My friend is gonna sell me his old marshall mgdfx100 for $120. I plan on playing this before I buy it, but I was wondering if I could get your guys opinion on it since this will be my first amp other than my starter one. I play a bit of everything, but it mostly focuses around clean, punk, and rock. Some tones Im interested in would be similar to santana, clapton, bad religion, offspring, metallica, and satriani.

Should I consider buying this or save and buy something that might be better suited for my needs?
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
No.
Just please, no.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
I can't believe people still post threads here about MG's, we must rip on them at least once a day.

Please don't commit this act, or we will take it as heresy and you will attend a trial to attempt to regain your credibility.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Well... You're going to get a LOT of bad comments about the MG series of Marshalls...

If you are a beginner then you want....

a.) Solid cleans (The MGs do this)
b.) Loud enough to jam with others (the 100 will do this)
c.) Something interesting (The FX can let you explore music more than a frontman can)

But...

1.) The tone is sterile... No versatility or dynamics
2.) After a few years at MOST you will be selling it for something else.

For a beginner amp, it's great because it lets you explore and gives you an opportunity to play in a band...

For something more, it's not good.

(I say go for it though)

EDIT:

How long have you been playing, what COULD your budget be?
For $120 your not going to get anything better if your just getting into guitar i would go for it, you can play over a drummer with it and its half decent enough for practicing. Without spending over $500 you wont get what anything that these guys will reccomend you.
Quote by Aesop_Rock
For $120 your not going to get anything better if your just getting into guitar i would go for it, you can play over a drummer with it and its half decent enough for practicing. Without spending over $500 you wont get what anything that these guys will reccomend you.

WRONG!!!!!

Look into a Peavey Bandit for sure, truly great solid state amplifier, I own one presently for just tooling around on when my Orange is too loud.

Also, the Vox Valvetronix series is worth a look in the lowerish price range.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by roshjosh
Well... You're going to get a LOT of bad comments about the MG series of Marshalls...

If you are a beginner then you want....

a.) Solid cleans (The MGs do this)
b.) Loud enough to jam with others (the 100 will do this)
c.) Something interesting (The FX can let you explore music more than a frontman can)

But...

1.) The tone is sterile... No versatility or dynamics
2.) After a few years at MOST you will be selling it for something else.

For a beginner amp, it's great because it lets you explore and gives you an opportunity to play in a band...

For something more, it's not good.

(I say go for it though)

EDIT:

How long have you been playing, what COULD your budget be?

Been playing a little over a year. Budget isnt really a concern since I have a job and am not opposed to saving for something worthwhile. The only reason I really even considered this amp was because my friend was selling it and needs the money.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
If you want something *Worthwhile*,

1.) Go to www.musicianfriend.com and browse around (It's a very simple layout...

2.) Find a few amps that look good in your pricerange (that you'll make)...

3.) Try them out.

4.) Tell your friend to put his amp on Craigslist, he could probably get more off of it there.

I'm not going to recommend you anything but I urge you to do TONNES of research...

When you think you've found the amp you want, post here and ask more questions.
You could always buy the MG so you can help your mate, then sell it for the same price you paid for it, and buy something like a used Valvetronix or Roland Cube.
Quote by roshjosh
If you want something *Worthwhile*,

1.) Go to www.musicianfriend.com and browse around (It's a very simple layout...

2.) Find a few amps that look good in your pricerange (that you'll make)...

3.) Try them out.

4.) Tell your friend to put his amp on Craigslist, he could probably get more off of it there.

I'm not going to recommend you anything but I urge you to do TONNES of research...

When you think you've found the amp you want, post here and ask more questions.

Why would he have to keep posting here if he finds an amp he's interested in. I will admit that the MG is complete crap, and there are tons are crap amps, but if he finds something he likes then he should probably go for it. Musiciansfriend is filled with comments on amps that allow you to see what others think of it, and they play a veriety of different styles. It's not like anybody here knows the exact sound he wants.
Buy it off your mate, flog it off on Craigslist or eBay and make a profit (hell, give him some of the profits if you wish) and then save for a better amp. For clean and punk, I'll be shouted down for it but you can't go too wrong with a Vox AC-15 with a good distortion pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
if you only had the $120, and the mg worked (some dont) then i would have said yeah, that's fine. the mg100 is a huge (usually expensive) starter amp.

it's a starter, but better than trying to keep up with a band using a microcube.

but since you have money coming in, i'd suggest you state a budget and music style, and idea about use. there are better ways to spend the $120.

also, like said, helping your friend out is good for your mojo. so sell the amp, or buy it and sell it. just dont rip off someone else, all all that extra good will go to waste anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by Aesop_Rock
Without spending over $500 you wont get what anything that these guys will reccomend you.

What? We recommend Classic 30's for $300 used, Traynors for $400-$450, Crate V's for $150-250, Epi's, Blackhearts, Cubes, Valvetronics... All under $500. It's only when someone says "budget is unlimited" that we scream Two-Rock, Diezel, Top Hat and Matamp. (Ha, well Goolz does... cheers mate).
For what you play - heck a VK112 would be an upgrade. ($225-$275 used).
Just to make a point. My rec, would be a Cube 30x, Vypyr 30 or classic 30 and a Jekyl and Hyde.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
An MG is little more than a big starter amp. If its used it may work for a while on the other hand it may not.