batio

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/jimi_hendrix
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
Two options, dude:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/michael_angelo_batio

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/jimi_hendrix

This.
Quote by bloodycomfort
Well, I've been thinking about this a hell of a lot lately, and I want to switch from left-handed playing to right-handed playing. I'm willing to sit there with the right handed guitar, and try to familiarize my picking hand with the bridge on that side. It just feels so damn awkward, I mean I can progressively pick a string, but often alternates and sweep motions are making me think twice. I am sick of having to buy "custom guitars" just to buy a left-handed version of a standard version. Even though the standard version being an original guitar, they charge it as a custom due to the change, meaning big bucks all the time. I am not nearly satisfied enough to stick with left-handed playing. I know it will be a big step, but have you seen this happen before? I just want to make sure this is somewhat possible over time, to adapt a comfortable feeling in both my picking and fret hand over time. I am naturally a user of both hands, my left has more strength, but I do many things such as batting right-handed. I just wanna here some stories (if any), or tips, to familiarize my switch in playing as soon as possible. I mean I can pick, but not as well as I could if I were to flip the guitar around, will the "awkward feeling" eventually ware off or something related? after months of practicing picking faster and such? Thanks.

ive done it with masturbation, i switched to my left hand so i can still use the mouse properly.

Good luck man
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
A friend of mine is doing that currently the other way 'round, because the pinky on her current fretting hand is crooked and limits her technically. She's been having a hard time so far, but she's progressing.

Good luck ts.
Thanks guys, reading the Hendrix bio has actually influenced me. I find it funny because the first 2 months I played on a guitar, it was with my friends old right-handed Strat. I would simply just play it upside down, which I found quite comfortable, but chords didn't sound right, would I just strum upside-down on chords? That would get kind of annoying. I used to simply play the chords as if I would on a left-handed guitar, making them upside down. Are there any other players who played upside down? I enjoy looking into it, because I used to do it, and was eventually talked out of it by the guy at the shop that sells me guitars, which landed these left-handed guitars in my room next to me. I would like to go back to those old roots, but I am worried about chords.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't a strap be a big problem upside down? I can deal with the knobs on the top, but no strap is a problem. I also feel most comfortable with flying-V's, it will feel pretty awkward to have the larger wing rest in my lap, lol. The tremolo would also be a swift kick to the nuggets. -.-
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Oct 1, 2008,
1. You flip the nut around and string the guitar lefty
2. you drill new strap holes
3. a flying v that's symmetrical will do you very good since flipping it really won't effect you, you just gotta get used to not hitting the knobs and switches ect.

I say look into an epiphone or gibby flying V.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120