The title explains all, really.

I've searched the forums and found some YES and some NO answers, but never with any explanation, so that's why I'm asking.

Also, which wood type would theoretically be best for EMG's and downtuned metal? mahagony, maple, basswood,...?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
seymour duncan blackouts > emg's nuff said

emgs make guitars sound the same, blackouts give each guitar a difference
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Well the Schecter Hellraiser (mahogony) and the Jeff Loomis signature (swamp ash) both Emg's. They are 7 strings, made for downtuned metal, and both guitars supposedly sound different as well. I own the Loomis and it is bright like people say because swamp ash is extremely resonant and it has a maple fretboard which is also supposed to make it brighter. The mahogony Hellraiser is supposedly darker sounding with the mahogony and rosewood fretboard.

Both are great guitars and both sound good. I would def go with mahogony because theyre arent many guitars out there with swamp ash, and basswood is shit...

In my opinion, even though you have emg's the guitar may sound different depending on the wood used.
Quote by vegetable-jim
seymour duncan blackouts > emg's nuff said

emgs make guitars sound the same, blackouts give each guitar a difference

YES! ( see my sig :P )
personal opinion, do not flame
Quote by ClementWave
no matter what wood you use EMG's overpower every other tonal factor in the guitar.

Since you're talking about output now, wouldn't that mean you could say the same about SD blackouts? They supposedly have an even higher ouput than EMG's and yet people say they give more room to the wood type than EMG's.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
THat's crap. I have a Fender with SA's, a Charvel with 85/60's, and an Ibanez with 707/707-TW's.

All different guitars, each has EMG's, and each one sounds different. If it was true, no one would spend big bucks on overpriced guitars. YOu could get the cheapest Piesce Of Shit to sound like the mostest metal master if it were.

Don't be fooled by internet opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.
Saying that EMG's make all guitars sound the same is absolutely false. I'm not an EMG user, but from what I've tried I'd take them over the SD Blackouts. If you buy actives it's suposed to be because you like the actives' sound, so why get a pickup that tries to sound less like an active?
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Mahoru
Saying that EMG's make all guitars sound the same is absolutely false. I'm not an EMG user, but from what I've tried I'd take them over the SD Blackouts. If you buy actives it's suposed to be because you like the actives' sound, so why get a pickup that tries to sound less like an active?

Hammered the nail in the coffin right there.
Quote by leadfootdriver
THat's crap. I have a Fender with SA's, a Charvel with 85/60's, and an Ibanez with 707/707-TW's.

All different guitars, each has EMG's, and each one sounds different. If it was true, no one would spend big bucks on overpriced guitars. YOu could get the cheapest Piesce Of Shit to sound like the mostest metal master if it were.

Don't be fooled by internet opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.

Lovely. Those could only be more different if there was something about the Blackouts in there.
EMG's dont let every guitar sound the same. Put EMG's in a strat, and put them in a Les Paul, then you will notice a big difference.
The thing is though, that if you put EMG's in an epiphone LP and in a gibson LP custom (both LP's), you wont hear tonal difference (the difference is so tiny that in a band situation where you have the drums, the bass the other guitar and the singer, there is NO WAY that you can hear any difference). It all sounds like EMG in a Les Paul. So people who put EMG's in an expensive guitar must (pick one of the below):
- not like the natural tone of the guitar itself
- like the compressed and sterile tone of EMG's alot (which is perfectly possible offcourse)
- be stupid and put in EMG's b3c4uz !Ts m3talzorz!!!!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
EMG's are tonesuckers in my opinion, i had them in an 84 japstrat for a while, and i thought they sounded like muck! but then again i havent heard them in much so my opinion probably has no grounds
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I made a few tests on my own (I own both a Hellraiser w/EMGs and Blackjack ATX w/blackouts) and according to the polls, quite a few people couldn't tell too much difference between either, and in some cases, thought one was the other.

Granted my playing at the time wasn't the best, and I was in a hurry, but it was still interesting to see.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
I made a few tests on my own (I own both a Hellraiser w/EMGs and Blackjack ATX w/blackouts) and according to the polls, quite a few people couldn't tell too much difference between either, and in some cases, thought one was the other.

Granted my playing at the time wasn't the best, and I was in a hurry, but it was still interesting to see.

I got that poll right (hooray!!), but i did find that the samples were EQ'ed HORRIBLY and that it was one pile of mud. You should redo them with better EQ settings.

EDIT: just like the new samples. What the hell are you doing dude? Turn down the bass, turn up the mids, put in some presence, and try to play on your bridge pickup if you arent.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 1, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL
I got that poll right (hooray!!), but i did find that the samples were EQ'ed HORRIBLY and that it was one pile of mud. You should redo them with better EQ settings.

I think it's just the way the were being recorded. I'm using a Guitar Rig Sessions input device and an MXR mic. I haven't done any real recording using this setup so still learning on what I need to tweak here and there, and how to do it. Sounds much better live than it does recorded. You can see the EQ settings in the picture. Clips were done neck pickup first, then switched immediately to bridge. Hopefully I'll have time to fiddle around with the recording setup this weekend and get a much "truer" sound.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Oct 1, 2008,
^hehe, i hope so. Just try to find out where its going wrong, because it really sounds horrible. And if we have to take polls choosing between mud or more mud, than it doesnt reflect the reality.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by lethaldosage45
Well the Schecter Hellraiser (mahogony) and the Jeff Loomis signature (swamp ash) both Emg's. They are 7 strings, made for downtuned metal, and both guitars supposedly sound different as well. I own the Loomis and it is bright like people say because swamp ash is extremely resonant and it has a maple fretboard which is also supposed to make it brighter. The mahogony Hellraiser is supposedly darker sounding with the mahogony and rosewood fretboard.

Both are great guitars and both sound good. I would def go with mahogony because theyre arent many guitars out there with swamp ash, and basswood is shit...

In my opinion, even though you have emg's the guitar may sound different depending on the wood used.

It's made of white ash, not swamp ash. White ash is denser, heavier, and brighter, and that guitar is HEAVY. Technically it's the same wood, but swamp ash is submerged under water for several year, making it lighter and more porous.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Mahoru
If you buy actives it's suposed to be because you like the actives' sound, so why get a pickup that tries to sound less like an active?

Because active pickups sound like total crap. The Blackouts are suppose to give you the power of an active pickup with the awesome tone of a passive!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Because active pickups sound like total crap. The Blackouts are suppose to give you the power of an active pickup with the awesome tone of a passive!

Well, I disagree. Many people like the actives' tone, and I've heard some really good tones with EMG's, much better than with some passives.
IMO it makes no sense making an active pickup that sounds like a passive (which isn't completely true, Blackouts have a weird tone between passive and active that is pretty bland for me). If I want passive tone with more power I get a passive with more power, that simple.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Blackouts are suppose to give you the power of an active pickup with the awesome tone of a passive!

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

Knowing how much he hates actives, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I think I can notice a difference in different shapes and woods, I prefer EMG's in Mahogany bodies. In fact I prefer everything in Mahogany bodies.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by lethaldosage45

Wait what...you'd take one wood over another just because the other is uncommon?? Also basswood is THE shit, not shit.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by theoreticmusic
Knowing how much he hates actives, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

No it wasnt.
I admit, i like blackouts better than emg's too, but they do not sound like passive pickups. they just play less compressed than EMG's.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl