Okay this thread is only for people who actually own and/or have a lot of experience with B-52s.

I'm looking for a new amp, as I have been for a few months, and I had my heart set on a Vox AC-15 with my pedals until someone showed me an ad for a B-52 AT-112. 60w, all tube, poor man's Mesa and best of all, within my range. Since my two idols (Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl) both used/use Mesas, this would seem like a good deal except for one problem.

My neighbour used to own a B-52 that was the exact same model. A couple of weeks after he bought it and I was jamming with him, I stuck my Schecter into it to give it a whirl and after a few minutes of epic tone with my rig, it died. He took it into the shop, tube problem, no big, got them changed. Then a few weeks later he told me it died again, this time it was a wiring problem which would have taken a long time and a lot of money to fix, so he gave up and got an actual Mesa, but he had a full time job so he could afford it. I'm in high school and off to uni next year, I don't have a job right now and next year I'll have to support myself, so I won't exactly have cash lying around to fix a dead amp.

Does anyone own or use to own one of these amps (even the head/cab version, which Goolz if I'm not mistaken has) and can you comment on its reliability? Cause if you say it's solid, I might just get one and take back all the jokes I made about them breaking faster than I can make a girl orgasm.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The first few batches of B-52 ATs had some wiring and ventilating issues. These issues have been resolved in the later batches. You'll be pretty safe if you buy a recent B-52.

I've had my B-52 AT 112 for 4 years now, no problems what so ever.
WTLTL 2011
Okay, so a new model should be sweet? His one was about 4-5 years old also (he got it used).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I have a brand new at100. 3 gigs, 15 rehearsals, 2-3 hours per night practicing/recording. 1.5 months old. No problems yet...

but, I promise, if I ever have any issues with, you'll hear about it first right here!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I just read the reviews on Harmony Central and they aren't exactly glowing with praise for the reliability. I reckon I'll ditch it and just get the Vox or the Fender and stack it with pedals like I was going to do anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
Ih ave the AT-112 60 watt all tube combo.

I have had it for 11 months and am planning on celebrating its 1st b day in some way, CUZ I LOVE IT!!!

I have had absolutely no problems with it AT ALL.

highly reccomemded
Quote by shadow__666
I just read the reviews on Harmony Central and they aren't exactly glowing with praise for the reliability. I reckon I'll ditch it and just get the Vox or the Fender and stack it with pedals like I was going to do anyway.

fender and vox's are not meant for metal. and as for the reliability, b-52 has since then fixed them. Such as with overheating, they now having fans in the amp (never knew why they didn't have them in the first place)
I'm not a metal player, I'm into grunge, punk and other alt rock.

I guess I can do some more research and find out, but if I get the B-52 and it craps out on me I can blame youse.
Quote by Cathbard
They do seem to break fairly often, and it doesn't appear to be only the older ones. I've heard more than one with some bad hum. Even though that might be the same tube issue causing some of the reliability problems, I'm not sure it's worth it. They don't sound that great to me to be worth all the trouble.

If you like the sound of the AC15, get one. They're excellent.
Quote by Roc8995
They do seem to break fairly often, and it doesn't appear to be only the older ones. I've heard more than one with some bad hum. Even though that might be the same tube issue causing some of the reliability problems, I'm not sure it's worth it. They don't sound that great to me to be worth all the trouble.

If you like the sound of the AC15, get one. They're excellent.

I'm with him. Plus, I really don't get why people call them the Poor Man's Mesa. I haven't found that to be true at all.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm with him. Plus, I really don't get why people call them the Poor Man's Mesa. I haven't found that to be true at all.

probably because u havent even tried them out?

trust me and try out the AT-100.
Quote by gpowsang
probably because u havent even tried them out?

trust me and try out the AT-100.

probably because u're rong.
I played the AT-100 extensively before I bought my Mesa. Trust me, if I had though there was a close comparison between them, I would have bought the B-52.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Plus, I really don't get why people call them the Poor Man's Mesa. I haven't found that to be true at all.

I have to agree, B-52's are not Mesa's. They are two completely different amps
Quote by Ghold125
I have to agree, B-52's are not Mesa's. They are two completely different amps

B52s much tighter in my opinion.
And ive tried a B-52 and dual rectifier next to oneanother.
Suprizing fact is i got a more favorable tone out of the B-52...
Idk im just into very very tight sounding tone.
They are very different amps though.
The B-52 AT100 is my next amp so......

*subscribe*
I think I'll just get the Vox. If for no other reason (call me shallow and an idiot) if it craps out on me Vox are a better recognised brand, therefore it'll be easier to find someplace where I can fix it.
Quote by Cathbard
Unless someone can give me a miracle game changing argument for the B-52 or any other amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I think I'll just get the Vox. If for no other reason (call me shallow and an idiot) if it craps out on me Vox are a better recognised brand, therefore it'll be easier to find someplace where I can fix it.

most parts in amps use the same types of parts (sorry if im not giving the most technicall term) but repairing one amp (tube) can be almost like repairing another. And name brand's should not have an effect on it. But it's up to you
well, i have the at112 and i like it but i dont love it. its veyr durable, but its hard to get a really good metal tone imo. also, its not loud to play w/ a band. i had mine on 8 today and it wasnt heard over the drums vocals and bass
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Damn how loud are you guys? When I played my neighbours' one I was scaring neighbourhood cats with it at 5.
Quote by Cathbard
People. Metal is irrelevant. That's not what he wants. As such, the B-52 should be irrelevant, as that's its forte. I really think you should go with the Vox.

Don't judge me.
you're going to college next year?

is a tube amp really up you're alley. You will not be able to turn it over .5 in a dorm.
Quote by pacoasterrider

is a tube amp really up you're alley. You will not be able to turn it over .5 in a dorm.

im a senior in high school....so weel see how that goes...
Quote by pacoasterrider

eh, i can crank my tube amp up to 2. but really, that shouldn't play into the argument. If volume's a problem, lower wattage fixes it (sorta). The AC won't be brutally loud.

Don't judge me.
The AC-15 is pretty loud, but I'm keeping my little Ibanez practice amp for late night dorm practices. This amp is more for gigs and maybe the odd daytime jam.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by gpowsang
im a senior in high school....so weel see how that goes...

Im a freshmen in college and luckily don't live on campus. But my friends in their dorm rooms have so many problems with people bitching about sound. I think you should just put the money away and put more in it over college (if you have a giggable solid state). Then you can build an amazing rig when you're out of school if you've stored the money.

You would need an aAttenuator to keep yourself happy with a tube amp in school. A Solid State might not be a bad choice for now.
Well if I did get an SS (it's a Christmas/Hindu holiday present from my parents) at least I'd save enough to get some stuff for my rig. Anyone got any recommendations?
Quote by Cathbard
Oh yeah, my Ibanez amp is 10w. No gigs there except with a very good PA.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Well if I did get an SS (it's a Christmas/Hindu holiday present from my parents) at least I'd save enough to get some stuff for my rig. Anyone got any recommendations?

just go tube. I live on campus in a dorm, and I have no problems. Just don't crank it or play outside of reasonable hours.

Don't judge me.
That's a convincing enough argument for me. I can keep the Ibanez amp, as I said, for late night practices cause it has a headphone jack, and the Vox for jamming and gigs. The distortion isn't brilliant, but I just stack it with FX and I can get a kick arse tone. Or that's me.
Quote by Cathbard
Do you guys think the Vox AC15 can produce
some of Guns and Roses' dirty tones....
I guess with a decent distortion pedal.
^no its not about distorition its just about voicings and the vox dosent have that sort of voicing.
people think you need all distortion for GNR or ACDC, all you need is a certain tone.